RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar/Inverter question

Well, after 3 months of owning this thing I just figured out that the after market Siemens Solar setup is not charging the house batteries. I thought it was working because the Siemens regulator panel looks like it is working. It shows battery condition and current charging status, but the brand new house batteries are not being charged by the system. In full sun it says it was charging @ 4 amps.

Dumb question#1 Does the voltage from the panels go through the regulator and then right to the house batteries?

Dumb question #2 Does the inverter have to be on all the time for the solar to charge the house batteries?

The house batteries charge fine on shore or genet power.

Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #2

" question#1 Does the voltage from the panels go through the regulator and then right to the house batteries? "

The voltage from the panels goes to a Solar Controller and then to the panels.

" question #2 Does the inverter have to be on all the time for the solar to charge the house batteries? "

The Inverter which in your case may be a Inverter/Charger would only be used to charge the batteries if on shore power. ( or genset )

How do you know the solar is not working? How many watts of panels do you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	111221  

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
How do you know the solar is not working?
I have not run the generator or had it on shore power for about a month. I have been working on the coach and running fans, lights, sat receivers, water pumps in short durations over the course of the 30 days. The house batteries went down to 11 volts. All the while the solar regulator was reporting charging. I exercised the genny yesterday and the inverter immediataly starred a bulk charge of the house batteries. Batteries went back up to 12 volts in the short time I ran the genny.

I am not sure the output of the solar panel, but it is an older Siemens dual panel system.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

You never want your batteries to read 11volts. Keep in mind that batteries read lower after being used. You have to let them set for a little while to get a good SOC reading.

You can use this for checking the output of your panels and the controller;
How To Check Your Solar Panel & Regulator/Controller | Select Solar

I highly, highly recommend that you get a battery meter. This can be quite handy even if you don't have solar. Something like the Trimetric 2025.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

X2 on the Trimetric!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
Well, after 3 months of owning this thing I just figured out that the after market Siemens Solar setup is not charging the house batteries. I thought it was working because the Siemens regulator panel looks like it is working. It shows battery condition and current charging status, but the brand new house batteries are not being charged by the system. In full sun it says it was charging @ 4 amps.

Dumb question#1 Does the voltage from the panels go through the regulator and then right to the house batteries?

Dumb question #2 Does the inverter have to be on all the time for the solar to charge the house batteries?

The house batteries charge fine on shore or genet power.
Four amps is barely enough to do a float charge and if anything in the coach is using DC power the batteries will discharge unless you are connected to shore power or have the generator running. It sounds like your solar system is only for battery maintenance.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How many solar panels and what is the total wattage that you have.

My coach originally had a single 85 watt panel, which in full sun light would probably only put out ~4 amp.

The original owner added 2 more 125 Watt panels so I now have a total of 325 watt. In full sunlight I sometimes see 15 amps.

My panels put out ~14 volts charging 325/14= 23 amp less efficiency. The panels sits flat on the rood so it doesn't make 100% of potential.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

Probably the problem right here:

"but it is an older Siemens dual panel system."
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE: The problem was the 14 year old solar regulator between the array and the batteries. It was totally lying to the previous owner, my RV inspector, and me. It said it was charging 13 volts @ 4 amps, when in reality it was outputting 2 volts to the house batteries. I replaced the regulator with a Go Power! GP-PWM-30 30 Amp Solar Regulator. It popped right in the same hole as the Siemens regulator, and it even has the capability to charge my chassis batteries after it charges/conditions my house batteries. All I have to do is run another cable from the regulator to my chassis battery bank. Not bad for $124.

Tags
inverter, solar