Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
  • Monaco is probably the ONLY RV manufacturer who actually puts the slides on the frame with the chassis in the "travel mode" (bags aired up) in the industry.
  • The rig will also not hold the level position if you put the slides out AFTER you have leveled - the weight distribution has just shifted with the weight of the slides changing this factor.
  • MM,
With all due respect to both you and Sacs, I simply don't buy the first reason. Like Kevin, I think its hard to imagine any other manufacturer who does NOT install the slides that way. Even if the bags weren't aired up, I don't think the coach would be any less level on a concrete factory floor. Putting air in the bags, however, would be safer for the suspension parts as the coach is moving down the line.

The second reason you state does make some sense to me with the three jack system, especially with the extremely heavy slide we have on the road side. I don't think it would make all that much difference on a 4-slide coach, however.

I really do suspect that Monaco's method has a lot to do with protecting the windshield. That is why I would REALLY like to know just when Monaco started prescribing the "slides first method" on the raised rail chassis.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
MM,[/LIST]....I really do suspect that Monaco's method has a lot to do with protecting the windshield. That is why I would REALLY like to know just when Monaco started prescribing the "slides first method" on the raised rail chassis.
Robin..I have a few phone numbers to people I trust who should be able to answer this question without bias and the corporate BS...I will let you know what I find out...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Robin..I have a few phone numbers to people I trust who should be able to answer this question without bias and the corporate BS...I will let you know what I find out...
MM... That sounds like a great idea. Also, it would be great to hear a truely convincing reason for Monaco's method from an engineering type (not a tech rep or a salesman who is just repeating what's in the book.) I am NOT saying that Monaco is wrong. I believe they have a reason for wanting it done their way. However, sceptic that I am, I would LOVE to be convinced that there is a really good reason for Monaco's instructions other than the windshield (which for me is reason enough).
Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
MM... I would LOVE to be convinced that there is a really good reason for Monaco's instructions other than the windshield (which for me is reason enough).
Give me a couple of days, Robin... One of my contacts truely heading out into "no-man's land" with nothing more than a tent...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
MM/Robin/Jim, would it be "fair to even say/speculate" that it just might be possible that "the same engineer that designed the 4RR rear axle failing trailing arms, designed the chassis spec's and thus the air bag slide-out procedures for Monaco....I mean is that possible?
Am I looking under the wrong rock..sometimes, just because it's written, doesn't mean it's always actually true!...engineer via tech world reality...
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Since everyone is speculating here I might as well get my .02 cents worth in. In my humble opinion it does not matter what state the motorhome is in when you put the small bedroom slides in or out. I think the only concern would be with the large slides that have a large opening. This opening could be distorted by the jacks. If you have the air bag leveling system probably does not matter because the frame is not stressed.

I once had a 58 Chevy convertible (yes I am old enough) that would bang the doors against the door frame when hitting dips in the road. Yes I was young and my foot may have been a little heavy.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #49
rek

I am new to owning a Motorhome. Is this a real problem worrying about breaking your windshield. I have not seen this as a topic on any forum although I have not looked for this subject.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocUSAF View Post
MM/Robin/Jim, would it be "fair to even say/speculate" that it just might be possible that "the same engineer that designed the 4RR rear axle failing trailing arms, designed the chassis spec's and thus the air bag slide-out procedures for Monaco....I mean is that possible?
Am I looking under the wrong rock..sometimes, just because it's written, doesn't mean it's always actually true!...engineer via tech world reality...
Doc,

I do not think the trailing arms would be affected by the slide outs. I do believe that there is a point to be made about the 3 point leveling system and the slide outs. It would make sense that undo force/torque could be placed on the jacks and the frame if extending a single front slide, one at a time, with a single front jack extended. I'm a pretty good size boy and I can rock/pivot the coach on the front jack by walking across the room with both slides out!

The question above about windshields and torque is a real one as well. I had a Newmar Mountainaire that I extended a four jack system on uneven ground (one jack on concrete, the other on soft ground) and torqued the windshield frame and it cracked. Newmar replaced it under warranty, and I was more careful after that.

The front cap on motor homes have a cutout for the windshield and it essentially floats in the rubber molding against the fiberglass frame. If the tolerances are too tight and you torque the frame, the windshield can crack. Tolerances too loose and the windshield can leak. This has been more of a problem on certain Coaches than others. It has also been a quality control issue on individual coaches when the windshields were installed.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek View Post
I am new to owning a Motorhome. Is this a real problem worrying about breaking your windshield. I have not seen this as a topic on any forum although I have not looked for this subject.
rek,

There have been discussions on this forum about that from time to time. You have to be careful with that big one piece windshield when jerking the coach around on jacks. Monaco has only had the one piece windshield on the raised rail chassis coaches (Camalot level on down) since the 2006 model year. They had a bit of a problem in certain coaches making the cut-out in the front cap large enough in all directions to allow enough room for the windshields to move sufficuently when placing twisting torquie on the frame. You hear less about this problem in coaches built in 2008 and later, but the chance of popping a corner or getting a crack is always present. That is why there is only one jack in the front - so that the front of the coach has a pivot point when leveling. Therefore, you always want to get that front jack touching the ground first when leveling the coach.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Since everyone is speculating here I might as well get my .02 cents worth in. In my humble opinion it does not matter what state the motorhome is in when you put the small bedroom slides in or out. I think the only concern would be with the large slides that have a large opening. This opening could be distorted by the jacks. If you have the air bag leveling system probably does not matter because the frame is not stressed.
Bob,

I think your assumptions are all correct. The question that comes to mind, however, is... "is it the slides or the one-piece windshiled that caused Monaco to recommend their suggested method of leveling?" Another question that occrs to me is, "If you MUST level on a spot where the ground is uneven to the extent that the airbags themselves cannot remove all the twisting torque on the frame, would it then be safer to level the coach BEFORE extending the slides?" That's what I would do. Other more "buy-the-book" folks might say never to try and level the coach in such a spot, and always follow Monaco's "slides out first" rule.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
OK, so I'm still checking under this rock...my concern was a bit more focused on an engineering/design procedure type issue for slide outs...
Somebody at monaco had to design the RR4R chassis with the flawed trailing arms problem that cracks, and somebody at monaco had to the write the slide out procedures, I just wondered if it might be the same engineer/person who accomplished both!... or why not?
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure I understand where you're headed, but I will take another crack at it.

Engineers in large companies in todays world seldom do design engineering and write documentation such as the slide out procedure. The documentation is normally left up to a Technical Writer. The Technical Writer does get input from the engineers.

I doubt the same Engineers that worked on Roadmaster Chassis ever talked to the Engineers that worked on Slide outs except to tell them weight and load torque. In summary I doubt they were one in the same.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whenever I put the slides out before I level, I always have to relevel because the weight of the slides seem to unlevel the coach. Call me crazy I guess!

Bill
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by becker View Post
I have a question..... I have a 2008 Monaco Dynasty with air leveling only..... where is my air dump switch?

Thanks.

Becker
You don't have one....you don't have an air dump with the air leveling system...Neither my old coach, a 2007 Dynasty nor my current coach, a 2008 Signature have an air dump switch.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote