RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillLinc View Post
M&M are the Motorhome Electronics guru's https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/
Their home location is Ohio City, OH, but their winter location is near DeLand, FL. Suggest you give them a call to discuss. If Mark and Chris can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

Gene M
2004 Knight
A great lead! Thanks. I will follow-up with them as well.

Regards
srh
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #16

I donít have a Monaco but when I purchased my used Itasca/Winnabego my Smart Wheel was not working. The dealer said to take it to Freightliner because the chassis comes with the wheel already attached. I called Freightliner and got an appointment a week out. They were going to put in a new smart wheel under warranty. Before the week was over and I had not yet taken the rig to Freightliner I was cleaning the floor under the wheel and happened to look up and saw a small compartment on the underside of the wheel. I opened it and saw 2 AAA batteries. Hummmm I said to myself. I replaced the batteries with fresh ones and low and behold everything started working. I called Freightliner to cancel the appointment and told they why. They didnít even know about the batteries. So my fix cost me about $3.95 for 2 AAA batteries.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I donít have a Monaco but when I purchased my used Itasca/Winnabego my Smart Wheel was not working. The dealer said to take it to Freightliner because the chassis comes with the wheel already attached. I called Freightliner and got an appointment a week out. They were going to put in a new smart wheel under warranty. Before the week was over and I had not yet taken the rig to Freightliner I was cleaning the floor under the wheel and happened to look up and saw a small compartment on the underside of the wheel. I opened it and saw 2 AAA batteries. Hummmm I said to myself. I replaced the batteries with fresh ones and low and behold everything started working. I called Freightliner to cancel the appointment and told they why. They didnít even know about the batteries. So my fix cost me about $3.95 for 2 AAA batteries.
Very interesting! Thanks for chiming in.

I know the steering wheel comes with the chassis, engine, tran...- my chassis is Roadmaster, supposedly made in that era either by, or for Monaco. Unfortunately, after Monaco folded, the chassis and some of the specialized components like the Chassis Control Module are no longer made. Hence, my dilemma!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Can you post a picture of this compartment?

Are there any identification labels or such? This is not shown in the Smart Wheel troubleshooting - but since your vehicle is under warranty it must be new and this battery compartment be the latest Smart Wheel design.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #19

SRH,

From what you describe, I would focus on an issue with the steering wheel keypays and the wiring within the steering column. The reason why is because you have an intermittent problem on both steering wheel keypads and no other CCM functions. These keypads are multiplexed and it is the multiplexed signal that is controlling input to the CCM. Also, there is a plug connection near where the two wire keypad multiplex lines go from the steering column to under the dash.

As for wiring diagrams, yes they do exist. I have a set and attached the 2 pertinent files.

Frank, 08 Dynasty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38080795_B Wipers.pdf (80.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf 38090532 Cruise Control.pdf (65.1 KB, 27 views)
fcmcelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #20

I see Frank weighed in here, he knows his stuff and has helped my a lot. (thanks again Frank, Woody).
You most likely have the Kongsberg roadside chassis multiplex. True, they are no longer made. M&M in Ohio, Intellitec in Florida were not able to help me. Cummins, no. It took 6 months of searching but mine is fixed. I did not have an issue with the smart wheel, but other parts of this multiplex. As I understand it, everything in the cockpit is under the control of that CCM in the front run box. REV tech center in Coburg, Oregon can work on these systems. They have the software and the techs that can fix it. From my searching there doesn't appear to be an easy fix for this system. REV in Indiana was zero help with this system, they did not tell me that the guys in Coburg even existed. My Dynasty has been in different shops for near 6 months while techs tried to fix it. EVERY shop told me it could never be fixed. Not True. You need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing. I believe the software goes by the name "CADET", not positive. In my case once things started to go south, it got worse by the miles. A master multiplex switch and an expansion module had gone out on my system. The chain that went bad on mine included the engine brake, which took on a life of it's own until it finally just quit. Good luck. I believe you want to talk to Jason in Coburg, I think that's the guy that knows this stuff.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #21

Woody, good that you chimed in. Yes, the Kongsberg software was I believe called Cadet. At one time they would sell it to you. Don't know if they still do.

Basically this is troubleshooting software for the CCM. Using the software will allow the service technician to command the ccm to perform the same functions as the smartwheel keypads. In effect bypassing all the smartwheel keypads. This is the proper way to troubleshoot multiplex systems and quickly isolate the problem. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Wiring diagrams are also critical. In your case Woody, knowing which dash switches worked and which ones didn't allowed the problem to be isolated. The key then in solving your problem and programming new dash switch panels was to find a shop who knew what they were doing and had both the knowledge and equipment.

