Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Slide topper

Evening everyone. We just got our coach home and gettiready to leave. We have a 2011 knight 36pft with a full wall slide. The slide topper was replaced. The slide topper didn't retract all the way and part of it went in with the slide. Major bummer. Any suggestions on how to adjust or fix this? Tha k you guys for the help. I have really enjoyed reading a bunch of posts, and have already gotten some great tips and info! Thanks for being a great group!
Tucsonsold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like the topper is not retracting into the tube, when the slide out is pulled in. Did you watch it retract from outside the coach? This might help to see what is occurring.

I removed all four slide toppers because the thread had degraded. I took them to a boat sewing shop who sewed in new thread. I then reinstalled all the toppers. I did this job entirely by myself. It was time consuming. Better to have at least one helper.

There is a long spring inside the topper tube. That spring is under tension. If you carefully remove the tube ends you can increase the tension using a vice grip tool. This might be your solution.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
having had several problems with the topper on our full wall slide, my guess is that either the new topper was not the same size so the current spring tension is insufficient to fully retract. OR the spring was untensioned when the old topper was removed, and insufficiently tensioned when replaced. OR even possible that the spring is broken or the endcap is worn.
I've had to retension mine multiple times ... severe wind caused an endcap failure; missing washer led to endcap failure; and broken spring also occurred.
In every case, I managed to resolve the tension issue (after new endcaps and/or new spring) with the help of ladders and tools. I found vice grip style oil filter wrenches from Harbor Freight were the perfect size to grab and turn the roller to tension the spring.
My topper is a Carefree Colorado unit, and their online manual showed how many turns I needed ...
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
If you paid someone to install the new topper, then they are responsible to make it right.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the info everyone
Tucsonsold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide