Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Smart EMS question

I have the complete manuals hard copies and downloaded the owners manual. I read the pages regarding shore power and the EMS in tne motorhome I purchased. I have in the past, when hooked to 20amp shore power over the winter, and switch the EMS, observed a read out on the EMS for 20amps coming into the RV. I now have my 50/30/20amp box at the house and currently hooked up to 50amp. Nothing is showing on the EMS panel at 50 amps. The led is not light up showing 50 amps is coming into the motor home. Is this normal at 50 amps being that the intelligence of the EMS knows all is good and there is a total of 80 useable amps available. So it doesn't need to display that??? It says nothing in the manual about that. I'm only assuming that.

Set me free oh wise ones.

Dave
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's normal to have no readout of amp use while hooked to 50A pedestal, or running gen, but the green LED beside 50A should be lit up.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #3

Any tripped breakers on your breaker panel can cause your EMS panel to mis-behave.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

On my 2008 Knight the EMS panel when running on Generator does show amp usage. However when on shore power it does not. That is normal for my installation. cannot see any connection of tripped breakers affecting behavior of the EMS panel

except tripped breakers cannot not add any load to EMS which could then let other loads connect

EMS panel controls relays for load shedding, does not monitor Line voltage to input side of load shedding relays which comes from the breakers
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #5

Great info

Thanks a lot again for the great information. As I stroll through this new coach certain questions regarding systems pop up. I use as much logic and previous knowledge to solve the problems myself, but it is always a blessing to get an opinion form more experienced RV's. At least in a coach this complex.

Thank you again everybody for your input.

Dave Bunker

PS. BTW Wideglide do you have a wide glide?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechevy View Post
cannot see any connection of tripped breakers affecting behavior of the EMS panel
Well, it does on mine !
Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post

PS. BTW Wideglide do you have a wide glide?
Yep ...... A 1996
Old 04-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have the complete manuals hard copies and downloaded the owners manual. I read the pages regarding shore power and the EMS in tne motorhome I purchased. I have in the past, when hooked to 20amp shore power over the winter, and switch the EMS, observed a read out on the EMS for 20amps coming into the RV. I now have my 50/30/20amp box at the house and currently hooked up to 50amp. Nothing is showing on the EMS panel at 50 amps. The led is not light up showing 50 amps is coming into the motor home. Is this normal at 50 amps being that the intelligence of the EMS knows all is good and there is a total of 80 useable amps available. So it doesn't need to display that??? It says nothing in the manual about that. I'm only assuming that.

Set me free oh wise ones.

Dave
When you are connected to 50 amp shore power you should have two legs of power that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. When you measure between the two hot legs of the 50 amp shore power you should read 240 VAC. Each leg to ground should read 120 VAC. If the person that wired your 50 amp plug connected the same leg of a power source to each side of the plug then that is not a true 50 amp service and you will not measure 240 VAC between each leg. Your EMS will detect this and may not illuminate the green 50 amp LED. Also, a true 50 amp service has 100 amps available, 50 amps on each leg.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Nodine: Yes that's correct. I put the box in myself and thats how I wired it. Each leg reads 120 for a combined total of 240v going into the RV. I was questioning the EMS digital numbers read out not the LED indicator light. The little indicator light lights up at the correct 50 amp position. I thought the digital numbers read out should tell me how much amps I am drawing when various appliances and other draws are turned on. The screen is blank. It only read out when I was previously hooked up to 20amp house current before I installed the RV pedestal.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
The led is not light up showing 50 amps is coming into the motor home.

Dave; I took this to mean your LED beside the 50A wasn't coming on.

Like stated earlier, you won't get a readout of amp's being used on 50A shore, or generator.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #11

No 50amp read out

I guess Monaco figured that if you were hooked up to shore power, you can run virtually everything in the coach and no need to worry about amperage usage.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I guess Monaco figured that if you were hooked up to shore power, you can run virtually everything in the coach and no need to worry about amperage usage.
On mine, you won't get an amp read out when on 50 amp shore power. However, generator or 30 amp shore you will get amps draw on the display.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Dave; I took this to mean your LED beside the 50A wasn't coming on.

Like stated earlier, you won't get a readout of amp's being used on 50A shore, or generator.
Ben,

You don't get amps drawn when on generator? Mine does and was going wacko a few months ago. That's when I got that nifty new transfer switch.

Turns out it was intellitec control board that was bad, but when on generator, it still shows amps draw.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #14

Wonder if it could be because I have the 10KW gen

Never showed amp draw on gen with either transfer switch.

Tags
ems