RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
jww

Went by my local dealer yesterday to pick up a part. Naturally they have the "eye candy" parked right up front. Couple of new Diplomats and a Camelot. Could not help but notice that they all had a rubber trim gutter on the sides of each slide. With slides extended they ran on an angle, approx. 6" high at the coach down to approx. 2" at the outer slide flange. I suppose to divert water that gets past the seals? Anyone have knowledge of these? Would it be a good retrofit for my '03 Dip ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
jww

Went by my local dealer yesterday to pick up a part. Naturally they have the "eye candy" parked right up front. Couple of new Diplomats and a Camelot. Could not help but notice that they all had a rubber trim gutter on the sides of each slide. With slides extended they ran on an angle, approx. 6" high at the coach down to approx. 2" at the outer slide flange. I suppose to divert water that gets past the seals? Anyone have knowledge of these? Would it be a good retrofit for my '03 Dip ?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jww:
Went by my local dealer yesterday to pick up a part. Naturally they have the "eye candy" parked right up front. Couple of new Diplomats and a Camelot. Could not help but notice that they all had a rubber trim gutter on the sides of each slide. With slides extended they ran on an angle, approx. 6" high at the coach down to approx. 2" at the outer slide flange. I suppose to divert water that gets past the seals? Anyone have knowledge of these? Would it be a good retrofit for my '03 Dip ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd like something to divert the A/C runoff.. it seems to always pool on top of one of my toppers
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

put a rubber j rail at the top edge of the coach both sides from front to back.This also helpes with black streaks. Can pick up at most RV service supply stores.

2007 Monaco Camelot
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure we're talking about the same things here, are we?

I think jww is talking about a slanted ˜gutter' that is glued along the sides of a slide-out, near the bottom, that goes from where the slide-out touches the side-wall (when open) to the far end of the slide-out, right? And my guess is that Mbl Cndo and popeye are referring to something along the top edge of the roofline to keep water/rain from draining off and down the side of the coach, yes?

I think most of the later-model coaches (at least the ones I've snooped around) have the gutter and they do seem to do just as you mentioned. I had an annoying leak that I just could not fix, til I noticed that the gutter on the leaky-side wasn't tilted quite as far as the other gutters were. I pulled the gutter off (it's held on with double-stick tape, by the way) and re-aligned it with more of a tilt, and no more leaks! Evidently, the gutter helps channel water coming down the slide-out wall from wanting to go in towards the seam itself, and forces it out and away.

As far as the roofline weatherstrip question, I recently tried a piece of D-shape weatherstrip along the outside edge of the roofline, mainly to keep morning condensation and rain from pouring off and down the sides. I didn't have enough to go all the way around the coach, but what I did use seemed to work great. It channeled the water along the roof and towards the back of the coach, keeping most of it off the sides and the awnings. Soon's I get the time, I'm going to put some around the entire coach.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Is this the "gutter" you are referring to?

(the coach really is level..but I am hanging out the door taking the photo...ok?!) Ok.. I am heading to bed!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, 'Mama, I believe that is the gutter jww is referring-to, but we'll have to wait for his confirmation/correction to know fer sure.

Thanks for the pic, better'n a 1000 words (as they say)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
jww

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Yes the "gutter" in the photo is the one I am refering to. I assume this is to perform as a secondary means of preventing leaks. We have had an occational leak on our bedroom slide. Thought this might be good insurance, but sometimes new isn't always better.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Is this the "gutter" you are referring to?

(the coach really is level..but I am hanging out the door taking the photo...ok?!) Ok.. I am heading to bed!

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I need, now, where can I buy 80 feet of it?
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have these gutters on my '06 Camelot. I haven't had any leaks so I guess they are doing what they are supposed to do.

One note though---after having the coach for nearly a year, most of the outer seals were tearing at the point where the edge of the gutter came into contact with them as the slides are extending. The dealer recommended replacing the torn seals and I recommended that he take the sharp edge off of the gutters. These gutters are a very rigid plastic. So far...so good.
psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mbl Cndo:
That's what I need, now, where can I buy 80 feet of it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mbl Cndo...
Monaco Parts?

MM

(sorry-it is late and I am still clearing my emails )

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Leaks...? Not really. What's shown in Mama's picture is MCC's ten-cent solution to a ongoing $2000 problem many MCC owners have had over the years. Without the black rubber gutter water travels down the vertical slide side and runs off the bottom of the slide to the ground below. Most of the water anyway. Some on the water finds it's way onto the horizontal slide bottom where the vertical wall meets the horizontal slide bottom and seeps into the joint. Over time this rots the inner plywood badly enough that the fiberglass skin doesn't have a firm foundation and start to separate. Fortunately for MCC this process takes years. Enough time passes that the factory warranty has expired and the solution is your problem. Your first clue that this is occurring is when you find scraps of fiberglass and plywood on your carpet after the slide is extended. Seems to effect only the flush slides. Take a look under your slide. You may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

One year ago I discovered the damage and made the trip to Camp Monaco Elkhart to diagnose my slide bottom. Of course they had never seen anything like this before but had a band-aid solution quickly in mind. Too quickly I thought. They riveted an aluminum plate 8" wide under the slide to rejoin the vertical and horizontal panels. Kind of messy(oxidized aluminum marks on the carpet) but effective. End of story. Not quite.

Our next stop after the repairs was to the nearby 07 GLASS Rally. While talking around the campfire my repair came up and I was one of three who had this problem. Now one year later I'm sitting with three rigs and this came up last night. One of the rigs is a MCC HR Imperial and sure enough, to the surprise of the owner, his bottom is separating. This has been going on for many years and the black rubber gutter is MCC's fix rather than changing suppliers for the slide bottoms.

I don't want to sound like an unhappy MCC owner...I'm not! I love my 05 Dip and my next coach will probably be another Monaco. This is just a heads-up for all of you out there.

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
InflatableBoats4Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Really appreciate this post as it caused me to check out our new Camelot (2009 QDP). Lo and behold 3 slides had the plastic channel, but one (curbside front) did not. Going to check with Monaco to see if this was by design or careless omission. I think I already know this answer. Also while checking I noticed a tear in one of the seals where a channel was in place.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
jww

Thanks again for all of the replys folks. I purchased enough of the rubber "gutter" from my local dealer to install it on my 3 slide-outs. Install went good. Good point regarding the sharp edge damaging the seal over time. Cut them on an angle to hopefully prevent this from happening.
Mbl Cndo, my local dealer is Southaven RV, Southaven Ms.. The roll they cut my 18' from was almost gone. Sure they can get more. Buck plus change a foot.