Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

Solar not charging (used to show on Aladdin)

Hello, it would be nice if some of the older posts would work cuz I'm really piggybacking off of a post that's like 1400 days old and it won't let me post a reply...

I've had some battery problems I have an Aladdin system on an 06 Monaco Executive there are two solar panels. Not even sure where these connect I guess maybe there's something up under the refrigerator vent but beside all that where is this controller everybody's talking about
the Heliotrope RD-45D? I don't know if I even have this controller or what the heck the system is but assuming that it's just a factory system you would think it would have whatever controller everybody else has. It has a magnum energy inverter that has a charging connection but I think that only relates to charging when it's on shore power. I used to see the Aladdin system it would say solar like two amps or something not sure why it's so low but forget about that for right now... Now it doesn't say anything so the batteries go dead.

The coach has lots of problems from air line leak...many problems the dealer totally screwed me at Day Brothers in Kentucky and now it's been months they promised to help but offer no answers or support... Really just need to sell the thing probably but I also want to get it going and then decide. At least if it's running and somebody buys it the solar works you know that kind of thing. Have no idea where the solar connects I mean it could just be a fuse but the fuses are so confusing. There's fuses in the front Bay on the driver side there's fuses in the back and relays for the batteries with no blown fuses by the engine by the cummings diesel engine and then there's more up in the closet in the back so I don't even know where to begin but the solar is not charging now even though the panel sit up there in bright Sun.

So just trying to find somebody that might be able to help me figure out like where all this connect so I can try to trace out why it may not be charging such as a relay or blown fuse a controller somewhere that went bad... I don't even know I don't think it ties to the Magnum energy though I initially thought so everything I'm reading talks about shore power with solar panels are not. So any help would be greatly appreciated just to get the basic system functioning at this point.

Thanks
Oddjobs2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to your owners manual, you can download to your files.
https://www.monacocoach.com/resource..._Executive.pdf
On page 257 there is section on the solar panels, it says the controller is located in the "large pass through bay".

Other things you can check is the combiner box under the refrigerator vent, unless you have a residential. I'd pull the cover off the box and actually check voltage there. When I first bought my coach I didn't think I was seeing enough amps considering I had 3 panels. Sure enough, two of the panels were dead.
The other thing to check would be fuses, I have two fuses in my rear electrical bay, one for house and one for chassis. The charge controller charges both banks separately.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjobs2do View Post
I used to see the Aladdin system it would say solar like two amps or something not sure why it's so low but forget about that for right now...
I know you said to forget about it, but, in terms of the relatively low charging amps you're used to seeing, your controller will only send what your batteries need. Even though your panels may be capable of putting out more amps, an almost fully charged battery bank will show relatively few amps going in.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #4

Can you share pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Here is a link to your owners manual, you can download to your files.
https://www.monacocoach.com/resource..._Executive.pdf
On page 257 there is section on the solar panels, it says the controller is located in the "large pass through bay".

Other things you can check is the combiner box under the refrigerator vent, unless you have a residential. I'd pull the cover off the box and actually check voltage there. When I first bought my coach I didn't think I was seeing enough amps considering I had 3 panels. Sure enough, two of the panels were dead.
The other thing to check would be fuses, I have two fuses in my rear electrical bay, one for house and one for chassis. The charge controller charges both banks separately.

Hello thanks for your response. I do have a residential refrigerator now I don't know I think they might have removed the gas system and put electrical which I was skeptical of but it has worked great except for the inverter part if the charging isn't working the solar charging has to work or else you are behind the curve on leaving the refrigerator running while you go hiking and stuff.

So not sure if when you say residential that means residential refrigerator but I assume so. I don't know for sure if this was a factory thing or the previous seller but it's all electric in the dealer who totally screwed me said that it doesn't have propane which of course it doesn't. I'm assuming the previous owner took it out but maybe not maybe it was a factory option.

So where would they put the solar stuff if it's not behind the refrigerator? You mentioned something about the back electrical which I just opened up the other day there's a bunch of solenoids and fuses and what's weird is it look like it's a lot of DC stuff for the coach like the steps and stuff but kind of appears to be both chassis and coach but I didn't see a fuse for solar charging.

Is there any way you can take a picture of what you're talking about both far out like the whole panel and then close up of the fuse and the labels. What year is your coach maybe it says and I didn't catch that but anyway if you can give me some pictures and some detail I appreciate the links as well.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I know you said to forget about it, but, in terms of the relatively low charging amps you're used to seeing, your controller will only send what your batteries need. Even though your panels may be capable of putting out more amps, an almost fully charged battery bank will show relatively few amps going in.
Well that makes sense except I would add that the coach batteries were only at 6 volts and it showed no charging they were at 6:00 to 9 volts and then I charge them all the way up initially as part of the bank of four of them but then I took them out because they wouldn't really charge and I charge them independently and they all went to 12 volts and I had them tested at a battery shop and put them back in. So with that being done it still didn't charge. And with replacing the chassis batteries which were bad it still didn't charge.

You may be referring to the total amperage that I was talking about that might have said like 1.5 or 2 amps when it was working. If the chassis batteries were bad but charged up and I wasn't trying to start obviously then it wouldn't know maybe that the batteries were low and maybe the coach batteries were charged if you're referring to that then that makes sense maybe why it's lower than what it was rated for perhaps I don't know. But I know it's not working now when the batteries were low or when they were replaced the chassis and fully charged for the coach.

If I can get it to even charge then I can test your statement by turning on the inverter and then looking at the charge rate right because at that point it would have a higher demand or perhaps letting it run on the inverter a while and then checking the charging status to see the difference between when it was plugged into shore power and working versus running the inverter off grid and having the batteries lowered from inverting. But what you say makes sense. I don't think it doesn't mean for the problem of it not charging but it's worth noting in regards to solar production under load or when capacity is reduced.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-21-2021, 05:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I've had some battery problems I have an Aladdin system on an 06 Monaco Executive there are two solar panels.
Not even sure where these connect I guess maybe there's something up under the refrigerator vent but beside all that where is this controller everybody's talking about
the Heliotrope RD-45D? I don't know if I even have this controller or what the heck the system is but assuming that it's just a factory system you would think it would have whatever controller everybody else has. It has a magnum energy inverter that has a charging connection but I think that only relates to charging when it's on shore power.
I used to see the Aladdin system it would say solar like two amps or something not sure why it's so low but forget about that for right now... Now it doesn't say anything so the batteries go dead.
Thanks
On my Coach (2005 Patriot Thunder - sister to the Executive) the Helitrope is located in the bay just forward of the curbside drive wheels where the waste tanks are mounted (this bay doesn't have a handle, it's not intended to be opened regularly. There is a latch on the bottom). In that compartment is also the Aladdin modules. Of course your coach is probably different (snowflakes).

I had a bad AC/DC module where my solar readings where bad. I got a used module from one of the RV salvage yards (Visone RV - I think).

You can test the Helitrope with a voltmeter, once you locate it. It should be putting out around 13.5 to 14VDC. See attached manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aladdin modules mounted in bay.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	343751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aladdin AC-DC voltage status - displayed.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	343752  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Helitrope RV45D Solar Charger Manual.pdf (114.1 KB, 2 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If your rig originally came with a absorption type refrigerator there would be a vent on the outside behind the refrigerator.

Go up on the roof and follow the wires from the solar panels to try and locate the combiner box. Since I had an absorption type refrigerator my combiner box is under the vent.

If you only have 2 solar panels you will not be able to depend on them for keeping your batteries up especially if you have a residential refrigerator. I have 325 watt of solar and mine will not keep up after I installed a residential refer, I have to run the generator at night for ~1 hour to charge the batteries.

Sounds like you have a pretty steep learning curve on gaining knowledge of how your coach operates. Study the manual and start gathering as much information as you can on every component that is used on your coach. I was the same way but after ~12 years of ownership I've accumulated a substantial amount of information on my coach and components and can now contribute to the forum.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Your thoughts?
Do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to use it? If you're going to figure anything out a meter is a necessary tool. You need to check the voltage at the battery bank and at the big boy relay terminals in the rear run bay and we will have other places for you to check. Until we know exactly what is going on with the batteries and charging system it's all just guesswork.

You state there is a refrigerator vent which is only used for a gas refrigerator. That implies that a residential refrigerator was installed by a previous owner. The gas refrigerators had two 120VAC plugs, one for the heating elements and one for the icemaker. One has continuous power but the other does not, so it is critical to plug into the correct receptacle.

You can call Monaco (Rev Group) 877-466-6226 and ask for a copy of the original Build Sheet (Window Sticker) and Data Card. The Data Card gives information on specific part number, model number and serial numbers of accessories installed in the coach. They will need your VIN for those.

