Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Source Engineering Ultra Fan for Monaco coaches?

Good evening,
In the vendor forum there is a thread about the new Source Engineering Ultra fan for rear radiator Monaco chassis. They are claiming increased horsepower and mileage without any loss of cooling with the added advantage of less noise from the fan.
Has anyone here had the new fan installed? If so have you seen the kind of results that they are advertising?
In the past I was contemplating having a Horton viscous drive fan installed but I think this could be a reasonable alternative.
The way I have it calculated after discussing with Source and using their conservative figures on increase in mpg that itwould pay for itself within 15000 miles at $4.00 a gallon.
Really would like to hear someone's independent real world results though before I open the wallet and purchase this.
Thanks for any info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This may or may not help you but I've spoken several times to Jim Walls at Source and I would trust what he says.

There may not be many owners here with the Ultra Fan however I'm sure that you will get good endorsements about the company.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm sure that you will get good endorsements about the company.
Mike, looks like he would agree. According to Letsgoagains signature, he has already done business with them.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
Mike, looks like he would agree. According to Letsgoagains signature, he has already done business with them.
So there you go! Pre-disposed to success from Source.

Improved technology fans and clutches have been well received by many different owners and types of vehilces. I expect that this is another one of those stories with a happy ending.

Bob, Missed you at Stumpknockers was looking forward to seeing you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
letsgoagain... We are interested in the Ultra-Fan also...but one of the reasons is because I want to see if it will also quiet down our engine.
I will probably make a call to Keith at Redlands Truck & RV Service to see what his experience is from the installations he has done.
I will let you know what I find out.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

A little more information about my interest in this fan.
Yesterday I spoke with Scott from Source Engineering and he agave me a little background on the OEM fan and also about the new fan.
Basically the OEM fan is over engineered. By that I mean the angle of the blades is such that its drag from the wind resistance takes more horsepower from the engine then is really required for adequate cooling.
The new blades take advantage of a different angle and different materials. This efficency still provides adequate cooling with much less wind resistance on the blades therefore taking less horsepower from the engine which means better mileage Also much less noise because less air is being moved around. I think MonacoMama will be happy to hear that Scott said some folks have had the fan replaced for that reason alone.
I have dealt with Source Engineering before when I chose to replace my trailing arms. They are very well built and so I'm sure that the new Ultra Fan will be well built also.
I am pleased that Scott took the time to give me the history of the fan design and provided me with some of their numbers on what to expect if I do replace the fan. I have no doubt Source is a reputable company.
I'm still hoping that someone who has replaced their fan with the new one will hop on board and comment about their results.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nobody has talked price here, so I called Tim today at Source. He said it retails for $550.00. I'm getting ready to R&R my radiator in a couple of weeks and I'm interested in installing the fan. I think it's a little pricey, but less complicated than the Horton. With tax and shipping about $650.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

We do not have a rear rad but If I did would be worried that the new fan might not move enough air. Does the fan really draw 70 HP? WOW! They may be thinking "outside the box" and have a great product. However Horton wrote the book on Diesel engine fans and they do have a kit for some rear rad products.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

Diplomat Don, I know the radiator that you are about to remove and repair is a bigger deal but Scott from Source was telling me that the Charge air Cooler which sits on top the radiator on our motorhome is only held in by four bolts and of course the clamps around the inlet and outlet.
He said once you have that out of the way then the fan is right there in front of you. I'm actually thinking about changing the fan myself and while in there changing out the belts that I've not done yet.
Moisheh, I was concerned about maybe not enough air circulating also, but Scott assured me that the new fan's still provide's more then enough air movement to keep the temps down.
I guess the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Thats why I still want to hear from someone who has actually had this fan installed.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hmmmmm -Maybe it is time that I send SacsTC back up to Source so he can "test" the new fan!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered the fan today. It will ship on March 25. Jim at Source says it's a great improvement and does what they claim. We'll be making a trip to Ohio in July then to the FMCA Rally in Madison, WI. That should be a good test trip. I'll let you all know.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay Gordan....what was the price...they dealing at all.....had to ask.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$550 + shipping as stated in the earlier post. Shipping is $56 to here in Texas.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I've closely watched this thread with interest as I already have the Horton (viscous) two speed fan installed on my coach. The difference from the OEM is amazing, ... more power, less noise.

I've yet to see anything showing the difference between the Horton and the Source Eng fan. Is there a comparison chart or does anyone know where one shines above the other?

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote