Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #1

Steering Help

Ok Monaco Wizards..Need some help/ideas.. We have had our 2007 Diplomat 38PDQ for almost 4 yrs. I had no idea about the steering struggles of this yr of coach until I stumbled onto this site. This thing has been a beast to drive.

I have done the following upgrades:

TRW steering gear
Safe-T-Plus
Front X-brace
Air bag flow restrictors
Brillstein shocks
New TOYO M154
New Alignment.

It is a constant correction of the steering wheel going down the road. I feel like I have been drinking and am just trying to keep it in my lane..I know they can be a beast, but there is no way this in normal. There are too many big class Aís out there for them to all to drive this way.

Is there anything else I can do??..I have had it to Freightliner and they tell me it drives as it should(this was before the upgrades), then took it to Hendersonís Line-up it have most of the upgrades done. Still drives like crap. Need some help/ideas for what to do or look for, if I canít get it addressed I am going to give up and sell her off. We donít want to do this because we love glamping in her. But canít continue this way.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Scot B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #2

Koni fsd shocks are considered a better ride. Don't know if they would help your problem at all. It sounds as if you are oversteering at each correction . Try and slow your arm movement down and if possible look a little further ahead. I notice I have more of the same struggles the more tired I am.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #3

May I ask what tire's are mounted on the front???
Old 06-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Steering Help

Scott

You could have bad bushings. Your lucky you have some experts very close to you, relative to me.

Source engineering http://sourcerv.com I believe those guys , even if they canít fix it, will tell you what you need.

458-207-9442
25375 Loten Way
Veneta, OR 97487
Old 06-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #5

From what I have learned and done to my ‘05 Windsor, I think a rear x-brace works much better than front because our coaches tend to have Tail-wag, not headwag.
The TRW was a good move, if adjusted correctly, but the front Watts unit along with rear X-brace might solve your problem. I did it with good improvement. I don’t think the shocks or tires make a big difference on drive handling, but the steering unit can cause problems. Check out this link (and talk to Mike Hughes at this company):
https://monacowatts.com/
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try disconnecting the Safety Plus and take it for a test drive. You may be surprised.

If you still need more, then a Monaco Watts link on the rear will help a lot.
https://www.monacowatts.com/
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Very few coaches can accept the front X bars. Only other coach I ever saw was Mike Hughes's. Monaco watts doesn't even market/stock that because it's fairly rare. www.monacowatts.com

I'm with others that mention
1. disconnect STP and try without it.
2. Consider the rear X bracing, rear monaco watts, front monaco watts, in that order. Install them individually, then drive the coach, and you will see an improvement as each one is added. That's the way I did it and really could tell the difference.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Has the TRW been adjusted properly?
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #9

Toyo M154
Old 06-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #10

Has the TRW been adjusted properly??

It was installed by Henderson's, so I assume so
Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #11

Have you set the front tires to the recommended inflation based on weight, not sidewall number?? Just looking for cheap solutions.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 AM   #12

Update correction:
I miss spoke, it's not a front X-brace it's a front Watts link that was installed
Old 06-22-2021, 04:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Have you set the front tires to the recommended inflation based on weight, not sidewall number?? Just looking for cheap solutions.
Yes, air pressure was set by weight of coach. Was educated about that when it was at Henderson's.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot B. View Post
Update correction:
I miss spoke, it's not a front X-brace it's a front Watts link that was installed
Two things that you need to check.

1. Make sure the front Watts link is installed correctly and is one from Mike at www.monacowatts.com. Mike is a great guy and will help if you call him. The slightest movement in the Watts link components will affect the handling. Been there, done that.

2. I know you say Hendersons installed the TRW and made the adjustments but I would go over the adjustments of the TRW. It is critical that the TRW only be adjusted when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead and that the witness marks on the TRW are aligned when the wheels are pointing straight ahead. The most common mistake when swapping out the Shepard for the TRW is folks align the witness marks, adjust the TRW, and then discover that the drag link will not go back on without moving the steering wheel. THIS IS THE WRONG THING TO DO. I cannot emphasize this enough. If the drag link will not go back on without moving the steering wheel after adjusting the TRW then you MUST adjust the tie rod end on the drag link to allow it to slip back on the Pitman arm without moving the steering wheel even a 1/16 of an inch. NO JOKE. The TRW is machined with a crown on the gear that coincides with the witness marks. If your wheels are pointing straight ahead and the TRW is adjusted correctly you will be on that high spot and there will not be any dead motion in the steering. As soon as you move the steering wheel right or left it will move off of that high spot and there will be play but you will not notice it because you are applying force to the gears because you are in a turn. If you adjust the TRW correctly for no dead motion but then you move the steering wheel to get the drag link to attach to the Pitman arm you just put dead motion in the steering. When the wheels are pointing straight ahead you now will feel the dead motion and have latency in the steering.

PS If it were me I would ditch that Safe-T-Plus. We had a TruCenter on our 2006 Diplomat that we finally had to take off because it was casing a handling issue. If you are worried about front tire blowouts then install Tyron bands.
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering