Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard to tell at this point if there is any MPG improvement. However, the noise reduction is tremendous. Temperatures are about the same as with the OEM fan.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #30

DiplomatDon,
Wow, you write detailed instructions. If you type as slow as I do you probably actually removed your radiator and CAC faster then the time it took you to type the instructions. I really appreciate the thorough description.
I'm still thinking on the fan purchase. Mileage improvement is more of a consideration then the noise reduction for me.
If I do purchase the fan then I feel a lot more confident that I can change it out myself now that I have your's and Gordon66's work to follow.
Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #31

Last year I went on line and obtain the neccessay part to install the Horton Fan Clutch , cost $525.00 for the clutch, $95.00 for the new fan and $65.00 the adapter. Also paid a a dealer to program the clutch at a cost of $100.00. Besure that the shop has an Insight Program.

I decided to do this when my OEM radiator was damaged by a rock which I was glad my insurance company paid for a new radiator. I decide not install OEM radiator and had a rock guard radiator made at a slitely less cost and now have a 3 three line core instead of a two line core.

I have noticed that I have more low end power and fuel mileage went up 10%.Very pleased
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
After a long discussion with Jim at Source Engineering, I decided to bite the bullet and have one installed. I contacted C & S RV in Oxnard about a time frame and total out the door cost and was happy with their quote. I had contacted a couple of other repair shops, but their quotes and estimates were out of the price I was willing to pay.

I got to the shop about 9:00 this morning, and was back on the road by 1:00 this afternoon and this included them doing a basic chassis service, I could have been out sooner, but they caught me having lunch with a couple of friends.

The noise improvement is GREAT, the airflow is Great, the extra power, hard to tell at this point. We're leaving for a 7200+ mile trip next week, so we'll see if the mileage really improves.

I'll be taking a short (600 mile) trip over the next couple of days, so I may get an idea if the mileage improves. More to follow when the data come in.

Total cost for the mod includlng tax, shipping and labor was $965. All the work was done thru the bedroom floor.

Very nice people to deal with, did what they said they would and for the agreed price.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had never heard of C&S until yesterday when I ordered the sway bars from them. Good to know they do nice work. I figured the fan could be changed through the floor by someone with a long arm, at least the ones with the cover in the closet. My arms are long, but my sttomach seems to cut out some of the reach!

For those thinking of doing it yourself, the four bolts on the fan are 15MM and tough to break lose. If you're careful though, the fan and spacer will come off without dislodging the pulley.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I just got back from a 650 mile trip with the new fan installed, there is a noticable difference in the power, and the noise is virtually gone, my friend following me in his MH couldn't hear my fan as he did in the past.

My fuel mileage on the first half of he trip was about .4 MPG better than on previous trips, the return trip had 45 MPH head winds, so it was hard to determine the mileage improvement.

The only downside I found for the fan is that the exhaust braking is slightly worse due to the old fans parasitic load on hte engine no longer being there, a very minor issue.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #35

09 Neptune ISB340 5/10/11

Had the fan installed and finally got to play with it.

1 Definite significant noise reduction, I can now actually have a conversation beside the engine compartment and drive with the drivers window open. and the big acceleration scream is reduced to a normal level

2 Definitely more power, smoother more constant acceleration, could see the speedo needle moving more rapidly

Installed @ Berryessa/Sturken RV in San Jose they did it through the under bed access hatch, no radiator removal. they did a good job

Was it worth the money? YES! It does what Source Eng (JIM) says it wil do

Michael boyle
Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #36
YC1

I replaced our fan in June of 2011. What a phenominal difference in noise level. It shifts smoother, accelerates faster, and I saw something on the mh I have never ever seen before. 9mpg. About 1/2 mph improvement during preliminary tests. Absolutely no difference in cooling issues. The rear view camera audio system is actually usable now. The neighbors even commented on the noise level as I pass by. The money was well spent. I never ever would have expected to feel the difference in the accelerator pedal but it is obvious.

