Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
You can also break a windshield by not using the single front jack correctly.

Many Monaco owners can attest to that!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I always disagree with the engineers that design complex pieces of equipment. Clearly what I feel about the subject has the same credibility and standing that the instructions from the folks who designed it have!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #17

You will learn a lot more about your coach if you disregard the "rules" for leveling. I got to replace the seals alongside our roadside slide-out because I ran them in while the coach was leveled. Had I not done this I would not have realized how much the slide-outs change during the leveling process. When you have the seals off you can see first-hand how the slide-out torque when you level.

I also had the opportunity to learn how to replace a broken tile due to bringing in the slide-out in the level position. It is a real trick trying to find matching grout color for old tile work.

So, if you want to really learn more about your coach, do what I did and run the slides in and out in the level position. Or, like I do now, I get to ride-height and then move the slides. It really saves time doing repairs.

Oh, and I have a big label next to my leveler that says to open slide-outs before leveling. But, I read other "expert" opinions that said otherwise.

You can learn from my mistakes or make your own.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Jerry,

I'm certainly NOT saying that you are wrong. Indeed, Monaco made that recommendation in the manual regardless of whether the coach had hydraulic or air leveling. But I always found it curious that Monaco, to the best of my knowledge, never explained in writing the reason for the recommendation when all other manufacturers seemed to be recommending the opposite procedure.

Remember the old "Tech Tips"? There were hundreds of them, dealing with every subject "under the sun". Back in the day, I read almost every one of them, and to the best of my knowledge, this topic was never even mentioned there. Now, I guess, we'll never know.

On another subject, I'm curious about something you said... Can you tell me why your coach has 4 jacks that level to the axle and never touch the ground? What purpose do they serve?
I rarely use the SMC leveling system. It does the same as any other leveling system. It raises the coach using hydraulic jacks that go to the axle instead of the ground. The house is level and the chassis is at whatever angle the ground is. It is effective but the air leveling is also and much easier without the chance of a hydraulic failure.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #19

Still a topic of discussion. Here's what i found: not sure if this is totally related, but i always did the slides then level with our coach until we had the fridge upgraded to a residential unit. The fridge itself is lighter than the Dometic it replaced, but it is 18 cf instead of 12, so it holds a lot more food. After that, I found that if the ground itself is unlevel then there was serious binding when retracting the slide with the fridge in it when getting the coach back to ride height. This was particularly true if the driver's side was the low side so the coach was pulling that slide up hill. If I do the retract with the coach level on the hydraulic jacks (they go to the ground, not the axles) I never have that problem anymore. So, I ignore the manual and always level first unless we are on an already level spot and do not need to level, such as a one night stop while in transit.

Just my experience but it works better for me.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2008 Endeavor. I have learned to always extend and retract the slides at ride height. Binding and broken windshield result if you do it any other way.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post
Still a topic of discussion. Here's what i found: not sure if this is totally related, but i always did the slides then level with our coach until we had the fridge upgraded to a residential unit. The fridge itself is lighter than the Dometic it replaced, but it is 18 cf instead of 12, so it holds a lot more food. After that, I found that if the ground itself is unlevel then there was serious binding when retracting the slide with the fridge in it when getting the coach back to ride height. This was particularly true if the driver's side was the low side so the coach was pulling that slide up hill. If I do the retract with the coach level on the hydraulic jacks (they go to the ground, not the axles) I never have that problem anymore. So, I ignore the manual and always level first unless we are on an already level spot and do not need to level, such as a one night stop while in transit.

Just my experience but it works better for me.
Excellent point, Jim!

That is especially rue if you have a full wall slide, and the ground is lower on that side. What can happen, is the slide will not tip up soon enough when retracting. In that case you should always bring that slide in while the coach is still level. Otherwise, there's a good chance that the top of the slide will take out ceiling fixtures on the way in. Been there, done that. (And that was BEFORE I replaced the Dometic 1200 reefer with the residential unit.)
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Yes sir, had to touch up the ceiling trim from the FWS not 'tipping IN' soon enough once it came over the 'hump'...
so we've gotten into the habit of watching to make sure it 'tips' before it comes in...
usually will only strike the ceiling if we come all the way in at once,
if we stop it somewhat half way in, it will tip on it's own...

I always thought it was because it pulled from the 'bottom' of the slide and had to come up and over the nylon bumps...
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I wished that the original owner of my 2002 Windsor had ordered the optional Air/Hydraulic Combo Leveling instead of just the Air Leveling.

HWH wanted $8000 to add the Hydraulic Leveling to my coach.
Was that just for air leveling, or the full ActiveAir system? I found the receipts for mine, it cost $9300 to have HWH install the ActiveAir system on my coach.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #24

Picked up my new to me Monaco this past Friday. Found that it only has air leveling. So I extended the slides & leveled. So I guess I'm going to follow the manual.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Picked up my new to me Monaco this past Friday. Found that it only has air leveling. So I extended the slides & leveled. So I guess I'm going to follow the manual.
Great plan! Just make sure you are at ride height to put slides in or out.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, manual