Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Source Engineering Bilstein shocks

Hello everyone,

I am in Oregon heading towards Eugene and thinking about shocks. I would like to get some real-life feedback on opinions from folks who have replaced their shocks on an S10 chassis. If you have installed the Source Engineering tuned Bilstein have you seen a significant improvement? Are you happy with your decision to install them or are you underwhelmed by them?

If you replaced your shocks with Konica, what made you decide on these vs. The Source Engineering tuned Bilstein.

Thank you in advance for your input,

Stuart O.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #2

I had them done at Source, while getting other items completed. My old were original with 93k miles on them. So honestly anything was better ride.
You find several threads about this same subject. Look for the suspension modifications.
I would say take your pick, Konis or Bilstein and Monroe. Pricing varies, as does warranty. I can tell you Source has a lifetime warranty! Good luck.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Different chassis, but I put Bilsteins on our 98 Windsor. At just under 100k miles, and with the shocks replaced once before, three of the four passenger side shocks would slide with no pressure or resistance. In other words, dead, dead, and dead.

Noticeable improvement in ride, of course!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #4

Source Eng. Shocks

Replaced my original front Bilstein shocks at 40k, very harsh ride. The Source Engineering shocks have smoothed out my ride I am very pleased with them after 14k miles.
I replaced my rear original shocks just a couple of months ago with the standard Bilstein shocks...so far I am happy with ride, some improvement but not as much as the Source Engineering shocks on the front. It was just a $$$ decision.
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My S10 came from the factory with Koni's (special order). I drive a friends S10 occasionally with Bilsteins and they are much harsher on expansion joints and pavement transitions, same tires same pressure, relative weights. The newer Bilsteins "may" be better but when mine go they will be replaced with more Koni's. JMHO

Replacing on an '08?? How many miles?? Bad roads??
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tank you all for your input. I think the oem Bilstein and the Source tuned Bilstein are very different. I know many are happy with the Koni and see many good reviews with the Source Bilstein.

Yes, the Source Bilstein have a lifetime warranty.

I love the handling of our coach but would like to reduce the hard jarring when going over rough roads and pot holes.

Stuart
Old 05-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Koni FSDs with Source Engineering "comfort control valves" make a HUGE difference.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Stuart I just was at Source on Thursday and had them put the new source tuned shocks on my coach. My shocks were original Bilsteins with 49,000 miles on them and although my coach road and drove like a dream Jim agreed that 10 years on the original shocks was way overdue because the shocks Monaco used were not valved right and did not have the steel bushings in the shock eyelets, just all rubber grommets that wallow out. I have only driven it from there over here to Elite RV in Harrisburg and I think I feel some improvement going around the corners on the windy road from Coburg to Harrisburg. When we head out next week I will know better as we will be giving it a good test of about 1300 miles on our journey back to Nebraska. I had planned after the trip home to report on here what I thought of them to help others in making their decision, but if I notice something when I first head out I will report earlier than waiting till I get clear home.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

Hi Stuart,
My previous coach was a 2001 Monaco Dynasty w the Roadmaster chassis. I replaced the OEM Bilsteins with the Source Engineering tuned Bilsteins and there was a noticeable difference. I think that you would be pleased.
Don
Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I just installed the ride improvement kit, with the 60mm Bilstein shocks,the ride is amazingly steady, and not harsh in any way. The install of the shocks required some minor modifications of the shock mounts, but was accomplished with hand tools in my driveway. I'd recommend this kit. I have a 2011 Knight, with the RR8R chassis
Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the input. All great info which will help me make a decision on what to do.

Safe travels,

Stuart
Old 05-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Is the source shock different from the Bilstein comfort valve? Bilstein offers two models for my 01 Dynasty.
When I spoke to Bilstein the first guy said he recommended the standard due to my 43,000 pounds. The next guy recommended the comfort series said it was recommended for tag axle RVs.
I just had a rear drive axle Oem Bilstein tear through the top shock loop I need to replace mine too.
My ride is pretty harsh over expansion joints with the old bilsteins. Maybe the new valve design is better. Konis are $189 vs $90 for the 10 Bilsteins.
I'm also following this thread to see what dynasty tag owners have done since it's a relatively heavy coach.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx...e16_WEB_01.pdf

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA ENERGIZED Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
It's my understanding that Source had the shocks tuned for the Roadmaster chassis, and the 60mm shocks are quite different from the comfort valve Bilsteins. I'd call source and talk to them about it. Naturally, they're quite enthusiastic about their product, but they'll give you all the information you need.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #14

Ya can't have it both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post

I love the handling of our coach but would like to reduce the hard jarring when going over rough roads and pot holes.

Stuart
Bingo! No shock manufacturer has managed to defy the laws of physics. Those laws state that you must make a trade-off between rebound control and ride softness. There is not now, NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN, any shock absorber which affords a smoother ride AND greater rebound control. Someday, electronically controlled shocks may become commonplace and a much better COMPROMISE between rebound control and ride smoothness may be available. NOT TODAY.

The problem stems largely from the misnomer "shock absorber". They are "hydraulic dampers", plain and simple. Shocks absorbers DO NOT "absorb" shocks. They TRANSMIT shocks to your coach in varying degrees, depending on how stiffly they are valved. A very stiff shock transmits much shock to your coach while rapidly controlling rebounding. A very "mushy" shock transmits little shock to your coach but allows greater rebounding. Rebounding is commonly termed "porpoising" (love that word!).

When someone spends over $1500 for "shock absorbers" based on "expert advice" he got from the Internet, he IS going to notice an improvement--human nature. But that "best of both worlds" result could never be supported by physics, engineering, or empirical evidence.

So, you make your choice--If you want a smooth ride, it will require a "mushy" shock. If you want great rebound control, it will require a stiffly valved shock. There simply is no shock that can give both--it's the laws of physics.

I have found this subject interesting enough that I removed ALL four front shocks from my coach and took it for an extended drive on varied terrain. That experiment taught me that I prefer ride smoothness to rebound control. Luckily, that also presented me with choices of shocks that are a fraction of the price of the ones held in highest regard among Internet bloggers.

I am not trying to be critical of anyone's opinions or choices. I'm just saying that increased ride smoothness AND increased rebound control cannot be found in any single presently available shock absorber.

There are quite a few sacred cows comfortably grazing among us. This is one of them.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, shocks