Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Start batteries on 1999 Beaver

I replaced my start batteries 2 months ago and they still draw down after a few days sitting. I had a battery disconnect installed and they still are down to 10 volts after 3 days sitting. I have a solar panel on the roof, but am told that is only for the house batteries. ???
Baffeled to say the least, I have now put charger on them Friday, Dec.30th and will trickle charge at 2 amps until tomorrow, January 3rd. any ideas, I have had it at Butler Cat, they couldn't figure it out, now at RV repair and they are the ones installed the disconnect.
rv4fun-sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

My solar panel controller has two sets of terminals. One for the chassis batteries and one for the house batteries. What solar control box do you have? I also have a fuse for each of the different batteries. Even then your chassis batteries should not run down that fast. Something is on and drawing power. Is your CB radio turned off? Look at the MH at night and make sure there are no compartment lights turned on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #3

My '99 Beaver Contessa acts similarly. I haven't gone into great electron chasing detail yet. Since the problem seems just as, or even, more pronounced when the coach is fully up and running at an RV site/hookups, I'm thinking the coach DC system is somehow drawing from the chassis batteries, but the chassis batteries don't have the luxury of being charged by the inverter, and the solar panel isn't enough to keep pace. Will share my troubleshooting results when I get the energy--
TSchmelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Beaver questions answered by Beaver owners.
Beaver Ambassador Club
barbhalsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

I have a 99 Beaver, and I've just learned to live with the "intermittency" of the battery system. I have a solar panel (factory) for each bank of batteries and a follow-charger. The follow-charger is controlled by the electronic equivalent of a ouija board. The chassis batteries still run down on occasion, and then the generator won't start either. Leaning on the switch that ties both banks together usually helps to start the generator, but since it's an inverter/generator, it won't stay running until the charge comes up.

I'd join the BAC but paying FMCA dues and then BAC dues is just too much for me.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The BAC forum is a searchable site for any Beaver owner or potential owner. I used the site to research Beaver coaches before we ever made up our minds on what to purchase. I became a BAC member afterwards and am happy to have access to all the years of knowledge.
Barb
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Thanks Barb. I'll be joining the BAC. I do all the work on the coach myself, have learned much during the last 1+ years and have info to share. --Dave

1999 Beaver Contessa
TSchmelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchmelt View Post
Thanks Barb. I'll be joining the BAC. I do all the work on the coach myself, have learned much during the last 1+ years and have info to share. --Dave

1999 Beaver Contessa
Thank goodness! We have only had our coach for a few months and are still trying to figure everything out. I look forward to learning from your experience.
Barb
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fixed problem

Thanks to everyone who responded to the battery issue. After doing like everyone else would do throw more money at it. I finally convinced them that just because the batteries were new does not mean they are good. Well guess what!!! Bad batteries, Interstate replaced at no charge and we are on the road and traveling and everything works just fine.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all replies, but after contacting Interstate Battery they determined that one of the batteries was probably no good, and that is exactly what the problem was, replaced the bad battery and now everything works like its supposed to. Thank again.

Tags
batteries, beaver