Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Smokin water heater

Last time out I noticed a small amount of black soot on the side of the coach above the water heater.

Could this be an air/fuel mixture issue or somey worse?

Thanks

2000 Diplomat 38a.
RVSSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

YES.....it IS a air/fuel mixture issue

Propane pressure is only 0.4 psi (11"WC) so doesn't take much to disrupt/interfere with air/fuel mixture......spider webs/mud dabbers/debris et

You have an Atwood Water Heater
*Remove burner tube....clean it out with small bottle brush. Make sure 'spreader plate' is square & parallel with end of burner tube

*Unscrew orifice from gas valve...soak in alcohol and then using LOW pressure air blow it out (just use your mouth,.....NOT air compressor and no poking anything thru the hole----it would be damaged)
*Remove spark electrode assembly...clean electrode with emery cloth (soot/carbon will affect function)
*Push a wire thru combustion chamber up out exhaust...tie a rag to the wire then pull it back thru---chimney sweep of 'U' tube

Reassemble and and fire it up
Flame should be Strong, BLUE and steady with slight roar

Air shuttle (sleeve with slots) should have roughly 1/4 of slots exposed for air inlet. Make adjustments by loosening screw and sliding sleeve open/close for proper flame
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I almost burnt down our pickup camper a few years ago with a problem like this! A spider made a next in the burner tube and the flame was coming out of the fuel mixture plate. I think the previous owner removed the thermal fuse to protect this from continuing and I almost set the side of the camper on fire.

You can't really see if there is a nest in there unless you tear the think apart like described above. Be sure that you also have the thermal fuse above the burner tube.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

My 2000 Suburban water heater sooted up the side of the MH. It has no air adjustments.

After cleaning the burner tube and nozzle, with no effect, I bought a replacement burner tube/ nozzle.

My thought was that someone poked out the nozzle during a cleaning.

It was around $15.00 and cured the problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

Thanks, I will heed all comments and update maybe after this weekend.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater