Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar panel question

On my 04 Monaco Windsor, I'm not sure if my solar panel is working properly. In bright sun, it barely reads 13 v, and with the slightest overcast it drops significantly(Alladin monitor readings). I'd like to find a fault isolation procedure to verify whether or not there is a problem. Control box is behind bedroom tv, but I don't have any documentation to test it. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
More info needed. Is this a factory installed solar panel?
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You should be more concerned with the AMP output of the panels. Your controller should have a switch to display this number.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 04 Signature had 1 solar panel and Monaco must of got a deal on them as they were an odd voltage, not made anymore. They had 44 small solar cells 4 cells X 11 cells cells. I tried to add 1 more panel and was told they would not work right together. The new panels have 36 cells 4 cells X 9 cells. I traded in my old panel (gave me $ 200) and bought 2 new ones. Now on a sunny day the Aladdin shows charging at 12 to 13 amps. Very easy to install, just mounted and ran wire to combiner box in fridge vent.

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I'm sure it is factory installed, based on wiring routing, position of the Heliotrope RV-45D compared to info from other posts on this forum, and Alladin monitor screen display. I can try to identify the make and partno of the solar cell. My initial concern was if the cell was putting out the watts it should. The highest volt/amp readings I've observed on the Alladin monitor is 13 V and 2 Amps. Since the batteries drain pretty quickly, I keep the power cord plugged in, so the fact that the batteries are topped off probably influences the readings. Tomorrow I will unplug power and put a load on the batteries, to see if the amp readings on the Alladin increase (if we have sun).
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

These 2 old Seimen's panels put out ~7 amps combined on a good day. During the Winter, (the only time I use my MH) it is usually aroung 5A. When I'm in the MH, with the TV, laptop and the usual items on, it will keep up. When I had a 5er with a Trimetric, I saw it show "Full" after a long dune ride(1-2 hrs). I can adjust the "Tilt" angle, and yes, they have a security cable tied to my MH. According to "Bob" the solar guy, small arrays don't need a controller. They plug into a 30A polarized connector through Outdoor Landscape wiring (I forget the ga, but it's pretty thick - 6 or 8), and travel in my enclosed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I don't know if your Alladin is like mine; maybe you have more info on your screens. Mine shows two things, 1) Solar: Volts and amps. 2) House: Volts and amps.
When unplugged, SOLAR volts will bounce around with changes in sunlight intensity, but seems to top out at 13 volts. Amps sits at 2.
HOUSE volts sits at 0.1 volts less than SOLAR reading.
When plugged to shore power, SOLAR Volts reads just like when unplugged. Amps sits at zero. HOUSE Volts still follows SOLAR Volts readings. HOUSE Amps reads what I think are good readings (11 amps) based upon how much I let the batteries discharge since I disconnected from shore power (unplugged yesterday and left inverter on, but no other loads except parasitic (like CO detector, Salesman relay, etc). My alladin manual tells me very little, just that you can read solar info on that screen. If there's more specific info around, I'd sure like to know about it.
Also, my solar panel has no name visible on it; just a barcode. I found a fold-out sheet of paper in my doc labeled 'BP Solar' which describes series and parallel installations, so I'm guessing it's their panel. The panel area is 26 1/2" wide and 52 1/4" long, and has 72 4" square cells. I have no idea what the wattage rating is. Another posting which suggested looking for Solar info on the Boondocking forum led me to some very useful troubleshooting and safe-handling info.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by late starter View Post
On my 04 Monaco Windsor, I'm not sure if my solar panel is working properly. In bright sun, it barely reads 13 v, and with the slightest overcast it drops significantly(Alladin monitor readings). I'd like to find a fault isolation procedure to verify whether or not there is a problem. Control box is behind bedroom tv, but I don't have any documentation to test it. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
HAve any photos of it? General size? Can you disconnect it from the controller and get a no-load voltage reading?

The good news is that if the panel is bad, it's not a big deal to get one of the same approximate size up there for a reasonable fee.

If it's under heavy load 13.x volts may be fine. Under no load, that's likely marginal (although still charging) - the real test would be to get an amp meter in line and give us it's voltage and amperage (actual watts).

I do residential solar.. No load panels are generally in the 14.v range. 13.x doesn't mean it's bad... And if it's doing 13.v at 2 amps, I just want to know how big it is to see if that's ballpark.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Roger, I'm sure your Aladdin is just like mine. Mine would do the same thing as yours on readings. The Heliotrope RV-45D should shut down charging when hooked to shore power. I got volts but 0 amps. The best I ever saw was 4 amps in summer with sun straight up and voltage would show 21 volts and 0 amps at times. I do not think it worked correctly so I replaced it with 2 new panels. Now I get 16/18 volts with 12 amps charge in good sunlight. Have you ever calibrated the Aladdin on solar amps. It is easy to do, I think instructions are in the manual. If not PM me and I will send you them. Give me a day or so as we are driving to new location.

Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

In my dynasty i have a rv30d solar controller it shows 13.2 on both coach and starting batteries and it still shows 1.9 amps going into the coach from solar panel on a cloudy day. I have some 12v on so it is making up for it..
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for the feedback. In my last update I gave panel dimensions. I never thought to look for calibration procedures for the SOLAR. I've done holding tank calib. They are easy. Since my last posting, I disconnected shore power and ran medium loads till my battery readings on the Intelligent electrical system were 90%. Turned all the loads off but left the inverter on. It read 84% in the morning after I shut off the inverter and let the batteries stabilize. I then let the sun shine do its thing. Late afternoon battery was down to 80%, so it looks like the panel is not keeping up with the draw from parasitic loads.
I will try to measure no load volts from the panel some time this week, and do an in-line amp reading afterward. Thanks again for the feedback. I can't remember how many times folks on this forum have helped me solve problems, but It's a bunch! Many times just from reading others' experience. It's great!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

You can take an amp meter (10A+) and go right across the +/- leads to get the true amp output of the panels. It will not harm them. On a good day, I get ~7A out of my combined panels.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar