Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Still still working on buying 2005 Monaco Signature. Now cruise control issue.

On the 20th it'll be 3 months since we left our deposit. Must say thanks again for all the help and advice we have gotten on this forum. Its a major project to buy this big 16 year old diesel.

The issues the dealer has been working on are getting resolved except for the cruise control. This morning the salesman told me "It looks like we may not be able to fix the cruise control." What should we do? Is that a deal breaker? Having cruise control on a long trip is something you don't want to give up easily.

Does anyone know a good repair place in this area (South Carolina) or anywhere in the east? What should I ask the dealer to compensate if I do pick up the motor home and they haven't repaired it? I told the salesman that would be something we'd have to get fixed and it would be an expense.

Thanks again for any suggestions and insight.
artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely, the problem is a broken clock spring in the steering wheel. It's an easy replacement, but not cheap.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #3

Did they give a reason why it can't be repaired?

Is it beyond their capabilities, or is it due to obsolete parts?

I can't imagine it isn't repairable - with the collective brain-trust of this forum, I'm sure someone will have it figured out in no time !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

On a purchase that size I would ask for $1500 to $2,000 off and be on my way, you should be able to get it repaired for that amount.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

The cruise is tied to a number of different systems, so it can be difficult to troubleshoot.

On my coach, we have the VORAD system, and it's tied to the cruise. It's also tied into the engine brake system (cruise and engine brake can't be active at the same time and are mutually exclusive).

It could be in the smart wheel/clock spring mechanism, as well as the wiring/connections for them which are notorious for being pulled loose when the wheel is tilted (the harness catches on a bolt in the steering column at the pivot).

If you have the VORAD, then you'll probably want a shop that deals with Monacos specifically, and a truck shop won't have a clue about that system. If you do not have VORAD, a decent truck shop should be able to troubleshoot it. I can't recommend a shop in SC, but Elkhart Sales and Service in Elkhart IN, REV RV Service in Coburg OR, or Oregon Motorcoach in Eugene OR might be able to help. Both the OR locations I mentioned have a lot of techs that worked on Monacos when they were built in Coburg. They are the best folks to use when it comes to Monaco-specific issues as they know them better than anyone. Not exactly close to you in SC, but if all else fails you, try them.
AllenIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Allen covered it well. It's probably either the engine Jake brake is on, or the Eaton Vorad Smart Cruise is malfunctioning.

Your coach will have a J1939 port under the steering wheel. If they plug a heavy diesel code reader into it you can read and reset the codes for the cruise control.

You need to know if your coach has Eaton Vorad Smart Cruise? For Eaton Vorad faults, follow the procedure below. I tracked down the original Eaton Vorad integration engineer. Rick Youngblood can update you electronic control unit when you are ready.
1. To activate Failure Display Mode, press in and hold the Driver Display Unit “VOLUME” knob while turning the key on.
Note: For software versions 013 or higher, hold “VOLUME” knob in for 8 seconds.
2. Wait until the Driver Display Unit’s red “FAIL” indicator light begins flashing two-digit fault
codes and release the volume knob. If no fault codes are found, the Driver Display Unit will
flash a code 41. At the conclusion of flashing the fault codes, the system will flash a code 41.
3. To read active fault codes - Position the Driver Display Unit “RANGE” knob to the left of center
and only active codes will be sent to the “FAIL” indicator light.
4. To read inactive fault codes - Position the Driver Display Unit “RANGE” knob to the right of
center and only inactive codes will be sent to the “FAIL” indicator light.
5. Observe the sequence of flashes on the indicator lamp and record the codes. A one to two
second pause separates each stored code, and at the conclusion of flashing the fault codes,
the system will flash a code 41. The sequence automatically repeats after all codes have been
flashed.

I have the entire Eaton Vorad trouble shooting manual, but it exceeds 3Mb. If anyone needs it, send me a private message with your email and I can email it to you.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Thanks all for replying and giving me all this information. I relayed everything to the dealer and he replied that it was helpful - which I hope means they got things working. Hopefully will have a follow up .

There were some cruise control service papers in a folder from the original owner. He had a problem way back in 2005 and the fix was resetting codes.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
Thanks all for replying and giving me all this information. I relayed everything to the dealer and he replied that it was helpful - which I hope means they got things working. Hopefully will have a follow up .

There were some cruise control service papers in a folder from the original owner. He had a problem way back in 2005 and the fix was resetting codes.
Does it have VORAD ???????????????????????????
Old 03-12-2021, 07:18 AM   #9

Cruise

Also could be as simple as brake light bulbs burnt out. Our 04 cruise wouldn’t work if bulb wasn’t burnt out. Good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Presumably the dealer has checked out the simple things like brake light switch or brake light bulbs. Also check if the engine brake is working properly as that may affect the cruise. You can check that they did this.

It could be the clock spring, as Chet said. That's the most likely possibility if brake lights are working correctly and if you do not have the Vorad. Repair is less complex than dealing with the Eaton Vorad Smart Cruise.

If the clock spring is suspect there could be other symptoms as well which would point to that as a possibility: Horn, Turn Signals, etc... pretty much anything controlled on the steering column or smart wheel. Clock spring replacement is tricky but doable. Unlike the ones in new cars you don't need to worry about an airbag hitting you in the face :-).

I did mine a few months back; my part# is DAC-1900043, which is probably the same for Monacos on the "S" chassis.

If you do have the Vorad, following Vito's instructions should tell you if that system has a fault.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #11

Yes, it has vorad

Tags
buying, cruise control, monaco