Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Been following this thread since the beginning as well as the other thread on wandering.

I have a 2008 Camelot tag axle. So, did not think much applied to me! I thought I had the Sheppard box from some seminars I had been to. In either this thread or the other, someone talked about the steering box being on the build sheet. Looked it up, I have a TRW. Perhaps I could fix my wandering problem after all. Found this on the internet from TRW.

Did the adjustment, so much better. Thanks to all in both threads for keeping these at the top and keeping everyone thinking.
Be glad you have the TRW !

Thank you for the video !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Our 07 Camelot has a TRW steering gear box # TAS 65187-A -- I`m kinda disappointed -- Thought I was gonna get to spend $800.00 on a new box -- Oh well, maybe I`ll get to spend that money on some other "upgrade" -- The video is intresting -- Maybe I can get Harry Martin (happycarz) to come over & adjust mine -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Our 07 Camelot has a TRW steering gear box # TAS 65187-A -- I`m kinda disappointed -- Thought I was gonna get to spend $800.00 on a new box -- Oh well, maybe I`ll get to spend that money on some other "upgrade" -- The video is intresting -- Maybe I can get Harry Martin (happycarz) to come over & adjust mine -- William Willard
WW,

You make me laugh. I think Harry would be happy to check your TRW considering he has the same box. :-)

HARRY ?

Thanks for the TRW and Coach info William.

Craig
Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #60
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Just have cookies ready, he does't work cheap.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #61
YC1

Step by step would be terrific. That and a cross reference sheet for the box and pitman arm. The only step that is a bit foggy for me at this time is the centering of the swing arm but I suspect with parts in hand it would be clear.

How difficult is it to get the mounting bolts out? Will a 1/2 inch breaker bar work?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Step by step would be terrific. That and a cross reference sheet for the box and pitman arm. The only step that is a bit foggy for me at this time is the centering of the swing arm but I suspect with parts in hand it would be clear.

How difficult is it to get the mounting bolts out? Will a 1/2 inch breaker bar work?
Let me take some pictures in the morning of the Sheppard box on the bench for center reference and the plywood jig has some new marks on it for center for Sheppard and the TRW and then I will photo post all of it and then GO.

Yes 1/2 breaker bar will do it with a little umph.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
JUST AN FYI

The next most popular box it seems is the Sheppard PPN31 so tomorrow morning also I will email and then later call my master tech and see if he can hit another home run with a bolt pattern match on a TRW TAS65.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
JUST AN FYI

The next most popular box it seems is the Sheppard PPN31 so tomorrow morning also I will email and then later call my master tech and see if he can hit another home run with a bolt pattern match on a TRW TAS65.

I'm so fed up with my loose PPN31 that I would trade my HR for a MH with a TRW steering gear if I could afford it. I can't, so I have high hopes that there is an easy swap out there.
Thank you so much for your hard work, skills and knowledge.

2005 HR 36' ISC 330,
2006 Saturn Vue
Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Don't bug me. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up.

By the way, ginger snaps would be just fine.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #66
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Don't bug me. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up.

By the way, ginger snaps would be just fine.
Yep, me too. It is brisk here in the Sacramento Valley.

So, took a trip to DeMartini in Grass Valley Calif today to help my brother pick out his retirement vehicle.

Everyone I stepped in the steering wheel was given a quick turn to test for slack. Sure enough, all of the HR and Monacos had the slop. Freightliners were solid as a rock. Had a bit of a discussion with one of the persons in the know and he indicated he too had the niggling bit of wandering on is personal rv. I encouraged him to look us up here and gave him the address on a note pad. I believe he did take it and put it on his desk.

Sure would be nice to add cross braces and a new steering box and have these things behave as they should. I sure hope Monaco pays attention to this thread because they really are missing the boat putting the existing steering boxes in.

While there I also told him of their excellent reputation on this RV forum. No pressure from these folks and they really know their stuff.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Craig,

Here are some pictures of my Sheppard M100 PPN31. From comparison to your pictures, looks like the bolt pattern is different than your old one. Other than that, the configuration looks the same.

Coach: 2007 Diplomat 38PDQ.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_102637.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	67790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_102507.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	67791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_102233.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	67792   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140713_101915.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	67793  

Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #68

Craig, I have the PPN-31 on my 06 Diplomat. I have "Very" Little slop maybe .5 or less, but after following in your write up I think I will make the swap if your contact can match the bolt pattern. From looking at my box I see that one of the hose connections has a damp spot around it and some staining on the hose. So maybe it was a good time to look at it so closely.

On another note Julie and I went out for a weekender at High Falls State Park and the whole way down and back I began to notice the slop, I had never really thought about it until reading your thread. Now it will drive me crazy until I change it out.

George
Old 07-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Craig, I have the PPN-31 on my 06 Diplomat. I have "Very" Little slop maybe .5 or less, but after following in your write up I think I will make the swap if your contact can match the bolt pattern. From looking at my box I see that one of the hose connections has a damp spot around it and some staining on the hose. So maybe it was a good time to look at it so closely.

On another note Julie and I went out for a weekender at High Falls State Park and the whole way down and back I began to notice the slop, I had never really thought about it until reading your thread. Now it will drive me crazy until I change it out.

George
George,

My 06 Diplomat has the same indication of a slight leak near one of the hose fittings on the steering box. I noticed it about a year ago and have been keeping a close eye on it. I have never found any fluid on the concrete pad at home where we park it.

We also have very little slop in our Sheppard and I did not even notice it until we added the Van Crossbars. Now the coach handles so well the slop is noticeable.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Yep, me too. It is brisk here in the Sacramento Valley.

So, took a trip to DeMartini in Grass Valley Calif today to help my brother pick out his retirement vehicle.

Everyone I stepped in the steering wheel was given a quick turn to test for slack. Sure enough, all of the HR and Monacos had the slop. Freightliners were solid as a rock. Had a bit of a discussion with one of the persons in the know and he indicated he too had the niggling bit of wandering on is personal rv. I encouraged him to look us up here and gave him the address on a note pad. I believe he did take it and put it on his desk.

Sure would be nice to add cross braces and a new steering box and have these things behave as they should. I sure hope Monaco pays attention to this thread because they really are missing the boat putting the existing steering boxes in.

While there I also told him of their excellent reputation on this RV forum. No pressure from these folks and they really know their stuff.
I am glad you grabbed the wheel of the other coaches.

The FIRST thing Van did when he got in my coach this last week was grab the wheel and give it a tug, he turned around and looked at me and smiled.

I sure would love to know why Monaco and HR chose the Sheppard over the TRW, and yes with a rear cross brace system your driving experience is so much improved and I even told my tech contact I feel my coach is SAFER to drive in this configuration.

Van and I discussed the steering box play and cross brace effect on longer coaches VS shorter, less than 40', and we both think the longer wheel base of the 40' coaches seems to dampen the effect of the play due to the longer moment.

NOW that being said I have already been in contact with a 40' coach owner who has the lovely 1.5 "playful" Shepard and he HATES it. Maybe the 40' er's with a little play seem better. Keep the input coming please...MORE INPUT !

Yes I am sorry that I made you all concentrate on the Sheppard steering box play in your coaches...MY BAD !

I hope the coming week holds some good news for more "playful" Sheppard owners....I am working on it.

Craig

Tags
steering