Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #1737

Send a message via AIM to paulwhitaker
Steering, wandering. As read and experienced by many on here on Monaco coach’s my 2012 Monaco Knight had these issues. A trip to JoSams in Orlando Fl. And dealing with Barry we found a steering pump that was not up to spec’s replaced it. Still had problems so replaced gear box with a TRW which was adjustable. After that and one adjustment I’ve got a good driving motorhome that is a pleasure to drive and my wife is comfortable behind the. Wheel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 05:52 AM   #1738

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Before I finish the last 50 thread pages, was there ever a solution for the M80 replacement?

Sorry, just tired of digging and someone will know the short quick answer off the top of their head. A friend has a very leaky one and so is the only solution a rebuild?
Myron,

Then unfortunate answer is no. I, and Weller, are still looking in case there is an odd box out there.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:03 AM   #1739

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Another question for those of you that have swapped the box if siting with the engine not running and wheel strait ahead how much play do you have in the wheel?

i can easily move mine 3in if not more each way.
Most coaches I have been in, LOTS, after the swap have a little play. The first very small adjustment takes that out.

Now most owners I ask to show me the play "move" the wheel back and forth.
You GENTLY move the wheel from one direction to the other. There is a SMALL torsion rod in the gear that if you use ANY force it will do it's job.
I use two fingers to pinch the wheel to move it GENTLY.

I usually crawl under the coach and place my hands directly on the steering gear input shaft itself and GENTLY rock it. I, you, can feel the gear lash. I have found a few coaches with a worn drag link end, the threaded one, that the owner replaced. I would have to dig up the NAPA part number in my notes, again this is a rare occurrence as there are usually not enough miles on coaches to wear parts out. It is ALWAYS a good idea to check the condition of your ENTIRE steering gear and front end components condition.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #1740

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamesq View Post
Anyway to talk to Crazy Knight directly?
I was away visiting Grandchildren.
If you send me a PM I would be glad to talk with you directly.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 06-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #1741

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks ó I am wondering if I have play in the linkage from the steering wheel to the input shaft and I am starting to think yes with your description.

I hope to have a buddy come over today to look with me.

I can definitely move the wheel the way you describe 3 inches if not more. So now it could be universals. Do you have a part number for those.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #1742

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks — I am wondering if I have play in the linkage from the steering wheel to the input shaft and I am starting to think yes with your description.

I hope to have a buddy come over today to look with me.

I can definitely move the wheel the way you describe 3 inches if not more. So now it could be universals. Do you have a part number for those.
I will look back at my notes to see if I can find something that could help.

Also look at the steering wheel shaft slip yoke couplings. I have found a bunch of coaches that never greased the one under the plastic shroud at your knees inside the coach and also the one just outside the front firewall. There is usually a LITTLE play in the steering shaft and it is perfectly normal. NOT 3 inches normal, but a little "slop".

Let us know what you find. Just curious....coach milage?

GANG? If anyone with a similar coach knows feel free to chime in.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 06-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #1743
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the information Craig.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #1744

Monaco Owners Club
So did a bit of a test today reached in and grabbed the steering linkage from just above the input shaft. I was able to easily twist it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and could actually hear it tap on both side of that twist. This is with the wheels straight and the engine off.

I am thinking in addition to not getting the centering correct on the box/pitman arm they also did not even attempt to adjust the box after install and come to think of it I think they said they would not due to liability issues.

I have another shop that is going to take it all out and make sure itís all correct.

I looked also today at the drag link and it looks like it was never adjusted so my guess is they slapped it in and turned the wheel to get it to attach.

I even gave them the instructions on how to swap. I think this time when it goes in I will stick around and watch what is done. Or see of a buddy of mine will tackle it with me. But heís been busy on his coach.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #1745

Monaco Owners Club
I want to say thank you to everyone that is trying to help.

Right now I am running lower pressure in the drivers steering tire to help with the pulling but not the best solution.

Source said it could be bushings if my chassis was pre 2000 but I donít think it is the placard says 2001.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #1746

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Ok what is Source? Source Engineering?
Old 06-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #1747

Monaco Owners Club
Yes source engineering
Old 06-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #1748

Quote:
I am thinking in addition to not getting the centering correct on the box/pitman arm they also did not even attempt to adjust the box after install and come to think of it I think they said they would not due to liability issues.

Please remind us what steering box you have. Some are externally adjustable, some are not.

The Sheppard M100, for example has no external adjustment for play. Play can only be removed by "blueprinting" the steering box. Basically using bearings of very slightly different diameter to bring the play to within closer tolerances.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #1749

Monaco Owners Club
I now have a trw my entire adventure started with the swap.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #1750
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Ok what is Source? Source Engineering?
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

I have the fan kit, sway bars, air line check valves. Great company to work with.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering