Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Joe here is what I do on a Gas RV. I arrive and set the jacks with the engine running, then I shut off the RV and put the slides out. I do the reverse when leaving. I have Lippert jacks, and a little hint to you that there is a circuit breaker usually within 18" of the battery that can trip. When it does it looks like a "L". Mine is mouted on the lower frame below the battery.

Good Luck.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Joe here is what I do on a Gas RV. I arrive and set the jacks with the engine running, then I shut off the RV and put the slides out. I do the reverse when leaving. I have Lippert jacks, and a little hint to you that there is a circuit breaker usually within 18" of the battery that can trip. When it does it looks like a "L". Mine is mouted on the lower frame below the battery.

Good Luck.
This is not a Monaco Product. Follow you own manufacturers recommendations, not some other Manufacturers.
Why is this so hard for people to do??
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
SLIDES OUT FIRST
AND IN LAST
IF YOU ARE A MONACO PRODUCT OWNER
Do not follow any other Manufacturer's Directions!!!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
The Oracle has spoken and I would listen.

Lew
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Oracle What is the The Oracle Anyway do what you feel is right. Seems like people here have different opinions. That's good mayby not right, but good.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Thats how I've always done it Joe. The only way I can see to get around having to start twice is to not dump air. It's a Monaco thing for sure.

I've never tried airing up before retracting the jacks. I've never even tried to use the jacks while the engine was running...I thought there was some kind of lock-out to prevent them from working. I'm going to give it a try the next time we break camp. I know that doing it the way I do now, when I retract the jacks you KNOW they have released.

Always learning...gotta love these forums
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I explained,I have a GAS Engine, and was only commenting on the jacks. You have to have the engine running for the jacks to run properly. That's all, that simple.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
The Oracle What is the The Oracle Anyway do what you feel is right. Seems like people here have different opinions. That's good mayby not right, but good.
Shellback1...The Monaco brand owners have been explicitly told to put slides out first and in last by the Manufacturer. It comes down to how Monaco builds their coaches. It is not the same for any other brand - but I promise you...the Monaco techs will tell you in no uncertain terms to do it no other way. I have actually had them come running -waving their hands and yell at me to ask what I was doing when I started to pull the slide in first when I was at the factory service center...so I now "preach to the choir" about the proper procedure. This time it is right and good.
(I hope you are following your manufacturer's recommendations and not doing it as I have told the Monaco Owners to do)

Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
As I explained,I have a GAS Engine, and was only commenting on the jacks. You have to have the engine running for the jacks to run properly. That's all, that simple.
Thank You for explaining what you were referring to...I become very passionate when there can be a misunderstanding about the slides and jack procedure on the Monaco brands...no matter what type of engine the Monaco owner may have.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Shellback1...The Monaco brand owners have been explicitly told to put slides out first and in last by the Manufacturer. It comes down to how Monaco builds their coaches. It is not the same for any other brand - but I promise you...the Monaco techs will tell you in no uncertain terms to do it no other way. I have actually had them come running -waving their hands and yell at me to ask what I was doing when I started to pull the slide in first when I was at the factory service center...so I now "preach to the choir" about the proper procedure. This time it is right and good.
(I hope you are following your manufacturer's recommendations and not doing it as I have told the Monaco Owners to do)

Ok you put the slides out, now what? Do you start the MH and put down the jacks, or do you put the jacks down with the RV off? That is my point, you should put the jacks down with the engine running to avoid any problems, as well as taking them up. But ------ You all decide what is best.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Shellback1...We turn our key to accessory position in order to put the jacks down. I do not believe that Monacos can have the engine running in order to lower the jacks.

I have not done it any other way. Monaco Owners.. am I wrong in my thought here?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Before I picked up my coach I had them show me the correct procedure for setting up and tearing down. We actually did it many times since I had never owned a class A before. I've always had it in my head that the jacks don't work with the engine running, but not sure if the dealer told me that or if I read it someplace.

In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter...if the engine will run with the jacks down but the jacks won't retract with the engine running then I will just let the coach air up, and when I shutdown the engine to retract the slides I can raise the jacks.

I'd prefer to raise the jacks first since I check they are up while the coach is airing up. I think there is an audible alarm if you try to engage the transmission with the jacks down...I'd hate to forget to raise them and try driving the coach. Not sure I want to change my procedures at this point since they are just in my head and not written down. But I think I have everything in a logical sequence. Kinda like an airplane pre-flight inspection with built-in double checks.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #27

Wow. I am the original poster and I didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest. I probably didn't communicate my thoughts well.

Please re-read my original post. I was commenting on how, if one follows the Owner's Manual for my Safari (a Monaco coach), the engine must be started twice upon arrival or departure. Again this appears to be a strictly Monaco idiosyncrasy.

Here are the relevant sections from the manual (quoted verbatim):

"LEVELING - HYDRAULIC

Safety Features:
The leveling system has safety features to prevent a jack from extending during travel. The control panel will not activate until the following safety features are in place.

- Transmission is in Neutral.
- Parking brake is applied
- Ignition switch is ON and the engine is running."

And for the slides:

"NOTE:
Ignition must be OFF and park brake set to extend the slide-out room. The slide-out room can be retracted with the ignition on; however, the jacks must be retracted and the motorhome supported by the air suspension before operating the slide-out."

As Monaco Mama and others have indicated, when all else fails, follow the Owner's Manual, even if the procedures seem redundant, can be accomplished by other means, and are not necessarily what is done by other manufacturers.

Whew !! I think I'm going to go and lay down now. I've spoken my last. Others can continue the argument.
Injun Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Joe your confusion comes from people who have no knowledge commenting on a process that is Monaco centric. I think most Monaco owners have come to realize that the Monaco procedure for slides is different than most other makers.

I know in the past there has been a discussion about an error in some of the Monaco's that said the engine had to be running to extend the jacks. This is wrong, the key may need to be in the Accessory or On position but the engine does not need to be running. If fact in my coach running the engine would defeat the requirement to dump the air out of the suspension system before leaving.

So here is what I do:
On Arrival
Park in Site
Place Transmission in neutral
Set Park Brake
Turn Engine off
Extend Slides
Dump Air holding down Dump Air Switch on Dash
Turn key to on position (mine will not work in accessory but some do)
Turn on Jack System
Press the Auto button
Once coach is level turn off key and jack system

Departing:
Start Coach and let Air pressure get to over 90 psi
Turn on Jack System and press retract all
Turn off engine
Retract Slides
Start Engine and drive off

As you can see you never need to start the engine after you are parked for arriving. I do agree that I have to start and stop the engine once for departing. You should test the procedure to see if the engine really needs to be running to extend and retract your jacks.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote