Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Step Cover Stopped Working..Please Help

2006 Monaco, Caymon, Diesel. The step cover motor is stuck closed, can't see a way to get to the motor. I can hear the moto click so I assume the motor is locked up.
The generator is located directly under it, I was hoping to find a way to remove mounting screws and slide the whole assy out. It looks like the only way to it, is to cut the floor out of the cockpit, then re-floor afterwards. Any other suggestions??
Art Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Art.....I went out and looked at mine. The front carpeted panel is held on with two screws under the carpet. There is a piece of angled aluminum screwed to the top of the step and protrudes down the front to the carpeted piece you can see when standing outside looking in. The two screws are about a foot apart and a couple of inches down from the top of the step.

Here are some photos I took....This is the front of the step

This is the back side....you can see the two screws. You need to locate them through the carpet and remove them. This will allow you to remove the front piece and access the mechanism
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2009 Camelot the slide quit working. The motor would run, but it would just click and not move. Turns out that there is a plastic nut that travels a screw rod, and a yoke that holds the nut and moves the step out. There are two pins that holds the yoke on to the nut. This came loose and would no longer hold, the yoke would just pop off. As a result, the nut would turn and it would just click with no step movement. I used a tie wrap to keep it in place and now it works fine. I can send you a picture to help explain if you like.

-- John

Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
John,
If you would, add me as well when you send the photo. I know that sooner or later I will probably have the same issue since the slide does make some strange noises. It sure would be nice to have that knowledge in the back pocket when it happens. And Don, thanks for your photos as well that you posted.
Thanks,
Dick
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

Hi, we have a Cayman as well and same thing happened to us. Monaco was not of any help except to say that we should pull/push and otherwise try to jiggle it loose.
Solved the problem by locking a pair of visegrips on the wormshaft retaining collar (has a pin through it) and turning counter clockwise. This loosened the step and the motor could again move it. - see attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3702.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1522  
rcsoarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Welcome nkwazi!

...Welcome nkwazi! Good Job! It is not too often that someone's first post is so helpful...so you so get a "gold star"
I want to welcome you to iRV2 and the Monaco Forum. I am glad to see that you are not afraid to jump right in when you know you can help.

Again-welcome...we hope you visit & post often!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone got this issue fixed? My step cover will not go out. I can hear the motor trying to move the step but it will not move out. Even when I pull on it it won't move.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got mine fixed. It seems the white plugs that Monaco and others used to connect DC equipment all have the same issue. The male end of this plug has pins that are split down the middle. If you take a small screw driver and push it into the split, spreading it a little it makes better contact. I have done this on several plugs when things have stopped working. Power seat, cameras, step cover, steps, water pump, and sanicon system. Not all on the same coach but on several.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
me too

this is all good info. we have a problem with our step cover too. Lazydays has replaced the motor once under warranty and we have to take it back this week to have the motor replaced again. I am going to watch this time and try and see what the real problem is. Will let you all know what I learn
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #10

Two years ago, the step cover on our 2007 Monaco Dynasty closed and then would not open. Monaco technicians were unable to help. An RV service facility in Las Cruces, New Mexico discovered (after considerable checking) that the motor that retracts the step cover was not grounded. They ran a new ground wire and it has worked well ever since.
WanderBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

The step cover on my 07 Camelot also would not come out. When pushing the switch, you could hear the motor clicking, but no movement. With the step cover stuck in, it's almost impossible to get to the mechanism and motor under the floor. I forcibly pulled the step cover out, which popped the 2 arms off the pins on either side. With the cover now out, I was able to unscrew the carpeted wood cover from underneath, and remove it completely. With a vice grip, I was able to turn the screw shaft in a counterclockwise direction, which unfroze the motor. With the step cover all the way in, there are two white plastic bushings on the end of the screw shaft near the motor, that essentially froze against each other. With the vise grips, I moved the bushings apart, sprayed a good dose of WD40 on them, and when put back together, it works like it did before freezing up.
Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Very easy fix. Just had to get the two flat pieces of steel back onto the nylon covered pivot parts that lifts the cover when it comes out to the end. Probably just rattles loose every once in a while. You can do this repair yourself and save a lot of money.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don,
I have been having the same issue with my 06 HR Endeavor step cover as stated before in this thread. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. I got it out this morning by just wiggling the cover a little and it started working and I got it out. When looking under the cover I see all the same things you have in your pictures. I don't see anything that appears loose or undone. Mine seems like it is a loose ground or a loose wire or something like that. There is no way to get to the motor that I can tell, it is way up at the end of the enclosure. Someone was talking about a relay in the compartment under the driver, I can't find any relay there for mine. Any other ideas would be helpful I hope.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Art.....I went out and looked at mine. The front carpeted panel is held on with two screws under the carpet. There is a piece of angled aluminum screwed to the top of the step and protrudes down the front to the carpeted piece you can see when standing outside looking in. The two screws are about a foot apart and a couple of inches down from the top of the step.

Here are some photos I took....This is the front of the step

This is the back side....you can see the two screws. You need to locate them through the carpet and remove them. This will allow you to remove the front piece and access the mechanism
Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Cover Screws

I have the same problems with the step cover. I can't find the two screw to remove cover. Did you have to cut the carpet to access the screws?
Kenbob is offline   Reply With Quote