I don't know what Monaco did in 2006 but my 2007 has the Solar Combiner box on the roof. It is a rectangle box approximately 4"X6" and is about 2 inches high. The solar panel wire runs across the roof to it. My Helitrope RV-30D is in the second bay behind the steer tires, drivers (road) side.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

Sounds like you have a pretty steep learning curve on gaining knowledge of how your coach operates. Study the manual and start gathering as much information as you can on every component that is used on your coach. I was the same way but after ~12 years of ownership I've accumulated a substantial amount of information on my coach and components and can now contribute to the forum.[/QUOTE]

Just found today that I have an Essex 1701 and Essex 1704 Keyless and Key FOB system. The manual says a couple things on one page basically but I looked for them for sale and found a company with all the manuals, even more than the Essex site...Wiring Diagrams etc...so saving all that. So goes the process in line with your suggestion to slowly start accumulating things. I am goingto do it with every system basically and beyond just the Monaco manual.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

CountryB & others

I found that stuff under the big slider through bay up on the ceiling of the bay. Missed that. I checked voltage and I have about 13 volts and volts to everything. I must have wiggled some wires perhaps for the Aladdin becasue now my system shows 1.2 amps

I am showing 1.2 amps with 2 solar panels. I cleaned them and it still shows 1.2 amps. There are two 100watt panels. Probably not 100% efficiency, the sun is lets say at a 30deg angle so maybe we are getting 65% of the potential with a perfectly clear day. Subtract the loss of irradiance from the fires here in California and we may be at 50%.
The manaul it says "On a bright sunny day, charging amps should be 3.5 to 5 Amps per panel." So that would mean if I'm at 50% of that for each, that would mean I should still see 3.5-5 amps for both panels.

I have an irradiance meter. Its my understanding 1200 is ideal. It is showing 726 or so where the RV sits in current conditions. So I would say the 50-65% is probably accurate on production. I tried to start the generator and it needed the boost switch, which it normally doesnt need. The solar is not keeping up with the bleedoff devices (nothing on like inverter or fridge etc.).

Not sure why the system is only at 1.2 amps.

Your thoughts? Anyone?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

One panel not producing

I took a blanket up and covered one of the solar panels and the production went to zero, meaning the other panel is not producing for some reason. Now to take off the refrigerator roof vent and see that combiner box. I assume there are not fuses in there which means either the connection is loose, corroded or if I remove it form the system I should see voltage, if not it'd be a bad panel.

Still wondering about the low production on the other. Not 3.5-5 amps. It was doing 1.2 around 2pm sun irradiance of 726. So not sure if both are junk.

What am I missing? Any fuses etc? Only think I saw in theback by engine is a bunch of relats and a 5amp fuse marked solar (probablkky control fuse for something). I need to find how all the stuff in theback is wired and where the solar may come in. Maybe it is only showing1 amp becasue the deman is low. I know thecoach batteries were fully charged stand alone (4 12v batteries in parallel). But it reads 11.7 volts on aladdin a couple days later and needed a boost. The Gena ppears to be on the coach and the engine on chassis and boost tying them together I assume in that back box with that big relay or something. But seeing what all that is on a dagram would be nice.

Ideas, thoughts, pdf of diagrams?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210917_163422.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	343906  
Old 09-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There should be 2 fuses for solar close to the battery disconnects, one for chassis and one for house. On my coach the 5 amp fuse is for the chassis battery and a 25 amp fuse for the house battery.

When you take the vent cover off to check the combiner box you should be able check voltage, you will have to disconnect one from the terminal block but you should be able to it. FWIW, my connections in the combiner box were very corroded.

Also, I was having the same trouble and I found 2 of the 3 solar panels were bad, fortunately they were under recall from Kyrocera and they sent me two new ones free of charge and paid for the shipping.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #13

Found Corrosion & Arching

When I removed the refrigerator vent cover I could hear arching and once off the wires were burned and corroded. I removed the wires, stripped what i could back to test each panel and one had 23 volts, the other 22V presumably due to shading of about 30% of the panel due to an AC unit. I temporary wired the system back together and checked voltage and it was 12V. I assume this is because once connected the controller downline. I will add and shrink wrap additional SO cord so I can cut back the damage and put in a weather proof combiner.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Corrosion & Shorting Combiner Box 09-22-21 (4).jpg
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	343927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion & Shorting Combiner Box 09-22-21 (3).jpg
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	343928  

Name:	Corrosion & Shorting Combiner Box 09-22-21 (6).jpg
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	343929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion & Shorting Combiner Box 09-22-21 (2).jpg
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	343930  

Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #14

Did your Panel look like this?/Production guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

Also, I was having the same trouble and I found 2 of the 3 solar panels were bad, fortunately they were under recall from Kyrocera and they sent me two new ones free of charge and paid for the shipping.

How did you determine what type of panels they were? Is it on th back of them where you have to unbolt them? Did they look like this or different? I think these are good, they have the proper voltage and the amperage went from 1 to 2 amps with the sun at about 430pm and irradiance at 352. If we double that irradiance at noon on a smokey day, we should see the output double I would assume. We will see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22V Due to Shaddow 09-22-21 (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	343931  

Tags
charging, solar