Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Splicing 12 Gauge Wire

I have a real first world problem. I removed the Splende washer/dryer and we've been using the space for storage. Now we want to put a wine cooler in there and the washer plug isn't on the inverter. I need it to run the cooler while were traveling!

I have blank spot in the inverter circuit breaker panel and I want to put a breaker in there, disconnect the washer wiring from the non-inverter circuit breaker and jump it to the new breaker. I'm thinking of using wire nuts, but wonder if there is a better way to connect the two wires.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #2

I think moving the wire from the non inverted breaker to the inverted breaker should do it. That means. The hot lead only. The other wire stays where it is.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

I installed a inverter next to the RV battery and snaked a extension cord through the under belly to the refrig. For traveling, I unplug the refrig from the wall plug and just plug it into the extension cord.
Wire nuts are also OK to use, just tape them.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

If you have 2 independent panels, I think its best that you move the romex, with all 3 wires, to the inverter panel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure how your coach is set up but my Washer and dryer is right under the TV in the bedroom and I believe this circuit is off the inverter, you might be able to jump off of it and put an outlet for the wine cooler.

If you can't run a whole new wire to the inverter panel I know that there are numerous wire nut connections in my coach but most are for the 12 volt circuits. I have had some of these come loose causing loss of power.

You might consider this type of connector
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-5...tors/999954386
Normally used in well applications as once you crimp the but connector you heat it and it seals the ends. For added protection you could also add another piece of shrink wrap over each splice to protect it and hold it together.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I think moving the wire from the non inverted breaker to the inverted breaker should do it. That means. The hot lead only. The other wire stays where it is.
I'm going to need to move all three to be safe, the hot, neutral and ground. I can't have the circuit split between two panels.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I installed a inverter next to the RV battery and snaked a extension cord through the under belly to the refrig. For traveling, I unplug the refrig from the wall plug and just plug it into the extension cord.
Wire nuts are also OK to use, just tape them.
All the outlets in my coach, except the washing machine outlet, are already on the inverter. I just want to put that circuit on the inverter too. Don't want to mess with extension cords.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you have 2 independent panels, I think its best that you move the romex, with all 3 wires, to the inverter panel.
That's what I want to do, unfortunately the non-inverter panel is closer to the outlet, so the romex is about 15" short and I need to lengthen it.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That's what I want to do, unfortunately the non-inverter panel is closer to the outlet, so the romex is about 15" short and I need to lengthen it.
You may be able to use the main breaker box as the enclosure to add the 2ft of romex to get to the inverter breaker box.

It would seem OK as long as the wire nuts are in the enclosure, even if just passing thru.

There are some electricions on here that may be able to confirm that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a MSW (vs PSW) inverter, have you checked to see if the wine-cooler is ''happy' running off of it?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #11

If you have to add Romex to get from the shore power breaker panel to the inverter breaker panel, wire nuts is how they would do it in a residential environment, but houses don'g enjoy a lot of jostling and vibration. I would use the wire nuts, then I would wrap all three connections tightly with some Scotch 33 tape, or something equivalent, just for mechanical long-term protection. And I agree with you 100% about keeping all three connections in one panel and not splitting it up. I would have to look to see if the possibility of splitting it between two panels is in the code, but if it is not, I"m pretty sure the code wouldn't allow it, and I would never do it.

And times two on Rusty Tools's suggestion about verifying that the wine cooler will be ok with a non-pure sine wave inverter output, unless your inverter is a true sine wave device.

Sounds like you've got an awesome plan going, there! Cheers!!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
If you have a MSW (vs PSW) inverter, have you checked to see if the wine-cooler is ''happy' running off of it?
I have a PSW inverter.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I have a real first world problem. I removed the Splende washer/dryer and we've been using the space for storage. Now we want to put a wine cooler in there and the washer plug isn't on the inverter. I need it to run the cooler while were traveling!

I have blank spot in the inverter circuit breaker panel and I want to put a breaker in there, disconnect the washer wiring from the non-inverter circuit breaker and jump it to the new breaker. I'm thinking of using wire nuts, but wonder if there is a better way to connect the two wires.
Yes that will work - not carrying a heavy load, so the connection is really not significant. All the rest of the discussions are just smoke - IMHO just simple - might just add a little tape and a box so as to sleep well...

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
I agree that a simple wire nut connection on a vehicle that is vibrating and bouncing down the road is iffy at best. The butt splice mentioned earlier is OK , but make sure that you tug hard on the wires after you splice them to make sure that the squeeze is good, but my personal favorite is solder, and careful tape.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote