Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Slideout bolts

We have a new to us 2008 Monaco Diplomat back from our first trip to Florida.

While inspecting the slide out rack and pinion system, I found sheared slide out bolts on 2 large slides. I also noticed the replacement screw which hopefully was a quick fix but not permanently repaired.

I'm looking for technical specs for replacement of these bolts. Any help/suggestions on repair will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
Attached Images

Tdccmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

1/4 inch x 2 inches long, grade 8 -- That tech screw you see is where you adjust the slide, & needs to be there -- The bolt needs to be long enough so no threads are inside the shaft -- The thread is the weakest part of the bolt -- Carry spare bolts -- they`re not a Monaco part -- George
George Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

You can buy these bolts at any hardware or Home Depot, I carry Spares.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

I carry spare bolts also but you should check the bolt that hold the gear box in place. I could turn my by hand, removed each one and applied blue loctite to each bolt.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
This may be a different problem than you have, but my 2007 Scepter had a slide issue when new and Monaco provided a replacement slide motor. The coach started breaking these shear pins after that at random times. Several times it didn't break the bolt, it sheared the axle off the drive gear. It also started rounding the hole in the square drive tube where the bolts sheared. This went on for a few years with multiple trips to the dealer, independent repair facility and one trip to the Monaco factory in Oregon. When it would shear the gear axle it would require road service to support the slide and reverse the gear to get the slide back in. Finally took it to a facility in Oregon that discovered when the new motor was installed it was larger than the original, causing it to overdrive the slide before turning off, and shearing the bolts or axle. Oregon facility modified control circuits and we haven't had a problem for three of four years now. You might check with Power Gear to see if your motor and controller are compatible. In my case it had Power Gear motor but Monaco designed controller.

Tags
slide, slideout