Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to jump in on this one. I first added the Safe-T-Plus to my coach at a cost of $500.00 dollars plus bracket. I used it on several trips and found the same thing as Bob did. It required more strength to steer the coach straight down the road. I drive with my left arm on the arm rest and hold the wheel with my left hand. I throttle up and down via the SmartWheel cruise control. With the addition of the Safe-T-Plus, it was really giving me my arm a workout and was uncomfortable. I didn't have any real steering issues, but thought the Safe-T-Plus would tighten things up a little and give me blowout protection. For me, the extra steering effort wasn't worth it.

Since we live out west, a lot of our driving is through the desert and we're constantly hitting wind that forces you to do a lot of prolonged counter steering. Just before our big trip back east last month, I was lucky enough to sell the Safe-T-Plus to a friend for $300.00 and bought a TruCenter and bracket. I unfortunately found out that the bracket that mounts the Safe-T-Plus and the TruCenter are the same, after I included the bracket with the Safe-T-Plus sale.

I literally mounted the TruCenter the day before I left. I was able to prewire the unit before I even received it thanks to info from "Nodine" and "Dr4Film". I only had to install the unit and the timer when it arrived.

I find that the TruCenter doesn't cause the extra steering force that I disliked about the Safe-T-Plus. I now have the blow out protection and the steering assist in the wind and on crowned roads. Some had mentioned that they thought it might require a lot of adjustment. I found over our 6300 mile trip that adjustments often worked for hours because the road was designed with the same crown for quite a distance. Even in the wind, it only required occasional adjustment. It became second nature to just adjust when conditions change.

I don't think the Safe-T-Plus is a bad product. It allows you to buy the shock and then later add the steering element, giving you choices and the ability to split up the expense. I just didn't like the pressure it exerted.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #30

I used Steer Safe on an 89 P30 chassis and liked it so when I got my F53 chassis I purchased Steer Safe. They have improved quite a bit in almost 25 years. Steering does seem a little tighter but I like the feel. Wind doesn't push me around as much. However, it is a new coach and I added the rear track bar, Roadmaster rear anti-sway, and CHF at the same time. Don't really know which is helping the most.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
We had the Safe-T-Plus put on our coach when we purchased it. (Blue Ox said they didn't have a Tru Center setup for our Diplomat. Kind of think someone didn't check things out properly at Blue Ox)

We recently added the trim kit and while I have only driven a couple of hundred miles I will say the trim kit makes it way easier to drive and takes less effort than without.
Just being able to adjust where center is makes it a whole lot easier on the arms.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering