Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar connections '07 knight

I am interested in installing a solar system on my rig (installed a 150 watt system on my trailer myself). I notice that the electrical box above the inverter is labeled "solar connection". Which solar wires connect here....the feed from the panels or the leads from the controller? Also, since I have an EMS system, do I need a controller? If anyone has a schematic or experienced advice I would appreciate it!

Love this forum!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
YC1

On my 08 Endeavor the wires come from the roof area of the bedroom. My roof had a decal label showing the approximate area of the wires. From the inside I dropped one of my light fixtures down and there were the wires. This made getting a hole through the roof easy and accurate. I installed a controller inside the box down below. My controller has two outputs. One is about two amps so I sent that to the engine bank and the other to the coach batteries. I connected the wires so the battery cutoff switches will not turn the solar off. No schematics really needed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
On my 08 Endeavor the wires come from the roof area of the bedroom. My roof had a decal label showing the approximate area of the wires. From the inside I dropped one of my light fixtures down and there were the wires. This made getting a hole through the roof easy and accurate. I installed a controller inside the box down below. My controller has two outputs. One is about two amps so I sent that to the engine bank and the other to the coach batteries. I connected the wires so the battery cutoff switches will not turn the solar off. No schematics really needed.
This is most helpful. Did you screw or tape the panels to the roof? How many panels - total watts? How well does your system serve you?
Many thanks!

Stan
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
YC1

I have two panels totaling 180 watts. I used stainless screws and Dicor. Pre-drilling a small hole, squeezing some dicor into the hole, then sinking the screw. More Dicor over the top. I would never trust tape even if someone here tells me how wonderful it is. I have seen failure in every fantastic tape I have ever used in the last 40 years. It is great stuff as a secondary fastening tool or for alignement but just think what a disaster it would be if a panel flew off. A few screws and I do not have any worries.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have two panels totaling 180 watts. I used stainless screws and Dicor. Pre-drilling a small hole, squeezing some dicor into the hole, then sinking the screw. More Dicor over the top. I would never trust tape even if someone here tells me how wonderful it is. I have seen failure in every fantastic tape I have ever used in the last 40 years. It is great stuff as a secondary fastening tool or for alignement but just think what a disaster it would be if a panel flew off. A few screws and I do not have any worries.
Where do your solar wires enter the coach and what do they connect to? My guess is that the wires go from the roof (panels) to the controller to the terminal box (located in the passenger side rear inverter compartment in my coach). Nothing gets connected directly to the batteries.....am I correct? Where do your panel wires enter the coach?

Stan
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
YC1

The wires were curled up beneath the roof in the bedroom. I drilled from the inside and pushed the wires through. The wires on the bottom inside the plastic box were simply connected to a controller I bought. Using my own wires from the controller via fused leads close to the battery terminals I connected directly to the batteries to bypass all switches and other wires.

My wires are beneath my panels, covered with a clam shell type cover and sealed. My panels are on the street side end to end along the edge.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The wires were curled up beneath the roof in the bedroom. I drilled from the inside and pushed the wires through. The wires on the bottom inside the plastic box were simply connected to a controller I bought. Using my own wires from the controller via fused leads close to the battery terminals I connected directly to the batteries to bypass all switches and other wires.

My wires are beneath my panels, covered with a clam shell type cover and sealed. My panels are on the street side end to end along the edge.
Where do your wires enter the coach?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
YC1

Not sure where you mean but I will try to answer. The wires are rolled up inside the ceiling in the bedroom for that end of the run. You have to make your own penetration for them to exit. The other end I found in the battery compartment inside the black plastic box on the rear. I will see if I have an picture of it open. I do have a picture of the compartment and will send that.

Just left of item 4 I believe are the coiled up wires where I then connected my controller. I have a nice remote panel mounted on the inside of my battery compartment door that shows the voltages of both banks and the charging current.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Compartment.pdf (369.0 KB, 51 views)

Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure where you mean but I will try to answer. The wires are rolled up inside the ceiling in the bedroom for that end of the run. You have to make your own penetration for them to exit. The other end I found in the battery compartment inside the black plastic box on the rear. I will see if I have an picture of it open. I do have a picture of the compartment and will send that.

Just left of item 4 I believe are the coiled up wires where I then connected my controller. I have a nice remote panel mounted on the inside of my battery compartment door that shows the voltages of both banks and the charging current.
Many thanks YC. Can you tell me where in the ceiling your wires were and how you accessed them?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
YC1

Stant, I thought I had indicated where they are in the bedroom but sure as heck didn't. Check on your roof to see if there is a sticker. If like mine it is on the left side of the bedroom. So, remove the light fixture near that location. The screws are long so you will want an electric driver. The light can be unplugged when it comes out or just let it hang.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Stant, I thought I had indicated where they are in the bedroom but sure as heck didn't. Check on your roof to see if there is a sticker. If like mine it is on the left side of the bedroom. So, remove the light fixture near that location. The screws are long so you will want an electric driver. The light can be unplugged when it comes out or just let it hang.
Got it.....many thanks! And as an aside.....you did answer this question previously (found it today).

My apologies for rehashing covered ground. Tomorrow I look for my sticker!

Thanks again.

Stan