Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Source for a CAC (Charge Air Cooler) 2002 Windsor

Had road debris kick up and get thrown into my radiator, it is in the shop now with the radiator out. Put in claim under insurance that was finally approved yesterday.

In the mean time I took the CAC to a radiator shop for cleaning and testing and they said it is leaking and can't be repaired. They are sourcing one.

Has anyone replace the CAC on their 2002 Monaco Windsor with 8.3L 350 HP Cummins?

If so where were you able to source?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is some bad, or good luck depending on how you look at it. Hope you get it going and back on the road soon.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Source Engineering inc. Colburg, Or. rv-chassis.com 541.935.0308
OEM supplier for radiators and CAC's.
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Call Jim at Source.
Done deal!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Called Source, $1950 + shipping.

CG&J $1250 to rebuild mine meaning shipping X2 = $1500.

Local radiator shop same as CG&J so to save time and hassle I let the local shop send mine off for repair.

Also checked with Visione Auto mart, yes they have a used one, quoted me $2000 for a used one. Kind of ridiculous. I guess if I was desperate I'd think about it.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thats a 'bummer' Jim. What was the debris that took it out ? Now i must ask...where is the charge air cooler located at ? I have the side radiator.

Side note i did get my Progressive EMS protector installed yesterday at Buddy Gregg. The rig is slowly getting upgrades !!

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The damage to the radiator was in side lower right hand corner. This is being taken care of by insurance (less my deductible) ~$7800. They ordered the radiator from CG&J, don't know their cost but they quoted me $2350.

The CAC is located on the outside of the radiator, you may also have an AC Condenser unit located outside of that. The CAC is ~48" wide, ~25" high, 2.5" wide and bolted to the framing of the radiator. The radiator has 2 supports that suspend in from the chassis.

I really didn't think there was anything wrong with the CAC but was advised by others to have it checked. Guess I'm glad I did but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Owning a coach like this isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

$7800 to replace a side radiator seams like a rip off to me. Over $5000 labor no wonder insurance rates are so high 😠
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There were other parts involved, labor came to ~$2800. Still not justified as it took a VERY young mechanic ~5 hrs to get it out. Even if you figure another 10 hours to put it back it still is excessive.

I'm trying to work on the costs. If I buy the radiator there will be no markup, which is normally 50%, so a $2350 radiator costs me ~$3500.

If my cost trend continues on this rig I'll have to rethink ownership, it's eating into my retirement
Old 06-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jim I'm sure you have already figured out to just recore the CAC , that is so much cheaper and if the end caps are in good shape it is just as good as a new. Another cost cutting way is to learn do do most of the maintenance your self and if I was paying for the repairs I would have removed the radiator my self and had it recore. There is a couple threads on this forum on how to remove the CAC without removing the radiator ( I know you had to remove yours) and a couple threads on how to remove the radiator on a rear radiator coach but not one on the side radiator that I remember.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I was on the road when this happened, it developed a catastrophic leak and at the time I did not know what the real problem was. I know that I could pour a gallon of water into the surge tank and it came out as fast as I poured it so I knew I couldn't drive it. I had it towed to the Cummins Crosspoint shop, I know the manager there and anticipate that there will be adjustments. I am also going to buy the radiator myself which will save money.

The CAC is being rebuilt, I believe it is a fair price. It was my decision to have it tested to show how much it leaked.

Besides the radiator replacement I am having a complete engine flush, new antifreeze, replace the water pump and thermostats. This increases the cost but I thought while the radiator was out it was worth doing all of this.

I couldn't tow it home and don't really have enough space to tackle this kind of job. Our drive way has a pretty good slope to it with not much room on either side for access.

I do most of my own maintenance and could have probably done this job if I had the space. I have worked in the mining industry starting in a foreman's position working my way up to manage 3 different mines and at one time being Deputy General Manager of a mining complex which included the oversight of maintenance. My last position before I retired (at the age of 55) was COO of an international mining company. I have an BS in Mining Engineering, and MBA and Masters in Industrial Engineering.

I'm smart enough to figure it out and do a cost benefit analysis to include safety and risks. I believe I chose the right coarse of action. Since ultimately 85% of the cost will be covered by insurance my out of pocket will be reasonable.

Before people start making critical comments of what I should have done they need to know the big picture.

I take the time to post on this and other forums to both learn and hopefully help others. I do not appreciate derogatory comments about my skill sets.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I agree !
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote