RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

slider seal replacement

I have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat 40'with two slide outs which require seal replacement. From what I have read on the forum, there is a ZML 6705 seal which is better than original installed equipment. Before I order new seals can you experienced and knowledgeable folks please confirm this is the way to go...regards Alan

outage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
First, determine if the current seals touch the sides and top of your slides. If one is a bedroom or closet slide, check the same seal on the bottom. The bottom seal on the kitchen slide is different. If the seal wiper does not touch the slide side, then you should consider ordering one of longer length. If it touches on one side but not the other, then the slide is not adjusted correctly. If it does not touch the top, then again the slide is not adjusted correctly and needs vertical adjustment.

There are two companies I know of that make the seal, Uni-Grip and Clear Seal. The one made by Uni-Grip will not last as the metal teeth are exposed and will rust out. I use this type the first time and only got a year out of the seal. The one made by Clear Seal has the teeth covered with rubber. Clear Seal has a rather large minimum order, but you can order small quantities of that seal from the following:

ParKin Accessories Inc.
2920 Gateway Dr
Elkhart, IN 46514
800-637-8938
http://www.parkin-acc.com/page39.html

See the picture below for what the Clear Seal looks like. There is not much room to work installing the seal. Your fingers will be very sore. I used a wide flat pry bar to help press the seal onto the coach wall levering against the side (and bottom on the bedroom slide). The top is a different problem as the roof of the slides will not support any weight, and will flex easily. I placed a 1 x 4 on the roof to lever against but even that was difficult due to the flexing. Mostly for the top, I lay on the roof working the seal into place and squeezing with my fingers.

There is another seal on the slides. It is on the back of the slide outer wall and compresses to the side of the coach when the slide is closed. This seal is a peel and stick and much easier to install. GREAT CARE should be taken at the top corners of the slide with this seal. NOTE the hole in the coach wall the slide goes into has square corners. This outside seal should be installed so these top corners are completely covered when the slide is closed or the slide will leak (see picture below - this one leaked). Monaco installed these somewhat rounded rather than squaring them off. You can do the same but make sure the rounding is as close to the outside edge as possible so it will cover the wall corner.

Hope this is helpful to your project. If you have additional questions let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top rear closed.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	21502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1788.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	21503  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #3

slider seal replacement

Thanks Rex for the info..I believe the clear seal zml 6705 is the way to go ( as per other forum updates) and 50' is the minimum purchase from Parkins Accessories-which is ok for the kitchen and bedroom slider. Looks like a rough job on the hands though. Thanks again for the info..
regards Alan
outage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Alan, if you don't know how to remove the slide awnings safely and to pin or unwind the internal springs, let me know rbdtanasi at gmail and I will send you a PDF write-up on doing that. I did it with just a little help the first time and recently replaced the awnings all by myself. If you have never removed the awnings, you will need the information on how to do it.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, seal