Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
google "rv inspections" include zip code of where it is located to find someone close.
Thanks. As much as I use Google I should have thought of that.

Many of you have good points. I realize no matter what there will be things I want to change or that will need fixing. As I will have my Jeep behind me full time and because I am in Oregon I have decided I will have a diesel pusher. I am prepared for the costs and I understand there will no doubt be some surprise no matter who inspects it before I purchase.
I will take all these points to heart and take my time before I make the plunge. Hopefully in the next few months I will introduce myself as a noobie.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Keep us posted!

I am also a newbie about to pick up a 1997 Monaco Windsor PB.

I'd love to hear what you did and what you found out.

Babylon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Babylon, welcome to the forum. The Windsor is a great coach and a lot of bang for the buck. Be careful, some of the short wheelbase models can be road wild. The 1997 model will have a mechanical Cummins C8.3L engine. Hopefully they ordered the Onan diesel generator and not the propane version. Be prepared to repair and fix dozens of systems to bring it back up.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
1. Tire codes have been discussed.
2. Engine mfg and size Cummins can pull engine records with engine number.
3. Expect to spend about $1k minimum for oil change, lube, belt change etc.
4. If you ultimately buy it, video tape a walk thru with seller. You can refer to it later when you're stumped as to how something works.
5. Remember this is an older coach so most "stuff" will be dated. Replacing the TVs, radios etc. are cheap upgrades.
6. Inspect the front run bay and pay close attention to the condition of the wires and connections. Are they rusty, loose, dirty? Those conditions encourage those connections to fail.
7. Hiring an inspector is a good idea BUT YOU MUST BE PRESENT. He can SHOW you things you might not catch in a written report.
8. You're going to tow the Jeep. You'll need a tow bar and base plate arrangement along with some sort of braking system. I use the Ready Brute system which has surge braking built into the tow bar. Quick and easy. Check fleabay,craigslist, offerup and other sites for used.
9. You can also have the coach checked for leaks. https://rvlife.com/leaking-rv-buying-tips/ is informative.
10. If the rig passes all the above tests...enjoy it!.....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
One item I neglected to mention about tires. If the coach needs tires, FMCA has an excellent tire buying program for Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestones. Lots of info available on tires. Take each 'issue' one step at a time....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #20

I started RV’g about 4 years ago and am on my 3rd rig
95’ 31’ holiday rambler vacationer - rebuilt coach & chassis - gave to my son
99’ 40’ Winnebago grand tour vectra - did lots of repairs/upgrades - sold
2008 40’ Phaeton DP
A rig that age with no slides will have a lot fewer systems to have problems with
(no: slide hyd systems, rollers, seals, toppers, etc ... no aqua hot ... etc)
They’ll be a lot of old technology ... CRT TV, back up cams, dash radio, inverter/charger, etc)
88K is a lot of miles for an RV. at that point expect suspension part replacements, maybe starter, alternator, etc.
20+ can also bring issues ... roof sealants, window sealant, double pane window seals, .... in industrial maintenance rubber items over 7 years should be replaced ... belts, coolant hoses, heating hoses, vacuum hoses, seals... etc. some may last much longer
On 95’ hydraulic transmission tube/hose lines leaked & had to be custom made, rear pinion seal replaced, dash AC wouldn’t hold charge, replaced all rubber seals, valves, dryer, compressor seals leaked.
Plastics will become brittle over time, roof vent covers broke/replaced, vent fan blades brittle/broke/replaced.
Interior finishes had issues, vinyl wall paper wrinkling ever where, ceiling vinyl sagging, etc
Exterior had some delamination, paint fading, etc
Bottom line ... if your mechanically inclined and like to tinker it can be a fun hobby ... if you expect no problems ... you’ll be unhappy
Just trying to be realistic
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #21

P.s. ditto maintenance issues on generators. The first two rigs were gassers with low hour Onan gas generators ... I spent about $3500 with Onan before I just started repairing myself .... they were the ban of my existence until I got all the bugs worked out. So far no issues with diesel onan.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:11 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, all this data is really helpful, and thanks to all who commented on my exact model and year. Very helpful and appreciated!

David
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
already sold

It sold before I could get there. Too bad. I don't agree that 88000 is too many miles for a diesel rig. In the many pictures I got it looked like a new coach.
I am prepared for the things that need fixing. I am looking for good running gear and a shell in good condition. The house systems i can deal with as I will have nothing but time.
Still looking.
Oh and I already have the tow system with a brake buddy for towing the jeep. It tows great behind my Ram 2500.
thanks to all who respond.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
The FMCA Tire program is currently offering deals for Michelin, Hankook and Continental.
see: https://www.fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts

+1 on Veraken's recommendation for getting Engine oil, Trans Fluid & Coolant analysis. It's only useful if those fluids have not been changed recently. Once that's done, change these fluids and all belts and hoses (unless you have proof belts& hoseshave been recently changed).
Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #25

Tires?

Lots of options but IMO dont overlook these folks for tires.

https://simpletire.com/

I was shopping around and I signed up for their online coupon program and received a smookin deal (IMO) via a text message just a few days later saving me an additional $327.00 off a already good deal.

8 - Toyo M144 295/80R-22.5 @ $400.00 per tire delivered no additional charge to my home by common carrier.

I had them installed and zirconium bead balanced by a Mobil tire guy at my home for about $320.00

Happy Trails
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Tires?

Lots of options but IMO dont overlook these folks for tires.

https://simpletire.com/
+1 on Simple Tire. Saved a good amount on some E rated tires for my TT from them.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #27

Check out bottom of slides at least the area of 2006 the bottoms rot out and it’s a big job to fix and add the stainless supports that go underneath the slide. it’s the little front and rear corner pieces that let the unseen water sit until the bottom slide supports go through the bottom . Unlike other Monaco products the beaver is safe from this as the design of the bottom differs
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Disappointed to state that the Monaco i was looking at was so far gone that I couldn't see buying it as my very first one. Even for a great price, there were so many things wrong with it. Drove 4 hours to see it, then 4 hours back empty-handed.

So, back to the search.

Tags
tips