Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slides won't move without Genny

On my 2006 Monarch, I have 2 slides. I have discovered that they will only work using the generator. They will not move under shore power or with the engine running. Is this normal? If not, what could be the issue?
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of our rigs have a ignition lock-out preventing slide movement (in or out) when the engine is running.

As for "not with shore power" but "OK with genny" is telling me that the Genny is producing an adequate amount of DC voltage (and amperage) to allow the slide-motor(s) to function.

I'm guessing that something is wrong with the house battery bank. It could be that the bank is not being charged (i.e., they are dead), or a bad battery connection (be it a positive OR negative connection) is failing when you try to operate the slide(s).

Start with a good visual check of battery connections and their grounds. Also measure the battery voltage when shore power is disconnected (and the genny is NOT running). If under 12.2 volts, something is wrong.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
So, should I be able to operate the slides on battery power?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

The coaches I am familiar with, the slide motors were 12 volt. Again every manufacturer is different, but with my Fleetwood products the diesel engine is supposed to be running to operate the slides. This is because the engine can produce 160 +- amps of 12 volt current to give the slide motors adequate voltage/current. On my coach the generator puts out 120 AC volts then the inverter (/converter) changes some of that voltage to 12 volts (up to 100 amps) to charge the batteries.

IF your coach is set up like mine, I am concerned that the slide will not work when plugged into short power since shore power and generator power both go to the same inverter/converter to charge the batteries.

Robi.1014 makes a great point about the batteries. This would be the first place I would look. Check for clean wire connections. Then check the batteries them selves. A good hydrometer can check the battery acid to see if they are charged or not.

Just a side comment: If you check the batteries, first take a picture showing all the batteries, then pictures of each battery. There can be a lot of wires connecting to the batteries and it is real easy to get them mixed up when taking them off. Also be careful. Battery banks pack a wallop is shorted out. You can weld steel with the energy they contain. Be really careful with wrenches touching and shorting.

Keep us informed as to what you find out. We are all learning all the time and your input is vital.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricco View Post
So, should I be able to operate the slides on battery power?

Yes. If your batteries and connections are good.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #6

Lets know I have a similar question. Supposedly my house batteries are new when I picked up the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 6 volt batteries. I tested them, and got 13.7 volts while plugged in and 12.50 when unplugged. All connections are perfect.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #8

What happens when you try to open the room on shore power? Any sound at all? If it was me, I would be checking the battery voltage at the room slide motor especially when it is running. Is the room slide a Power Gear manufacture, or another brand? Do you have the electrical schematics for your coach? They may tell you how yours is supposed to work ei: with engine running, or not, shore power or not, generator or not. Once again, I am not familiar with Monaco's design so double check what I may say with what you actually see.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The mystery deepens. It's now working on shore power. Hmmmmmm.