Frank
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #22

My Itasca is a 2015 that I purchased Feb 2017. Also I found out that the signal from the smart wheel controls for the radio can be blocked by your legs and knees and no signal is making it to the radio from the wheel. I moved my legs and the controls began to work for the radio controls. Seems pretty poor design to use a RF for the wheel knowing that the drivers legs will block the signal.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #23
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmcelr View Post
SRH,

From what you describe, I would focus on an issue with the steering wheel keypays and the wiring within the steering column. The reason why is because you have an intermittent problem on both steering wheel keypads and no other CCM functions. These keypads are multiplexed and it is the multiplexed signal that is controlling input to the CCM. Also, there is a plug connection near where the two wire keypad multiplex lines go from the steering column to under the dash.

As for wiring diagrams, yes they do exist. I have a set and attached the 2 pertinent files.

Frank, 08 Dynasty
Frank:
I surely appreciate your efforts and guidance.
One of my fears is that Speed Wrench (the chassis shop where my coach is) has sent the CCM to Global Electronics three times, and certainly hope they didn't mess it up. I will find out tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Frank:
I surely appreciate your efforts and guidance.
One of my fears is that Speed Wrench (the chassis shop where my coach is) has sent the CCM to Global Electronics three times, and certainly hope they didn't mess it up. I will find out tomorrow.
SRH, It would be good for you to know if your show is using the kongsberg software to troubleshoot the CCM to eliminate any issues from control input from your smart wheel keypads. If they don't have the CCM troubleshooting software on their laptop computer, then they really don't have the proper diagnostic tools to properly diagnose the problem.

I would not be surprised to find a frayed wire in your steering column, a bad wiring harness connection, or a loose ground on the smartwheel wiring harness. One of the last defects would be a bad CCM. The only way that I would send out a CCM for repair is if the shop could prove via the Kongsberg software that the ccm was defective.

Please post a full picture of your front run bay with the CCM. I want to see which PCB you have with relays and connections.

Frank
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #25
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
I see Frank weighed in here, he knows his stuff and has helped my a lot. (thanks again Frank, Woody).
You most likely have the Kongsberg roadside chassis multiplex. True, they are no longer made. M&M in Ohio, Intellitec in Florida were not able to help me. Cummins, no. It took 6 months of searching but mine is fixed. I did not have an issue with the smart wheel, but other parts of this multiplex. As I understand it, everything in the cockpit is under the control of that CCM in the front run box. REV tech center in Coburg, Oregon can work on these systems. They have the software and the techs that can fix it. From my searching there doesn't appear to be an easy fix for this system. REV in Indiana was zero help with this system, they did not tell me that the guys in Coburg even existed. My Dynasty has been in different shops for near 6 months while techs tried to fix it. EVERY shop told me it could never be fixed. Not True. You need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing. I believe the software goes by the name "CADET", not positive. In my case once things started to go south, it got worse by the miles. A master multiplex switch and an expansion module had gone out on my system. The chain that went bad on mine included the engine brake, which took on a life of it's own until it finally just quit. Good luck. I believe you want to talk to Jason in Coburg, I think that's the guy that knows this stuff.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
Thank you so very much! I really appreciate the leads. I will call Jason tomorrow.
Meanwhile, as has been suggested, I contacted M&M and talked to Chris. They are in Florida right now and will be coming back to Ohio first part of April and suggested to contact them in March.
Did you have to take your coach to Oregon to have it fixed?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #26
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
SRH, It would be good for you to know if your show is using the kongsberg software to troubleshoot the CCM to eliminate any issues from control input from your smart wheel keypads. If they don't have the CCM troubleshooting software on their laptop computer, then they really don't have the proper diagnostic tools to properly diagnose the problem.

I would not be surprised to find a frayed wire in your steering column, a bad wiring harness connection, or a loose ground on the smartwheel wiring harness. One of the last defects would be a bad CCM. The only way that I would send out a CCM for repair is if the shop could prove via the Kongsberg software that the ccm was defective.

Please post a full picture of your front run bay with the CCM. I want to see which PCB you have with relays and connections.

Frank
I have been told by Speed Wrench that they have checked thoroughly for loose/bad wiring. I don't think they know much about the system.

How does one find out if my coach is using the Konsberg Software? Who might be able to find that out, do you know?

Some of the pictures in post #1 are from my coach, I have them here as well.

Thank you very much!
Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	234102   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	234103  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0840.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	234104   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	234105  

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I have been told by Speed Wrench that they have checked thoroughly for loose/bad wiring. I don't think they know much about the system.

How does one find out if my coach is using the Konsberg Software? Who might be able to find that out, do you know?

Thank you very much!
Regards,
Your CCM was made by Kongsberg and they programmed it.

Frank
Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #28
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Your CCM was made by Kongsberg and they programmed it.

Frank
Frank:
Do you think they (REV Tech) would be willing to sell us the Cadet software for diagnosing my CCM?

Thanks

Tags
need help, steering