Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Still working on '05 Signature purchase

We are still working on purchase of the Monaco Signature Conquest 2005 here in SC. A month since we put down a deposit, fortunately not a huge sum. There is some problem with the air suspension system and I guess it's just as well that the dealer is serious about getting it fixed rather than just letting us drive off with it.

We have a long list of "to be checked" items that we gave the dealer based on all the great advice from forum members on my previous post. Thank you again to everyone.

So, while they are working on that air leak, there is one other stand out issue that I am not sure the dealer understands and it's a safety issue that has to be fixed:. The driver side window and the door glass are fogged up. Salesman said those windows are gas filled. Is that true? I have been googling around and have seen forum replies about whether those are gas filled and now I kind of doubt it. If they are not gas filled, why can't they be replaced with normal auto glass?

Thanks for any help and experience!
artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

If those are dual pane windows, can they be replaced with single pane so the problem doesn't happen again? We are never using the the coach in extreme temperatures so I don't see why "thermal efficiency" would be a bigger concern than getting rid of a problem once and for all.
artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fogged windows are pretty common. You can opt to have it repaired at a shop that specializes in this or fix it yourself.

The fog is the result of the seal failing and condensation developing between the panes of glass. If this has happened, over a period of time the condensation can etch the glass making it impossible to clean. It the glass is not etched the window can be repaired by separating it apart, cleaning, installing a desiccant seal and then sealing with a caulk.

This happened to my drivers side window and I repaired myself about 5 years ago and they still look good. Cost was less then $100 and I did 3 windows.

Since you are buying this from a dealer I would have them repair.

If there is a shop near them it and cost ~$250/window if it just has to be removed, separated, cleaned and reassembled. More if new glass is required.

The dealer should know what the problem and solution is.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This is a common issue with age for these coaches. Our driver's window is starting to fog now as well. These are dual pane windows, and as they age the seals between the windows start to go bad and moisture gets in between the panes.

This is a totally repairable item, and there are a few very good companies around that specifically deal with this issue.

We haven't used this company ourselves yet, but I've heard a lot of good feedback on here about RV Glass Guru out of Phoenix, AZ. I know there are a few other companies around, I'm sure someone with experience will chime in with other options. Most of these companies will even come to your campsite to make the repair, takes maybe an hour or 2.

All the best!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
If those are dual pane windows, can they be replaced with single pane so the problem doesn't happen again? We are never using the the coach in extreme temperatures so I don't see why "thermal efficiency" would be a bigger concern than getting rid of a problem once and for all.
I don't think you necessarily need to be in "extreme temperatures" to enjoy the benefits of dual pane windows. There is a significant amount of glass area at the front of these coaches and in direct sunlight you will be surprised how much heat can be transmitted in, even if ambient temps outside aren't crazy.

The choice is up to you, I doubt the cost difference between the two repair options is significant. In fact it might take quite a bit of frame modification to go with a single pane, so might not even be cheaper. Repair a dual pane and should be good for another 15 years of life.

Our coach turns 20 years old this year, out of the 9 dual pane windows we have just the 1 has fogged so far.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our drivers side window was so fogged up I thought it was dangerous. We took it to RV Glass solutions in Phoenix. They have several other locations around the country.
I asked for the single pane glass, but due to some confusion received dual pane.
They resealed it much better than original and it has held up well.

The R Factor for dual pane glass it is so small it's almost not worth discussing. And the entire windshield is laminated glass.
If our side window fogs up again I will go with the single pane.
RV Glass Solutions web site: https://www.rvglassexperts.com/blog/...-side-windows/
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I like dual pane as it mostly eliminates condensation collecting on the inside of the coach window and running down onto whatever is below it. When I open the shades in the morning the windshield is covered with condensation but the dual pane windows are not. It also helps with noise. Auto Glass Boss did a couple of mine with good results.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Not filled with gas and many in the SE go to Suncoast Designs in Hudson FL to have them repaired...$300+\- if the glass has not etched. They may have the correct tempered has in stock if the glass has to be replaced. They have hookups for 15 RVs and start work at 6:30...arrive the day before your appointment and takes about 24 hours. I’d call them (727-868-2773) and it’s a good reason to head to Fla this winter... have the dealer take $750 off the price.

Enough Canadians have stayed home so finding sites even last minute should not be a problem and the weathers great.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We are still working on purchase of the Monaco Signature Conquest 2005 here in SC. A month since we put down a deposit, fortunately not a huge sum. There is some problem with the air suspension system and I guess it's just as well that the dealer is serious about getting it fixed rather than just letting us drive off with it.

We have a long list of "to be checked" items that we gave the dealer based on all the great advice from forum members on my previous post. Thank you again to everyone.

So, while they are working on that air leak, there is one other stand out issue that I am not sure the dealer understands and it's a safety issue that has to be fixed:. The driver side window and the door glass are fogged up. Salesman said those windows are gas filled. Is that true? I have been googling around and have seen forum replies about whether those are gas filled and now I kind of doubt it. If they are not gas filled, why can't they be replaced with normal auto glass?

Glad the dealer is "stepping up" for you and getting things done... if ever so slowly. The 'gas' in between the window panes is most likely just air, unless the glass has been done before by someone who uses nitrogen. There are a few glass places around which you can mention to your dealer. Whether you go with single pane or dual, you could do an internet search for some if the dealer cannot find one.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:

They are not gas filled but are sealed. Foggy windows is a very common problem on dual pane. Lots of places repair them and there is even a guy on YouTube who does his own:-)
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
They are not gas filled but are sealed. Foggy windows is a very common problem on dual pane. Lots of places repair them and there is even a guy on YouTube who does his own:-)
They are gas filled, https://cdn1.byjus.com/wp-content/up...ion-of-air.png
Old 01-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Maybe from the factory, but I watched a guy repair one of mine and it isn't filled with anything but air.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Maybe from the factory, but I watched a guy repair one of mine and it isn't filled with anything but air.
And wat is it that he linked??

..... https://cdn1.byjus.com/wp-content/up...ion-of-air.png

content - of-air.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a good DIY video on fixing a foggy window. It will give you a good idea on what's involved.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase