Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
When you get your oil changed at a "quick lube" facility - be wary of the products they use. Some shops are buying the cheapest oil they can in bulk and selling to you as a premium (i.e. synthetic) oil. Same for the filters.

Here's an example - but i have been hearing this same story for 20 years...

https://www.kxan.com/news/oil-change...ood/1156452193

If you want to guarantee the best oil is being used, ask for a labor only estimate and bring them your own oil and filters.
That is an interesting article. It makes me wonder how many distributors are pulling a scam on their customers - the quick lube places? I can see where the problem could actually be further up the food chain in some cases.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting info on Luberfiner. I never heard of them until a few days ago...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=339374
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Interesting info on Luberfiner. I never heard of them until a few days ago...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=339374
Yes, it is an interesting article. Its also 13 years old. A lot of things can change in that period of time. One thing I glean from this article is that it may be that Luberfiner may make filters to meet varying specs. For instance, when they built filters for Fleetguard, they may well have built a nearly identical filter to what Fleetguard would have built. I feel certain that the Fleetguard name was on it - not Luberfiner. On the other hand, when manufacturing for their own consumer line, they may build a cheaper filter that competes in price with Fram. They are a manufacturer, and can build to pretty much whatever spec they desire. Just because they built a filter for Cummins, doesn't mean their Luberfiner filters are the same as that; and vice versa. They can easily be two completely different quality filters.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
When I was a truck/diesel mechanic back in the 70s-80s, all the over-the-road trucks had Luber-finer filters. It was a top quality product then. They were all cartridge filters then.
I don't know anything about the product now.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
$351

Correction $311.05
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #48

Fleetguard makes their own filter. Has been this way for many years. Some oddball filters are not made by any of the big mfrs. If there is not much demand they buy them on the open market. Often from Champion ( not the spark plug company. This applies to many of the large air filters in DP's. They come from the original supplier of the air filter. Just a different box. Donaldson makes good filters. The share a plant with Cat and make both in the same plant. Both FG and Donaldson offer a premium filter at extra cost. Different media. Wix does not!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
My biggest issue is dealing with all the used oil(isx15) not disposal but containment. Otherwise servicing is an easy home job.
Just 5 gal bucket it and take to any disposal site
Old 12-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Just 5 gal bucket it and take to any disposal site
A good source of free 5 gallon buckets with locking lids is most any big grocery store or big box store that bakes and sells custom cakes. The cake frosting comes in 5 gallon buckets and they are usually happy to not have to deal with them once they are empty.
Besides the kids, both little and big, like to clean them up before the used oil goes in.[emoji39]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
I just had our coach annual service done at Speedco Las Vegas. The bill included a $70 Motorhome Service Charge. I screamed bloody murder and they grumbled some, but deleted it because they hadn't told me about it before they started.

This charge supposedly went into effect system wide in June. It certainly wasn't being added last year when I had the same service done at the same place. They also added a flat charge of $30 for Fleetguard filters that wasn't charged last year.

The RV charge notwithstanding, the service cost this year was roughly 10% higher despite doing less. They screwed up the generator fuel filter last year so I didn't allow them to touch it this time.

I have used Speedco for years but I think I'll check around before next year. Too bad, because that location is right on our annual migration path.

Cheers,

I used Speedco once... just once. And that will be the LAST time I do1!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #52

Speedco MH Upcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I used Speedco once... just once. And that will be the LAST time I do1!!

Okay!
Which Speedco did you go to, and how were they unsatisfactory?
Where DO you go and what DO they charge?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #53

Lube service labor a qualified service tech min 1.0 hour ..$140.00

500 ISM...11 gal Oil .................................................. $ 143.00

Quality Oil Filter .................................................. .......$ 35.00

Total .................................................. .......................$ 318.00

I do my own. I have a Fumoto drain Valve and use 5-gallon drain pans and I also pick up the empty 5-gallon containers from the local car wash that they get their soap and wax in and they have screw on lids fill them with the used oil and drop them off at the local facility that collects used oil. Do it my self is a bit of an inconvenience but know that it's done correctly and spend the good part of a day nosing around.

As far as the price a quality shop gets to do the job?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Good-Cheap-Fast (1).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	230109

Happy Trails
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I have been hanging out at RV websites for over 20 years. First with diesel trucks and towables and now with a diesel motorhome. It is amazing the emotion that can be stirred with just the mention of oil. Looks like oil changes can also get folks excited.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
My biggest issue is dealing with all the used oil(isx15) not disposal but containment. Otherwise servicing is an easy home job.

Bought this at Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
In light of the typically outrageous fees by all of the other places I’ve been or priced-out, I can’t complain about an extra 70 bucks from Speedco. Their quality and efficiency is superb.

The rest of the chincy chump change folks may please politely go pound sand!
Dave, I'm disappointed in the tone of your post. Definitely not helpful, and not sure why you are criticizing people don't like being taken advantage of. From your past posts, I expected better of you.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote