Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Slide Topper Sagging Can they be adjusted?

It seems to me that the RV toppers on my RV are not as tight as they could be and water tends to accumulate after a rain. So, my question is can they be adjusted to tighten them up? If so, what is the procedure? These are Care Free of Colorado toppers with the plastic trim that hides the roller.

Thanks! Bill

06 Scepter
Black Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Short answer is probably no. If the toppers are tight in the center then they are probably tight enough. What happens is the material will stretch on the ends and then droop. You could try tightening them a little but if you get them too tight it will interfere with the slide extending. To tighten them with the slide in unroll about one turn, you will find a hole in the outside edge on the end with the spring in it. Insert a nail or small screw driver in the hole to keep the topper from re winding. remove the topper, roll up the loose material and re install the topper. Remove nail and test.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they can definitely be tightened! Contact the topper manufacturer and give them the model # of your topper. They will e-mail you the instructions to do this. I did this on my bedroom slide topper a few months ago and the difference was amazing!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've adjusted a couple of mine and it's not too difficult. That said, once the factory material starts to stretch they just aren't the same. Better material is in order.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Slide Topper Sagging Can they be adjusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Smoke View Post
It seems to me that the RV toppers on my RV are not as tight as they could be and water tends to accumulate after a rain. So, my question is can they be adjusted to tighten them up? If so, what is the procedure? These are Care Free of Colorado toppers with the plastic trim that hides the roller.

Thanks! Bill

06 Scepter

If you have a Carefree topper pm me an email address and I'll forward you the instructions carefree sent me. I did mine. Two person job with two ladders will take about an hour.

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
YC1

I found the threads on one of mine had rotted and allowed the material to slip a bit. I can tell you it can be hazardous removing the material. It took the tip of my finger and fingernail. Stupid dumb mistake. I know better but just got impatient.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I found the threads on one of mine had rotted and allowed the material to slip a bit. I can tell you it can be hazardous removing the material. It took the tip of my finger and fingernail. Stupid dumb mistake. I know better but just got impatient.

The threads had pulled out on my BR slide topper. I removed it completely and took it to a local upholstery shop where they restitched it.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The threads had pulled out on my BR slide topper. I removed it completely and took it to a local upholstery shop where they restitched it.
The wifey pulled out her trusty machine and made it better than new. Guess I should have her stitch my finger.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Most topper are adjustable. You just need to bde careful as they are spring loaded and can snap and injure you.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

If tight on center, it is unlikely U can tighten if only edges are loose. Check threads, if breaking or rotten, only replacement will work. Get with Chris at Stone Vos LLC, chris@stonevos.com, for the best replacement toppers, double stitch & great fit. David White '05 Windsor.
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide