Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #1821

Need to add

I forgot to mention how great it was dealing with Matt and Nick at Weller. Very helpful and good customer service. When core was ready to ship back I texted Nick and he had a driver at the house the same day. Just had to mention how easy these guys made the purchase. Thanks Weller!

Keepin it between the ditches
wirenut1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 11:08 PM   #1822

Did they take Sheppard core as trade rebuilt TRW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1241 View Post
I forgot to mention how great it was dealing with Matt and Nick at Weller. Very helpful and good customer service. When core was ready to ship back I texted Nick and he had a driver at the house the same day. Just had to mention how easy these guys made the purchase. Thanks Weller!

Keepin it between the ditches
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #1823

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1241 View Post
Got the TRW and pitman installed on the Diplomat. Took me a total of 20 hours
but was very slow, (I'm old). Due to this forum and it's members install went pretty smooth. The only part that was a bear to deal with was adjusting the drag link to match the pitman arm, that alone took 6 hours.

Had test drive tonight on the interstate with 25 mile an hour wind quartering from the left. As others have experienced the coach was easy to keep in my lane. Before I would have been sea sawing back and forth to control the motorhome. It now drives how I imagined it should have driven from the beginning.

Again, thanks to CrazyKnight, Vanwill for encouraging him and all other too many to list for their input and help to other Monaco owners. This is indeed a great community of caring Rv'ers.

Hope to meet some of you at Q sometime in the future.

Keepin it between the ditches!

WELL DONE!! I know those installations are not "easy". BIG and HEAVY Plus the old stuff is always frozen up.

You are most welcome! GREAT NEWS!!!

SWAP ON!! (if you want too)

Safe travels.....enjoy the "new" drive.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #1824

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Did they take Sheppard core as trade rebuilt TRW.
Yes, they always do. Our steering gears usually have very little wear and are easy for them to rebuild. Some of our Sheppards are very popular in other arenas. Great steering gears they just do not fit our application well.

GREAT to hear the guys at Weller are still just as GREAT as when we started this journey with them.

CHEERS!!
Old 04-19-2023, 02:59 PM   #1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
THE FIX.....or at least your options...YOU decide...I am just passing along what I have learned in the last month.

If you happen to have a Sheppard box with a good amount of play, that is up to you, then you have you have options.

1. Have the Sheppard shimmed. I have talked to Weller truck parts and they said they can make it really tight but due to the design it will never be a tight as a TRW...WHAT this TECH agreed with me. Have Redhead do it on the West coast as I have heard here they have had great success. I was going to use Weller because they have an outlet here in Atlanta. I moved here from ABQ.

2. Explore the possibility of a TRW Steering Box swap.
Just a heads up Sheppard and TRW will NOT talk to you about it, LIABILITY !
The tech I talked to said he would help, and help he did !

HERE is the kicker. Having a Sheppard shimmed cost about $550, no labor for me so I can not guess there, a shop told me $1000 to do it all once long ago.

It is $565 to purchase a rebuilt TRW and they will take my Sheppard as a core.
Purchase a good used pitman arm, they do no use the same ones., for a $175 , 4 new mounting bolts due to length, the TRW box has longer and thicker bolt boxes, and 2 quarts of steering fluid. So about $225 for the SWAP.

I found a TRW TAS 65, you know just like Monaco used, that was a DIRECT bolt on SWAP !
It is in my coach right now, it took me all of an hour to have the Sheppard box laying at my feet. I am just waiting for a pitman arm to index on to the TRW, will be here Monday and I should have a road test out this week. I will post it.

I HAD a Sheppard M100 Model # HD94PQ31 and now I have a TRW TAS65 66003.

I have lots of other information to post so...here is a few pics while I run and get a fresh "cold one"

The yard I looked around in.
My Mount and Box set up.
The PLAYFUL box out of my coach.
HelloÖ
I just retired and yesterday I purchased a 2005 Monaco Cayman in Houston Tx and bearly made it to Katy Tx about 26 miles from Houston ..😂 my steering box started leaking like crazy so Iím stranded.
Learning trough your posts and so
Does anybody knows the TRW MODEL TO SWAP FOR SHEPPARD MODEL M100PPN34?
Found a place in Houston that will rebuild my Sheppard but after reading what you guys posted I rather put a TRW.
Thank you for any help
raymundo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:50 AM   #1826

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymundo57 View Post
HelloÖ
I just retired and yesterday I purchased a 2005 Monaco Cayman in Houston Tx and bearly made it to Katy Tx about 26 miles from Houston ..😂 my steering box started leaking like crazy so Iím stranded.
Learning trough your posts and so
Does anybody knows the TRW MODEL TO SWAP FOR SHEPPARD MODEL M100PPN34?
Found a place in Houston that will rebuild my Sheppard but after reading what you guys posted I rather put a TRW.
Thank you for any help

Call:

Weller Truck Parts Contact Info.

1-616-724-3762
John VanLaan
Team Leader Assistant
Steering Dept.
Weller Truck Parts
jvanlaan@wellertruck.com
Old 04-29-2023, 03:52 PM   #1827

So I had my wandering loose Sheppard M100 replaced yesterday for the TRW at Josam in Orlando. Really good bunch of people to work with. We rode with Berry on the test drive then came back to the shop where the tech pulled the steering wheel to set it straight. Berry told me to take it out on the turnpike and go for a ride and see what I thought, we went about 20 miles and returned. I advised Berry no adjustment was needed it drove excellent. Okay here is my problem I live in North Florida 3 and half ours away from Orlando so we drove back home Friday evening, upon turning in at my driveway gate I couldn't make the left turn like I have always been able to do, I had to back up and make another attempt which worked. So I now have 1 and half turns to the left and 2 and half turns to the right on the steering wheel. Josam was closed for the weekend so I want be able to talk to Berry until Monday. Other than that I really like the TRW.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:10 AM   #1828

Try steering

I am sorry to tell you this but , they did not install the trw right
It is off center. Also you will never get the full benifit of the change. The gears are designed to be at close tolerance at top dead center and more play off center .
Clement 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:01 PM   #1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement 2003 View Post
It is off center. Also you will never get the full benifit of the change. The gears are designed to be at close tolerance at top dead center and more play off center .
I was thinking it must be something with the install. Guess I'll be driving 3.5 hours back to Josam.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #1830

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I was thinking it must be something with the install. Guess I'll be driving 3.5 hours back to Josam.
WAIT !!!

It is unlikely that Josams installed it incorrectly, it can happen but...

YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR TRW POPPET SETTINGS!! VERY COMMON ISSUE!!

BEFORE making a 3.5 hour drive.

Run the front jack down enough to take 80 percent or more of the weight off of the front tires. Turn the wheel all the way to the left, apply a little pressure on the wheel, and HOLD IT THERE for 3 seconds. TURN the wheel all the way to the right and repeat the same procedure. Do it twice if necessary.

THEN see how many turns each direction you can make. You can do it while still on the jack or better yet take it for a test drive.

If this does not fix the problem, call Barry at Josams.

CHEERS!!

Craig
Old 04-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #1831

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement 2003 View Post
There are MANY factors at play, lets' not sink the boat just yet.

A incorrect installation can happen. Josam's has installed quite a few TRW's.

There are a few things you can check and try yourself to insure the TRW was installed correctly, EASY driveway checks! After and ONLY after those checks would I contact the shop, any shop, not just Josam's

I was in Josam's service bay a few months ago having my new rig 4 wheel aligned. I drove 3 hours out of my way to have it done there...for a reason, they know their stuff.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
WAIT !!!

It is unlikely that Josams installed it incorrectly, it can happen but...

YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR TRW POPPET SETTINGS!! VERY COMMON ISSUE!!

BEFORE making a 3.5 hour drive.

Run the front jack down enough to take 80 percent or more of the weight off of the front tires. Turn the wheel all the way to the left, apply a little pressure on the wheel, and HOLD IT THERE for 3 seconds. TURN the wheel all the way to the right and repeat the same procedure. Do it twice if necessary.

THEN see how many turns each direction you can make. You can do it while still on the jack or better yet take it for a test drive.

If this does not fix the problem, call Barry at Josams.

CHEERS!!

Craig
I spoke with Barry this morning he was puzzled for sure because he is the one who did the initial test drive and I was with him. But he said for me to bring it back, but I said if it's a matter of poppet setting I can jack it up and do that. I have air leveling only so I will have to go under with a jack. But my wife and I was in the coach the whole time during the installation and never can we remember the tech coming in and turning the wheel to set the poppets, but he could have we were on our phones quite often doing business.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:24 AM   #1833

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I spoke with Barry this morning he was puzzled for sure because he is the one who did the initial test drive and I was with him. But he said for me to bring it back, but I said if it's a matter of poppet setting I can jack it up and do that. I have air leveling only so I will have to go under with a jack. But my wife and I was in the coach the whole time during the installation and never can we remember the tech coming in and turning the wheel to set the poppets, but he could have we were on our phones quite often doing business.

It is an easy procedure and does not hurt to try before making a long drive, to and from Barry's shop.

I have found it much easier to set the poppets with almost no weight on the front tires. It can be done on gravel or a surface that is really loose, it just takes more wheel effort. Again much easier and precise with most of the weight off the front wheels.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers!!

Craig
Old 05-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #1834

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Curious does Josams allow you to stay in your MH the night before your appointment?

Tags
steering