Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #29
Commercial Member

I have been extremely busy lately so am sorry I am late answering this. I have a completely different technique for adding tension to a slide topper. It is used regardless of the Carefree model you have. My method is the safer way of doing it without risking loosing all tension on a spring and breaking it.

1.) Determine the model assembly you have - Omega I, Omega II, SOK I, SOK II, SOKIII, Ascent, Alpine. The spring is located either on the left or right depending on the model. Some models are double sprung meaning they have springs at both ends _ Summit XL's for example.

2.) Once you determine which side the spring is on, remove the cover.

3.) Drive a 1 inch # 10 self taping screw into the hole on top of the roller tube near the end where the spring is. This locks the spring in place.

4.) If you have an SOK II assembly then loosen the spring hold down bolt on the left end. If you have an SOK III assembly loosen the bolts on the right end cap and tilt it out so the cog wheel on the spring is free.

5.) Now bring your slide in 4 inches.

6.) Tighten the slack fabric on the roller tube. Now tighten the hold down bolt on the SOK II assembly or put the right end cap back on the SOK III assembly.

7. Remove the screw

8. Run your slide in and out once and then recheck the tension on the fabric.
If it is tight put the cover back on and you are done. If it is still loose then repeat this procedure.

Always remember to never get aggressive with older springs, you can break them. Every 4 inches of slide travel equals one complete wind. Always put one wind in at a time and test for proper tension. Never release all of the tension on an older spring and then retention it. Chances are they will break in the very near future.

Hope this helps all of you,

Chris T
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #30
Commercial Member

In regards to restitching older fabric.

The determining factor when to restitch or buy new fabric rests solely on the fabric you currently have.

# 1 - Does it fit your slide well and cover the ends of the slide roof properly ? If not then you are wasting a bunch of time restitching a fabric that will not properly keep water off the roof of your slide ( which will go directly to interior floors of your coach ).

# 2 - How old is the fabric ? If it is 5 years or less and in good shape and covers the slide roof well then restitching is fine.

# 3 - If the fabric is close to 5 yrs old then you should do a water repellency test. Spray some water on your topper then check to see if any percolates through. If it does then the fibers have seperated and the fabric should be replaced.

I am all for coach owners saving money and restitching is one good way to do that. But I have seen guys restitch toppers that were too short or beyond their life expectancy and they ended up causing leaks inside the slides and cost them 4 times the money in repairs then if they would have just replaced the fabric.

It is very hard for me to tell someone if their fabric is OK to restitch without testing it, feeling it and looking at it. After a decade of experience I am pretty much spot on when I can see it in person. But over the internet it is impossible. I am sure you can all understand.

Chris T
Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #31

Deflappers also work great for using as handles to stretch fabric....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:19 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Chris T - As usual, you've come up with a clear and simple explanation of a potentially difficult (and maybe dangerous) task.

Many thanks for your insight and help!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Chris T - As usual, you've come up with a clear and simple explanation of a potentially difficult (and maybe dangerous) task.

Many thanks for your insight and help!
You are very welcome sir. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !!

Chris T
Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
And a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too.

Looking forward to meeting you in person at the Monacoer's Gathering in February.

Tags
slide