Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

So [moderator edit] sick of incompetent tire shops!

I am so done with trying to get this RV to ride smooth without a hop!

New Tires
8 New Source Shocks
Centramatics on Front Tires

Rode good for 2000 miles

Then back to front end(right) bounce.
Most Recently paid $500 to get:
1 wheel bearing tightened and one loosened
Front Tires Swapped
Front end alignment

NO CHANGE!

Just looking for ideas and mainly encouragement that this is an attainable goal.........Do people actually have RV's that run smooth down he road?

2000 Monaco Diplomat 38A
85,000 Miles
Fed up!
Jfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmm...
Try this ..It's only the right front wheel that is bouncing?
jack up that wheel position, the then get a pop can/bottle or whatever to use as a sight guide next to the side of the wheel at the edge of the rim(it may be just a 1/8th inch (or less) out of round.
spin by hand the wheel & tire.
look to see if the wheel is out of round, the tire should mimic an out of round wheel..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #3

What brand tires did you just purchase? Goodyear sells a lot of eggs

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Good idea, Saddlesore. We used to do that everytime we changed a wheel on our older trucks with spokes. It can be tedious, but can be done.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hmmmm...
Try this ..It's only the right front wheel that is bouncing?
jack up that wheel position, the then get a pop can/bottle or whatever to use as a sight guide next to the side of the wheel at the edge of the rim(it may be just a 1/8th inch (or less) out of round.
spin by hand the wheel & tire.
look to see if the wheel is out of round, the tire should mimic an out of round wheel..

That's a great tip! I will try that first thing tomorrow but I don't think it is an out of round tire because just today I had the front 2 tires swapped and the same(right) side still has the bounce.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
What brand tires did you just purchase? Goodyear sells a lot of eggs

The Front tires are Salium and I bought them last year, so not completely new but definitely newer. I did have these running smooth for about 2000 miles before this started again.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #7

When you swapped the tires did you swap the centrimatics also?
Muddflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
May want to check for a binding brake caliper and / or rotor with excessive run out. Would possibly get worse as brakes heat up.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

In your other post you stated you needed New King Pins. They are the problem. Check your other post and watch the first 30 seconds of the video for the ride quality of bad king pins. If the shop you are using does not KNOW what king pins you need Don't Use Them Ever Again. Probably don't even know the proper procedure to set the bearing play correctly on the work already performed

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
In your other post you stated you needed New King Pins. They are the problem. Check your other post and watch the first 30 seconds of the video for the ride quality of bad king pins. If the shop you are using does not KNOW what king pins you need Don't Use Them Ever Again. Probably don't even know the proper procedure to set the bearing play correctly on the work already performed
Understood......I'm not sure why the shop would have told me they were going to pass on putting those in because they thought they could solve it by tightening one and what ended up being loosing one of the wheel bearing Uber frustrated to spend $500 and have no change at all within the problem . They had authorization to do the king pins and tighten the bearings for $1450 but called back to tell me they were going to just do the wheel bearings. Seemed odd to me. Where is the best place to take it for this type of thing? Truck shop? RV Dealer? Freightliner?

Thanks for your help with this.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddflap View Post
When you swapped the tires did you swap the centrimatics also?

Not sure will have to ask the shop that did the work, but 1doodadd may be right, I didn't know how important the king pins were to a smooth riding front end.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
May want to check for a binding brake caliper and / or rotor with excessive run out. Would possibly get worse as brakes heat up.
Both front tires spin freely when jacked up, would that be something that would show it self or would it have to heat up first?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreeman View Post
That's a great tip! I will try that first thing tomorrow but I don't think it is an out of round tire because just today I had the front 2 tires swapped and the same(right) side still has the bounce.
You swapped tire & wheel right?. I was addressing the wheel it's self....(including waller'd out lug bolt holes)
If so
thinking.......................................... You have removed the question of an out of round wheel/tire.................................
mebbe?........ Ummmmm......... Hmmmmm..
Only thing I can come up with is worn or damaged suspension parts..................
QUESTION!!!!
Does it have disc or drum brakes on the front axle???????
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You need to find a "good" front end shop that does work on Class 8 semi's! To find one that has a good reputation, ask at the truck parts store who has the best reputation in your area! You might get lucky and find a mobile repair guy that will replace all the parts you need, at a much discounted cost? Never know? Then all you have to do is take it to the alignment shop!
King pins are not hard to change, if you have the right tools!

Don't be afraid to drive a ways to get a good shop!

Walk in and talk to the front end guy, explain your issue's, and tell him about the king pins! Have him check it all out, give you a estimate of what it needs to be fixed and the cost!

Google can be your friend, for checking reviews, and finding the right shop/mobile repair guy!

Hope this helps? Good luck! Rail!