Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Slides

2004 H.R. Imperial states that you should have the air at full capacity before putting slides out. Why is this necessary? Need to put bedroom slide out to pack RV but hate to start motor just to fill the air and not run the engine till it reaches proper temp.
macbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

The only reason I can think of is they want air in all the airbags for motorhome stability
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The only reason I can think of is they want air in all the airbags for motorhome stability
Many Motor home manuals state that you have to have the seat forward, the emergency brake on and the Jacks Down With the coach level before opening the slides. This to prevent damage to the slide mechanism and the slide rails. I have seen slide stuck half way out or would not retract, because proper procedure was not followed.
Mel
Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Monaco also originally stated that in the manuals but due to many failures they changed the procedure. As most people know that after leveling you have doors that bind and that chassis twist that causes that can screw up the slide when it is moving in or out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Have you read the manual? That is the procedure, full air then slides out. Apparently this was the way it was built RV at full air then slides were installed and retracted.

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My understanding is that with the air full it levels the coach so the slides work properly.
most other coaches are different.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Many Motor home manuals state that you have to have the seat forward, the emergency brake on and the Jacks Down With the coach level before opening the slides.
Yes, most manufacturers say that. But not Monaco.

I guess they feel a straight frame/body is more important than a level frame. With the jacks down, it's not difficult to twist the frame and make the slide openings not square, especially if the site is not level. When on the fully inflated suspension, the air bags have enough give to them that the odds of a twisted frame are much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob View Post
but hate to start motor just to fill the air and not run the engine till it reaches proper temp.
Do you have an air compressor? There should be a male stud air fitting up front (mine is inside the generator compartment by the passenger headlight.) It's there so a tow truck can supply air to the coach so that the parking brake can be released. If you have a compressor and air hose, you can attach to that and re-inflate the suspension without starting the coach. (I've done that before, but it can take a long time if you only have a small compressor.) But I only resort to that if I'm opening up all of the slides getting ready to do major maintenance, like de-winterizing and spring cleaning. If I'm just opening one bedroom slide to be able to get clothes in the closet, I don't bother. If you go this route, listen for the sharp short purge of air from the air governor/dryer, and be sure to stop filling once it triggers - it will purge when the pressure is high enough, just like it does when the engine is running.

I think being on the air bags is most important for the big flush-floor front slides (and especially a full wall slide.) I don't have any official word to back it up, but I don't worry as much about the above-the-floor cable driven bedroom slide: it seems to be a rather robust mechanism.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep, Monaco and it's three off springs (Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari), require the suspension to be full of air (with jacks stowed) prior to putting slides out or in. Exactly the opposite of all other manufacturers.

Those of you who do not have a Monaco product should not be giving advice that is contrary to what Monaco states in their owner manuals. It may be true for your mh, but if it's not a Monaco, you're just giving out bad advice.

I had my Safari for six years and I always (well, with a couple of exceptions) went by the manual and I never had a problem with either of my slides.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Slides out, air down, jacks down.
Jacks up, air up, slides in.

I build air up to about 75 psi then bring the jacks up. It seems to be smoother than raising the jacks with little to no air.

Tags
slide