Best mod I have made on the MH. This should be standard equipment.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #37

You guys are killing me. I just about have everything fixed on my coach that was broke when I bought it. Now I gotta start replacing things that aren't?
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
YC1

To be more specific, the noise level dropped 4-5 db using a db meter at ten feet. That is 1/2 the sound level. That was at idle. Going down the highway without the roof air blasting I can talk to passengers in a normal in house voice. With roof or dash air going I can't hear the engine and have to look at the tach. Tire and wind noise are about all I can hear. To say it made a huge difference is an understatement.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
You guys are killing me. I just about have everything fixed on my coach that was broke when I bought it. Now I gotta start replacing things that aren't?
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #40
YC1

Thank you very much. Received the fan Yesterday (Tuesday) and immediately went to work installing it. For reference I have an 08 HR Endeavor Model 40 SKQ. This has a closet along the end wall. Initially I thought getting to the fan would require removing the charge air cooler which would have been extremely difficult for one person. I have heard folks talking about another entry compartment in the closet. Mine is all carpet and no signs of a cover. However after taking shrouds out from outside and being able to see up under the area it was apparent there was the possibility of finding another cover. Back inside probing with a knife point and screwdriver found the outline of a cover. Even with it out I knew there would be little possibility of getting to the fan from there but perhaps at least the bolts on the air cooler would be easier to get to. Once two stubborn screws were removed the cover would still not come out. I had to remove the closet doors and bottom wood part with the door tracks. Nothing difficult at all and only took a few minutes but getting to some of the screws takes some dexterity. Once they were out of the way it was easy to find the last two stubborn screws and remove those. This now gave me a very large opening into the engine. I could see the fan and laying the large hatch cover back on allowed me to lie down and reach through the fan blades to remove the bolts. A 3/8 ratchet set I was warned would not do the trick so I was prepared with the 15 mm socket and my long 1/2 inch torque wrench. I was able to get enough torque to break them loose and finish with a ratchet. One bracket holding some wires was disconnected and the old fan came out through the top with ease. The new fan was a snap to install. All in all had I known about the closet cover which is a great thing to know now after three years, the install should have taken about two hours at the outside.
Now for the results. To start the project I used a DB meter and took two measurements. One at the outside grill and one at ten feet. Standing at the back grill was uncomfortable to say the least. It was impossible to talk to someone. What I measured was a solid 5 db reduction in the noise level. I can now stand at the grill comfortably. The audio on my backup camera is now usable. I was able to easily listen to my wife through the system. In the past it was totally useless with the engine running. The noise was awful. I wish I had taken a reading from the drivers seat. However the noise level was very low and comfortable with the old fan. That said cruising down the freeway I virtually cannot hear the engine now.
What a great product. I can't wait to try your suspension parts.
Here are some pictures of the installation.
Regards,
Myron Truex

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	11831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	11832  

Name:	IMG_2409.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	11833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	11834  

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	11835   Click image for larger version

Name:	New fan.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	11836  

Name:	OEM fan.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	11837  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
My fuel mileage on the first half of he trip was about .4 MPG better than on previous trips, ...
Well, a 6-7% improvement in fuel mileage from a "FAN" is nothing to sneeze at, but the fan does seem a bit overpriced at $600.

Assuming 8mpg with old fan @ $4/gal =0.50/mile
7% is a $0.035 improvement in cost per mile
$600 / $0.035 = 17,143 miles for payback, and only gets better as fuel prices increase!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #42
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Well, a 6-7% improvement in fuel mileage from a "FAN" is nothing to sneeze at, but the fan does seem a bit overpriced at $600.

Assuming 8mpg with old fan @ $4/gal =0.50/mile
7% is a $0.035 improvement in cost per mile
$600 / $0.035 = 17,143 miles for payback, and only gets better as fuel prices increase!

I like the noticeable improvement in acceleration and the huge reduction in noise is wonderful. I don't feel so guilty idling it in my driveway while doing things to it. Heck, I spent more than that on a Euro chair for the MH. The steering stabilizer is overpriced as far as I am concerned but it too was worth the improvment in handling. Heck, its just money. I'm not leaving any when I'm gone.