Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

Spare parts recommended for a long journey

Weíll be going a couple long trips this summer. Southwest and Northwest to Alaska. We have dual slide 2005 Monaco Knight 37PBD with an ISC 330 with 30k miles.

Engine and generator have had all fluids and filters changed. ISC Serpentine belt and tensioner changed as well as ISC coolant hoses and coolant changed

Iím interested in what spare parts might be carried to help in unplanned breakdowns. I have a good selection of tools I always carry. I know I canít have everything, just wanna help with items that can strand us or greatly delay while awaiting parts

Hereís what Iíve accumulated so far:
12v and 120v fuses of all sizes
Slide relays
Various bulbs for the DP and toad (wrangler)
Extra fresh water hose
Extra black/grey sewer hose
Motor for slide outs (same one fits both slides)
Step motor
Carefree Canopy motor
Shurflo Water pump with extra fittings
Cummins lift pump with gasket
Leece Neville 160amp alternator

Iím thinking of taking an unmounted spare tire as well.

Opinions on additional parts?

Thanks,
Craig
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a spare filters, never had to change a fuel filter on the road but I did have a bad bout of algae that I found when doing a service. Since then I use Biobor on a regular basis (especially when RV is in storage) along with Star Tron Enzyme treatment.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

I would ad to your list, one height control valve. If one takes a dump, one end of you coach will be on the ground. They are not too expensive, and quick and easy to change. Also I would carry a small assortment of air fittings, I've had them just start leaking out of nowhere. Look around online and you can find a small assortment of fittings in a handy little plastic organizer. A few feet of air line, it's cheap so why not. Also I would keep a spare water pump for the engine, it's only 3 bolts to swap, so if it craps out, you can save your self from a roadside service call.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of things on your list what were not on mine on our Alaska trip, but you never know what you might need.

I don't go anywhere without a spare fuel filter, and I have had to change a filter on the road twice traveling the US. We also carry an unmounted spare and extra fluids for engine, trannny, coolant, etc. The thing that was the most valuable in a very remote area of Alaska was a simple hose splice & clamps for a hydraulic hose (for engine fan & power steering) that sprung a leak from years of rubbing the hose beside it. I caught as much fluid as I could in a 5 gallon bucket and was able to buy two gallon in a little station about 10 miles from the breakdown spot.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
I would ad to your list, one height control valve. If one takes a dump, one end of you coach will be on the ground. They are not too expensive, and quick and easy to change. Also I would carry a small assortment of air fittings, I've had them just start leaking out of nowhere. Look around online and you can find a small assortment of fittings in a handy little plastic organizer. A few feet of air line, it's cheap so why not. Also I would keep a spare water pump for the engine, it's only 3 bolts to swap, so if it craps out, you can save your self from a roadside service call.

Iím gonna have to look at a ride height valve. I havenít had trouble with them so I hadnít thought about them.

Iím adding the engine water pump!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Lots of things on your list what were not on mine on our Alaska trip, but you never know what you might need.

I don't go anywhere without a spare fuel filter, and I have had to change a filter on the road twice traveling the US. We also carry an unmounted spare and extra fluids for engine, trannny, coolant, etc. The thing that was the most valuable in a very remote area of Alaska was a simple hose splice & clamps for a hydraulic hose (for engine fan & power steering) that sprung a leak from years of rubbing the hose beside it. I caught as much fluid as I could in a 5 gallon bucket and was able to buy two gallon in a little station about 10 miles from the breakdown spot.

I shoulda mentioned I do keep a fuel filter and oil filter along with fluids on every trip.

The hose splice and clamps sound like a good idea. How do I know what sizes to buy?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surftalks View Post
I’m gonna have to look at a ride height valve. I haven’t had trouble with them so I hadn’t thought about them.

I’m adding the engine water pump!

Keep in mind there are part stores along the way for most of your trip. Usually things like a water pump will give you warnings and notice before a failure. There is a fine line to overthinking your problems, which I do all the time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #8

about 4 ft of heater hose and a couple of barb connectors and clamps those heater hoses are getting older. should be 5/8 or 3/4 inch
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also carry an air bag, height control valve, 25' of air line, various air fittings, a blinker relay, spare windshield wipers, and four spare fuel filters, two of each primary and secondary. I've had to change a fuel filter on the side of the road although now that I use Biobor JF, I haven't had to do it.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #10

For a trip to Alaska I'd carry a mounted spare and a torque multiplier. Roadmaster makes a nice spare tire carrier that you can still tow with.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Even though you changed your serpentine belt, carry a spare.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Even though you changed your serpentine belt, carry a spare.

I usually carry the old serpentine belt as my spare, same with keeping a replaced old tire as a spare. Better than throwing them away and hopefully I will never need them, but no $$ invested anyway.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I usually carry the old serpentine belt as my spare, same with keeping a replaced old tire as a spare. Better than throwing them away and hopefully I will never need them, but no $$ invested anyway.
That's what I do. I figure it'll get me to the next town. I ordered both belts from NAPA, it took one day to get it delivered from Dallas to my local dealer.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Keep in mind there are part stores along the way for most of your trip. Usually things like a water pump will give you warnings and notice before a failure. There is a fine line to overthinking your problems, which I do all the time.
X2 on this statement. Over the past eight years we've driven to Alaska, all of Canada (except Nunavit) and the lower 48, and Mexico and all we carry for spares are fuses, fuel filters, and a fan belt. What have we needed? A radiator and exhaust manifold....
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, parts