Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
So many radiators, so little time

I searched the forum but didn't find the info I expected. My rig has a side radiator but also has at least 3 more radiators in the back. Two large aluminum and one small, along with the ginormous power stealing fan. Forgive the newbie question, but is this "normal". I half expected just the side rad.
Thanks
obwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obwahn View Post
I searched the forum but didn't find the info I expected. My rig has a side radiator but also has at least 3 more radiators in the back. Two large aluminum and one small, along with the ginormous power stealing fan. Forgive the newbie question, but is this "normal". I half expected just the side rad.
Thanks
Mine has: Radiator for keeping the engine cool + Air Charge cooler for keeping the air cool into the turbo + Fuel cooler for keeping the fuel cool + A/C condenser for keeping my butt cool + all of these need a fan to keep the air moving through these coolers so they are effective.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike.....First, you don't have a side radiator. The small one you see behind the driver's rear wheels is the cooling condenser for your dash A/C (same unit you have in your car infront of your radiator). Yours is a rear radiator coach. You have two units in the rear. The upper one that looks like a radiator is the Charge Air Cooler. Your diesel is turbo charged, which means that you get more power by taking some of the hot exhaust gases and pushing them right back into the intake of your engine (like pushing more air through your air cleaner). Because your engine would not run well with hot exhaust being pushed back into it, the Charge Air Cooler cools it down before going back into the engine.

Directly underneath that unit is your radiator. They're stacked atop each other. That huge fan is your engine fan. It draws air from under your coach and blows it out the back. If you stand behind your coach while it's running, the air coming out will part your hair.

The third cooler is probably an added on trans cooler.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to both you gents for setting me straight.

Yes Don, the hurricane out the rear is somewhat noticeable. :-). Now I'll go sulk for displaying even more of my newbieness (new word I just coined)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Actually I should have said "I knew that", and I was just testing YOU guys. Let's see if that flies.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As they say, there are no dumb questions. The more you learn about how your coach works, the more you'll enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
As they say, there are no dumb questions. The more you learn about how your coach works, the more you'll enjoy it.
I'm supposed to enjoy it too?!!!! Dang! I thought I was just supposed to dump money into it. Thanks again! :-)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Your diesel is turbo charged, which means that you get more power by taking some of the hot exhaust gases and pushing them right back into the intake of your engine (like pushing more air through your air cleaner). Because your engine would not run well with hot exhaust being pushed back into it, the Charge Air Cooler cools it down before going back into the engine.
Diplomat Don
I don't think a turbocharger takes some of the hot exhaust gases and pushes them right back into the intake of your engine.
(IMO, only fuel, and clean air, goes onto the intake of an engine).

This is my understanding of the "how and why" of a turbocharger and a CAC:

The drive blades of the turbo are spun by the exhaust moving through it, (causing the incoming filtered intake air to be compressed by a second set of blades).
That forces more air into the engine, (aka: compresses the fresh filtered intake air)!
More air results in more power!

When air is compressed it gets HOT.....
The CAC cools that turbocharged, (aka: compressed), hot clean air to an efficient operating temperature before the engine "eats" it.
Cooler air also results in more power!

on all of your radiator information!

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're right...trying to make it simple since he wasn't familiar with what he has.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mel and Don,
Thanks so much for all the clarification on just what is sitting in my front yard. :-) It is information like this that helps all us newbies thru the maze of MH ownership.

Thanks to this forum I learned that our "new to us" coach still has its original tires, 2002! Needless to say she is somewhat parked until we build up the funds for 6 new tires. If I had known BEFORE, I would have made new tires part of the purchase. Oh well, live and learn, hopefully.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by obwahn View Post
I'm supposed to enjoy it too?!!!! Dang! I thought I was just supposed to dump money into it. Thanks again! :-)
Welcome to the "Empty Wallet Club"!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike....Hankook makes an excellent tire that will fit your coach (AH12) that is reasonably priced. Put two on the front and use the coach until you can do the rears.

The Hankooks are about $400 each installed, which is a far cry from what they get for the Michelin or Goodyear in that size.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thx for the idea Don.

Mike
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #14

Mike,

I noticed you said you had 3 radiators in the back. I didn't see where anyone addressed the 3rd "radiator". On my MH, the small radiator you mentioned is my transmission cooler. As Don and others stated, you have an A/C condenser on the drivers side behind the rear wheels and in the rear sits the radiator, CAC and more then likely a transmission cooler.

Tags
radiator