Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

Some observations from AZ trip

Hi folks, just wondering if my Beaver is the only one, who's fuel gauge doesn't read right? It stays on full until it has about 300 miles, then seems to fall back to 1/4. Looked at and checked gauge and wires, acts like it might be a ground? Has anyone tinkered with the sending unit, and is it accessible? The second observation, the odometer is exactly one mile off, according to GPS. If that's the case, well, there goes the fuel mileage! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Hi folks, just wondering if my Beaver is the only one, who's fuel gauge doesn't read right? It stays on full until it has about 300 miles, then seems to fall back to 1/4. Looked at and checked gauge and wires, acts like it might be a ground? Has anyone tinkered with the sending unit, and is it accessible? The second observation, the odometer is exactly one mile off, according to GPS. If that's the case, well, there goes the fuel mileage! LOL!!
Not sure if this will help but my Chev truck had fuel gauge sending glitches and it turned out to be a bad ground. My son drilled a hole in the corner of the tank and then in the truck frame and ran a clean ground wire and the tank fuel level read quite accurately after that. YMMV.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I had this same issue with my 2005 Beaver. Turned out to be a bad sending unit in the fuel tank. Extended warranty covered replacement & labor.

For the time it was bad, I used the Aladdin system to gage my fuel usage and when it should be refueled.
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
If you have the Centroid sending unit, that is a common problem. Many folks have proposed cures that involve checking connections and adding grounds. On both my Monaco coaches, none of that worked. Even tried removing and cleaning the sending unit--no joy.

Replacing the sending unit directly from Centroid fixed it both times. About $100 or less.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The sending unit can be calibrated, see here
http://centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm

I recalibrated mine ~2 years ago, it is still not accurate but better.

I now use a Silverleaf for monitoring fuel consumption, very accurate and provides fuel economy for trip.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
If you have the Centroid sending unit, that is a common problem. Many folks have proposed cures that involve checking connections and adding grounds. On both my Monaco coaches, none of that worked. Even tried removing and cleaning the sending unit--no joy.

Replacing the sending unit directly from Centroid fixed it both times. About $100 or less.
I replaced mine last year as well and the lady that answers the phone and takes your order is very friendly.
They have a form you can get and diagnose your sender problem by emailing their very friendly as well technician; help@centroidproducts.com
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Mine stays on full for quite awhile but, I fill it to the top of the filler neck (damn 100 gallon tank). Once it starts moving it is pretty accurate. When it shows 1/2 a tank I usually put in about 55 gallons.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies, folks. I did start using the Aladdin system, but it is quite disconcerting to watch the gauge setting on full, then falling back to half, then 2 miles down the road it's back a full! LOL!! There was a thread awhile back about anyone taking a 2000 mile trip with out lay overs, because of mechanical troubles. Well, we just came 2010 miles with one mishap. The lower intake hose connection from the turbo to the CAC blew off pulling the hill out of Albuquerque. Stayed over night, Googled Autozone to find new hose clamps, left before 10:00 am.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
I had this same issue with my 2005 Beaver. Turned out to be a bad sending unit in the fuel tank. Extended warranty covered replacement & labor.

For the time it was bad, I used the Aladdin system to gage my fuel usage and when it should be refueled.
Just got a 2005 beaver and my fuel gauge bounces around too. But I watch Aladdin and I can live with it. Sounds like a common problem. Ok dr q. Keep in touch. Haha. Mine is a monterry 40ft. What's yours?
Mrbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That 400 hspr cat is impressive I bet. Sounds great.i just retired so heading south with the better half jan. 1...
Mrbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ours was a non responsive ground. Ran a new one from the tank unit to the gauge. Works GREAT now. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Hi again, we've been in AZ. for better than 2 wks now, and because the temps have been bouncing around, I figured it was time to fill the fuel tank back up. When I got to the station, Aladdin said 46.4 gals. had been used, and the gauge set at 1/4. So I started filling the tank, (the right side), and it didn't want to let the automatic nozzle work with out playing around with the angle. As I remember, that was the side I filled the time before, and it had acted up that time too. The point being, when I got to 46 gals. it was still taking fuel, but wouldn't leave the auto fill nozzle alone so I manually fed it, (another 30 gals.), for a total of 70 gals! If I had went by the Aladdin, I could have ran out of fuel, and I didn't believe the gauge, same result. I had set trip number, and that would not have helped either, because it only had 300 mi. on it! Now, what? LOL!! Apparently this fuel gauge problem could leave one stranded.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would use your mileage indicator on your speedometer (after fill up). Record the current miles and write down the # you think you could safely go before fill up time. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 AM   #14

Fuel gauge

When I bought my 01 Exec. the fuel gauge didn't work. Sent for a sender from Centeroid. . Installed it and it still didn't work. I, for some reason tapped the gauge on the dash and it started to work . It has worked ever since!!. I usually fill when the gauge shows about 1/2 full. The trouble is it seems to get to 1/2 too fast!! I don't seem to be getting very good mileage. 4 1/2 to 5. Is there something that could be done to improve the mileage? Is this about average for this coach?

rdstr 29
2001 Monaco Exec
2005 Jeep liberty (toad)
rdstr29 is offline   Reply With Quote