Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Smart wheel control on 02 Windsor, is now a dumb wheel

A few weeks ago my cruise control stopped working. I'd push the button on the steering wheel and the cruise light would come on. However when I push the set button on the wheel, nothing happens. Per suggestions here on the board, I cycled my exhaust brake button, but it still doesn't work.
Today, I discovered that none of the buttons for the windshield wipers are working on the other side of the smart wheel!
Also discovered that my high beams were on, without turning on the headlights. When I touch and hold the button on the smart wheel for high beam it goes off. Release the high beam button on the Smart wheel, and the high beams come on and stay on.
Any suggestions? Has any one had smart wheel problems repaired in Florida, if so, where?
KCSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #2

The smart wheel communicates with it's control box over a " data buss " (electronic wiring connection) , through a " clock spring " (a wound flat bundle of wiring that coils and uncoils as the steering wheel is turned. )
With multiple faults and crossed up controls , either the clock spring is messed up or the control box is faulty. I've seen other post on this and will try and track them down.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yup! Replace the clock-spring and I bet you will be good to go. Those are a high failure item in the Monaco line of coaches.

It's a device that doesn't spring and clock anymore while turning the wheel.

if you were a Monacoers member you could look up in their Parts List for the part and also for a good shop to repair it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smart Wheel Troubleshooting Manual.pdf (331.0 KB, 61 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

I had a similar issue recently with my cruise.
First I checked continuity of the cable for the smart wheel.
Remove the center cover of wheel and you will see a connector that comes out of the center area of the steering column. It will have two or four conductors. At the lower end of the column at about the bottom of the dash you will see a similar connector. if you have continuity of these connectors top to bottom the clock spring is likely ok.
the issue is probably the master control box under the dash. It is made by Vehicle Improvement Products. Their website has information of how to troubleshoot the master box on pdf files.
I had to replace my master control box. With a call to VIP and a credit card charge of $178 plus freight it was back working.
racesport is offline   Reply With Quote