On Monday evening we heard a loud noise, went outside and found the slide topper on our front road side had unrolled. On Sunday evening we had a lot of heavy rain so we figured the weight of the water that had collect on material had caused the spring to come lose. Today we took the fabric off the roller and inspected the roller and the end caps. We could fine nothing wrong with the roller but did find that the tab on the inside of the RH cap was bent.
I tried to straighten it but the tip broke off. I cut off all of the tab and added a Stainless Steel screw to take the place of the tab.
After reassembling we were able to tension the spring the recommended 20 turns and reinstaled the fabric. Everything is working fine now we will have to wait and see if the screw is a good substitute for the tab. Hope this write-up helps other with slide toppers.