Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
3 thoughts:
(1) The RV should be stable b4 moving the slides (e.g. Jacks down b4 moving slides)
(2) While resting on the wheels, the Chassis is on a predefined plane or balance that may not be (and likely will not) the same after the jacks attempt to level. The chassis could be flexed by the jacks and cause unknown measurements that put strain spots on the slides. Hence, move slides first, then lower jacks.
(3) Do what the manufacture recommends
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, thanks..that's exactly the answer I was hoping to hear!...you've been a great assett to all of us here in this forum...Keep up the outstanding work...all knowing great OZ of wonderland!. By the way, you think maybe you could possibly fix "health care"....just joking...
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting you would talk about Wonderland, my Wife says I live in Fantasy Land.

I would love a crack at healthcare!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #60
rek

I think most on this topic have diesel pushers, I have a new Monarch gasser on a w22 chassis with 4 leveler legs and have the single piece windshield. We have the large slideout on the drivers side. I had been putting the slideouts out last but will now start putting them out first before leveling. I came from the fifth wheel/trailer world which tells you to level first.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek View Post
I think most on this topic have diesel pushers, I have a new Monarch gasser on a w22 chassis with 4 leveler legs and have the single piece windshield. We have the large slideout on the drivers side. I had been putting the slideouts out last but will now start putting them out first before leveling. I came from the fifth wheel/trailer world which tells you to level first.
rek..I would almost bet all other manufacturers but Monaco say "slides out last"...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
There are times I wish I could sleep, but then again, I would not think about things like this.

Picture yourself standing in the middle of your coach looking forward. Got the image, now have someone extend one of your front slides (for those with one front slide). Notice the coach compress the air bag/shock as it goes out to cushion the increase in leverage from the center point of weight distribution which will shift and be greatest at full extension while pressure is taken off the opposing air bag/shock.

Extend your second front slide (for those with two slides) and notice the coach again absorbing the force of increasing weight as it shifts the center of weight point back the other way until it is fully extended. The bags/shocks absorb the shift of weight from center to one side and back to center when the other slide is extended, the coach frame does not take the stress, the bags/shocks do.

Next, bring the slides in and level your coach using your leveling jacks, do the same exercise of extending each slide and you will note that the frame is going to take the stress and twist with the weight shift because now it is rigid because you are on the jacks and not the forgiving bags/shocks.

If you have a 4 point leveling system, the frame will take the torque of the weight change as the frame is now rigid because it is on the jacks, the direction of the extending slide will receive more torque than the other side. If you have a 3 point leveling system, the coach will pivot on the center point and the frame will not receive the torque on one side only.

After your finished with the test, if you have one of those pretty single pane windshields, picture someone with a sledgehammer hitting the top corner on one side and the bottom corner on the other side, at the same time. That would be the equivalent torque put on the windshield frame.

I think I have determined the definitive answer, 4 point levelers, slides first, levelers second, 3 point levelers either way will work. For those with large slides and single pane windshields, the problem would be worse. I do believe that all full wall slides have 4 point systems. If you are way off level in your assigned space, move to another space before you either level with jacks or extend the slides!

For those of you who can sleep at night, come up with your own conclusion!

See if all of this makes sense to those that read this post.

Jim Stewart
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #63

Jim Stewart said:
"I do believe that all full wall slides have 4 point systems."

Nope,, all the new Monaco's have 3 point not 4...Including the 29' Long PanaSuite slide.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
I stand corrected and still awake!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #65
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
After reading these Monaco threads on slides first or level first for years, I still fail to understand the aversion to following the manufacturers procedure.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #66
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
After reading these Monaco threads on slides first or level first for years, I still fail to understand the aversion to following the manufacturers procedure.

Same here.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Same here.

In this case my aversions starts with hello, I'm from Monaco and your Trailing Arms will be just fine!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I certainly have no aversion to following the manual, as I have stated before. I think what comes up is the question as to why Monaco's procedure is completely opposite of every other manufacturer. My guess is that this would come up even less if Monaco would have supplied an answer to the question with something better than "because the slides were put in when the chassis was aired up".

I'm not "fighting" anybody about this, I just have a curiosity as to how things work.

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #69
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone encountered problems with slides first?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by digNbubbs View Post
I'm not "fighting" anybody about this, I just have a curiosity as to how things work.
Same here.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote