RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 AM   #1639

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss7 View Post
Here's a video of the steering movement with the engine off. The previous tires had a TON of "rivering" in the tread all around, and the front tires were completely rounded out (my assumption was the previous owner had the tires overinflated). I really appreciate everyone's help!

You definitely will benefit from adjusting the TRW.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #1640

Monaco Owners Club
What a read !
Know it was a lot of work, but also KNOW the sense of accomplishment is a pretty cool feeling - great job...
And, of course, my datacard says sheppard HD94PQ31 :(
so guess it's not adjustable...not likely the previous owner changed it, but will look next time I'm at storage area )

Thanks for the info in this thread... now, what to do as I'm not a mechanic and leave the crawling around to others
Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #1641

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
You definitely will benefit from adjusting the TRW. Bob
X2 and it may take turning the adjustment 90 degrees CW to get it down to less than 1/2”. Crank the engine and make sure there is not a hard spot when turning from lock to lock.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #1642

steering adjustment after Sheppard replacement

I recently replaced my Sheppard M80 MPQ1 steering box with a like item.

While replacing the steering box I noticed that the stop bolts on the suspension are what is limiting how far I can turn my wheel right or left.

I would like to adjust my stop bolts, to tighten my turn radius so it is easier to maneuver into tight parking (storage) or camping spots (trees, power panels, etc).

The adjustment is straight forward, loosen the jam nut, turn the bolt to shorten, tighten the jam nut.

My question is how can I determine the amount I can adjust the stops without exceeding the internal stops in the gearbox?

If this is the wrong place to post just let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alex
AF Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #1643

Monaco Owners Club
Posting a private message I received yesterday to see if the swap community can help.

"We have a 2007 Holiday Rambler and have been wandering all over the place we’ve switched out gearboxes and got a new pitman arm. But it seems that the wheel turning ratio is now much tighter. The parts I got were gearbox TRW tas65052 and pitman is TRW 842425-02s. Should the pitman arm be 2 inches longer? We leave for a trip in a week and have got to get this figured out! "

I am looking through my notes but would love it if a previous swap coach owner with the same parts, or year coach, could assist this coach owner.

Thank you,

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #1644

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Posting a private message I received yesterday to see if the swap community can help.

"We have a 2007 Holiday Rambler and have been wandering all over the place we’ve switched out gearboxes and got a new pitman arm. But it seems that the wheel turning ratio is now much tighter. The parts I got were gearbox TRW tas65052 and pitman is TRW 842425-02s. Should the pitman arm be 2 inches longer? We leave for a trip in a week and have got to get this figured out! "

I am looking through my notes but would love it if a previous swap coach owner with the same parts, or year coach, could assist this coach owner.

Thank you,

Craig

Problem solved.

Cheers,

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #1645

TRW

We lucked out kinda. The 2000 Monaco Dynasty we purchased came with the TRW box. That's the lucky part. Unfortunately the previous owners never adjusted the box and we experienced a ton of play in the steering on the way home. Also the front tires had rivering. To make a long story short, the play cannot be adjusted out, it has had so much play for so that long the box is toast. We will be purchasing a remanufactured or rebuilt box. That's the unlucky part. Any ideas or suggestions for a good rebuilder in South Texas?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #1646

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
“ it has had so much play for so that long the box is toast”. Based on who’s opinion as I find that hard to believe???
Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #1647

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
“ it has had so much play for so that long the box is toast”. Based on who’s opinion as I find that hard to believe???
I have to agree I’ve never heard that it isn’t corrected with the proper adjustment. You may want to find a second opinion from a good truck shop
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSJMS View Post
AF Nomad, I was in the same situation 2 yrs ago. I had all the same questions. I purchased a rebuild kit for my M80 but ended up returning it based on lots of input. I went with a TRW. Very happy I did. Retrofit was not bad at all. I was able to get the matching arm from Weller. They are a great company to work with. The postings by CrazyKnight were valuable.
I would recommend that all templating be done specifically to your rig. Not hard to do. Good luck.
What was the # for the TRW steering gear did you use to replace your sheppard M80 and what was the pitman arm # ?
swillis659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #1649

Cost of Sheppard to TRW?

My Shepaprd M100 gear box started leaking on my 2001 Endeavor, and I want to replace it with a TRW TAS65. I live in FLA so Josam's in Orlando would be doable as a place to get it replaced. Anyone have an idea of the cost of this? Thanks
Rick Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #1650

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
My Shepaprd M100 gear box started leaking on my 2001 Endeavor, and I want to replace it with a TRW TAS65. I live in FLA so Josam's in Orlando would be doable as a place to get it replaced. Anyone have an idea of the cost of this? Thanks
Call Josam's and ask them. My guess is it will be north of $1000 but less than $2000. I did ours myself over 5 years ago and the parts were about $850. Josam's will add labor to that and the cost of parts my have gone up in the past 5 years.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #1651

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Call Josam's and ask them. My guess is it will be north of $1000 but less than $2000. I did ours myself over 5 years ago and the parts were about $850. Josam's will add labor to that and the cost of parts my have gone up in the past 5 years.

Bob
I’m guessing 4-5 hours at their labor rate and a 20-30% markup on the less than $1000.00 in parts.
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #1652

From what I have read the best alignment shop for a MH after the steering box.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering