Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar wires from the roof

My 2003 Monaco Executive did not come with a solar panel. But now that I'm in the middle of swapping out the Norcold with the Samsung RF18 frig. I see the solar wires from the roof top frig vent all ready there. I looked in the big book wire diagrams, that came with the coach. And it points me to the bedroom cabinet where the TV is, but no luck. I was also running new cables for the TV in the bed room and had to remove the TV from it's location. The wires from the roof top frig vent go back in between the ceiling towards the back. Any help would be helpful.
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

I would look in the area behind your 12V fuse panel because Monaco may have planned to tie the OUTPUT of the charge controller (which they may have also put there) to the main INPUT of your 12V fuse panel. The wires for the solar may just be terminated if Monaco did not also pre-install and wire a charge controller. The size and distance of the factory wiring and charge controller (if any) will determine the max size of the panel(s) you can mate to it. Ideally the wires and charge controller would be located to allow the shortest route for input and output wires to the battery compartment. The factory solar on my Palazzo ran the wires through some strange route to my inverter bay where the charge controller was installed (good and accesable) but did not run the OUTPUT directly to my house batteries which were in the adjacent bay, but instead dissappeared back into the coach and fuse panel (OK for a small battery maintenance charge but not for a larger system).
Good luck
Old 04-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

You might also look in the kitchen area, pull the end cap off cabinet that has according slide door, my solar monitor which I think was factory installed is on wall across from refrigerator.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
While my 08 Navigator is a little newer I first found the large red/black solar wires from the roof in the ceiling of the wet bay. Was able to follow them forward and into the ceiling of the next bay with the inverter on the other (passenger) side. Cut 6-8' off of them as I mounted my mppt controller next to the inverter.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our solar wires run from the roof top down through the refrigerator roof vent along side the fridge into the basement.
The solar charge controller is mounted to the basement ceiling under the plywood cover.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the help. I'll be looking into this more.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #7

Same with my 05 Executive. The controller (which I assume you do not have installed) is in the basement directly under the fridge. Shortest wire possible...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Our solar wires run from the roof top down through the refrigerator roof vent along side the fridge into the basement.
The solar charge controller is mounted to the basement ceiling under the plywood cover.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Is that a pretty standard thing (being pre-wired for solar panels) in Monacos? I've often wondered if my 2009 Camelot was pre-wired, and if so where the wires would most likely be found. Does anyone know?>
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Look under the refrigerator shroud on the roof, that is where they put the junction box to connect the wires from solor panels.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I will try this weekend to see where the wire could be. Hopefully with luck and in between the rain all weekend. Should have an answer.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

On my 2000 Executive, the charge controller is in the bedroom under the TV. Mine came with one solar panel. The combiner is on the roof over the fridge and can handle up to four panels. It will trickle charge both engine and chassis batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-30 Charge Controller.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	243483  
Al Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Brooker View Post
On my 2000 Executive, the charge controller is in the bedroom under the TV. Mine came with one solar panel. The combiner is on the roof over the fridge and can handle up to four panels. It will trickle charge both engine and chassis batteries.

This is not good advice at all. Check the gauge of wire that runs from the roof and check the amps/volts your charge controller is capable of. That determines how many panels and in what configuration (serial or parallel or a combo of both). Don’t blindly follow this advice.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #13

99 Signature.
This unit came with 4 panels on the roof and this RV 30 Controller from the Factory. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_140946.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	243499
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #14

Sorry
Charged and overtemp lights are reflecting the flash.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, solar