RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide starting to bind

My rear curb side bedroom slide is starting act up. I believe it's a lippert. Electric only, no hydraulic. From outside, I can see where roller wheels are starting to dig into bottom of slide, ever so slightly. So I attached some heavy sheet metal on bottom of slide to protect from rollers. But I noticed after 4 or 5 times extending and retracting slide, a noticeable groove is cutting into the sheet metal. We've got a problem Houston.

I need to get to the rollers. From inside coach, I've taken the cabinet apart as much as possible. Took drawers out. Doesn't appear to have any access point to the rollers. From the outside, the motor is in the battery compartment ceiling. This compartment is right behind the rear wheels. The drive shaft comes out of the motor, front and back and has a gear to drive the slide in and out at each end of the shaft. The rear gear is inside the battery compartment, very close to the electric motor. It appears the front gear is inside the wheel well, above a heavy plastic guard to protect it from debris being flung up from the tires. Looks like I have to remove the rear wheels on that side, remove the plastic guard to get access to that particular roller. Any great wisdom before I start taking wheels off?

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I do not have a suggestion on the assembly, but on the steel plate you used. there is a thread on here somewhere, although not new, that he used a heavy stainless kickplate from a commercial door purchased at Lowes or Home depot. He drilled and countersunk it for flathead screws and put it on the bottom of the slide. There was another article recently about disassembly of the bed slide, electric only, to get at the rollers. That may help a little also. Hope this may help a little. Happy Trails Bert

Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobert View Post
I do not have a suggestion on the assembly, but on the steel plate you used. there is a thread on here somewhere, although not new, that he used a heavy stainless kickplate from a commercial door purchased at Lowes or Home depot. He drilled and countersunk it for flathead screws and put it on the bottom of the slide. There was another article recently about disassembly of the bed slide, electric only, to get at the rollers. That may help a little also. Hope this may help a little. Happy Trails Bert
Bert,

Thanks for replying.

I used that same concept for the sheet metal. The sheet metal is a wider than the rollers and the screws are outside the rollers path.

The slide is on the curb side. That is the TV and wood cabinets. I've taken the drawers out and taking a few trim pieces off but doesn't look like there is any access to the rollers. My bed is on street side. That one has pretty easy access from under the bed. I wish it was that slide acting up.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just a a quick update. I've been talking to several people off line about the slide problem.

I would encourage everyone to check the bottom of your slides for any unusual wearing/rub marks, etc. Maybe even water damage.

Chris T is telling me stories about coaches he's repaired or is repairing and much of the damage could be avoided if it was caught early on. Some of it is water related damage, but some is rollers getting out of alignment/breaking and the owner not noticing anything unusual.

Fortunately for me, I have zero damage. I'm still trying to figure out what is going on with my slide issue, but just wanted to share with anyone following this thread.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On mine, there is no access to anything under the drawers I do not think. The trib fron back and top is all velcroed on, the way it looks, and it appears to be very good velcro. In front of the dresser at the bottom of the slide, there is a valence that hides some wiring and the lines to the rear aquahot register and I would bet there may be access to the rollers from there, or at least able to see them. The other thread on the bed slide, referred to the rear roller and it was a spring loaded affair and fairly easy to remove, the curb side may be the same. It also had ordering and replacement information. A link is below. Hope this may help, I have not had that area of the coach apart yet. Happy Trails Bert

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bedr...er-359585.html
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Another possibility for the binding, is maybe the loss of some of the little black rollers that run in the guide tracks of the slide mechanism. This is another area I have to investigate on mine. Just something more to muddle the conversation a little. Bert
Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobert View Post
Another possibility for the binding, is maybe the loss of some of the little black rollers that run in the guide tracks of the slide mechanism. This is another area I have to investigate on mine. Just something more to muddle the conversation a little. Bert
Bert,

It very well could be. I'm finding that monaco used several different types of slide mechanisms and rollers. Mine are all electric, but some coaches have electric on one side and hyro on the other. I've got 2 totally different rollers on the same slide--go figure that one. The 2 rear slides in the back are completely different. the bed slide has only 1 arm extending it out (centered) and is mounted to the slide bottom and on the other side of the coach (the slide I'm having problems with), it has 2 'arms' that extend the slide out and they are NOT attached to the bottom of the slide, just the outside flange.

I'm learning way more than my pay grade, but it's fascinating.

Tags
slide