Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=dale1;5956336] I'll keep changing parts as long as they are available until she is fixed. [/QUOTE

I would again suggest getting a code reader, this will be the only way to really know what's going on. If nothing else see if a local shop has the ability read codes and see if they'll give you a printout. The codes will be stored in the ECM. Just changing parts can be expensive and cause/lead to other problems.

Not sure on whether you have a CAPS problem or not as from what I've seen it probably would have failed already. There is a transient suppressor that is part of the CAPS system, it is mounted on the side of the engine, it can cause problems but to confirm you'd need the code. You can do a search on this there's been a number of threads on this recently. Seems like as these engines age the gremlins come out.

Here is a copy of my parts page for all the sensors that are on my engine, not sure if yours would be the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins ECM sensors.pdf (123.2 KB, 23 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #58

[QUOTE=jacwjames;5956400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
I'll keep changing parts as long as they are available until she is fixed. [/QUOTE

I would again suggest getting a code reader, this will be the only way to really know what's going on. If nothing else see if a local shop has the ability read codes and see if they'll give you a printout. The codes will be stored in the ECM. Just changing parts can be expensive and cause/lead to other problems.

Not sure on whether you have a CAPS problem or not as from what I've seen it probably would have failed already. There is a transient suppressor that is part of the CAPS system, it is mounted on the side of the engine, it can cause problems but to confirm you'd need the code. You can do a search on this there's been a number of threads on this recently. Seems like as these engines age the gremlins come out.

Here is a copy of my parts page for all the sensors that are on my engine, not sure if yours would be the same.
DANG Jim! I've been searching for this info for years! Thanks for posting it!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
The Cummins Quickserve site it a must if you have a Cummins engine. It provides all the information you need to work on this type of engine and it you have any type of code reader it's even better. You can search the fault code # and it will provide a bunch of information on that code including troubleshooting.

I've downloaded the complete maintenance manual for my coach.

When I look up parts, like the ECM sensor page, I will print it to PDF and save in my files.

Lots of good information and it's all FREE, just have to create and accound and register your engine SN.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The Cummins Quickserve site it a must if you have a Cummins engine. It provides all the information you need to work on this type of engine and it you have any type of code reader it's even better. You can search the fault code # and it will provide a bunch of information on that code including troubleshooting.

I've downloaded the complete maintenance manual for my coach.

When I look up parts, like the ECM sensor page, I will print it to PDF and save in my files.

Lots of good information and it's all FREE, just have to create and accound and register your engine SN.
Jim, out of curiosity..... I accessed "cummins quickserve online", hit "enroll" and it sent me to "store.commins". At that point I had what appeared to be 4 options, which ranged in price from "free" (option1) to $1200/yr (option4). After selecting option 1, I was sent to the check out where I had to put a password. However, never did I have the opportunity to enroll! Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Bill
Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
No Idea
I enrolled in the Quickserve site ~10 years ago. I went in and tried to create a new account and it gave me the same options, I did not go any further. All that I can suggest it to try and check on on the free account and see what happens.

Let us know the result.
I will not recommend others create an account if you are not able to create one.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #62

Jim and All. thanks again. Installed two new sensors. I changed the filters again. also, removed the fuel line from the lift pump and blew compressed air towards the tank and back towards the pump from the tank fill. Inconclusive. I was afraid to apply much pressure. seems restricted both ways, but not sure.

I put it back together. drove 5 or 6 miles. runs great. sounds good. plenty of power until the damn light comes on.

we are leaving tomorrow in it for a 3 hour drive. I promised the prettiest 6 year old on the planet for this to wild adventures.

I'm still hoping that it is fuel related and will clear up with additives that have been installed.

i ordered a fuel pressure sensor but the wrong one came in. I'll keep you posted. dale
Old 10-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #63

If it runs good then not, I suspect your CAPS pump is ok… so far. Starving it for fuel though might hurt it, if it is actually starving for fuel. You seem to be on the right track. That pressure sensor may be protecting the caps from damage.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
My fuel supply line runs from the tank to the primary filter and then to the lift pump, your should be the same.
Where did you apply air to blow back toward the tank and visa versa?
I was able to blow the line back to tank with little to no effort. If you line is restricted that may be your problem. There have been reports that the inside rubber of the fuel line separates and blocks the line, acts like a flapper/check valve. It will run for a while and then it doesn't.

I would be hesitant to drive anywhere with conditions you describe. Ultimately you could be damaging the engine. ECU, CAPS pump etc are all expensive repairs and can leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #65

Quote:
No Idea
I enrolled in the Quickserve site ~10 years ago. I went in and tried to create a new account and it gave me the same options, I did not go any further. All that I can suggest it to try and check on on the free account and see what happens.

Let us know the result.
I will not recommend others create an account if you are not able to create one.
Jim, To bring you up to date, after numerous unsuccessful attempts, I finally contacted the training department of my local Cummins Repair Center and was told the site was sensitive to the search engine being used to access it and was advised to change over to a different search engine and try again. I switched over to "Google" and sure enough, the enrollment form popped up!

So, now that I am enrolled and can see what you were talking about, you were absolutely right! There is a ton of information to be had and no question about it - this is a site every Cummins engine owner should be made aware of it! So, Thanks again Jim, this is great stuff!

Bill
03 American Tradition
Old 10-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear, take the time to go through the different tabs to learn how to navigate the site. You can down load the manuals for reference.
When I look up parts I'll print the sheet to PDF and store it along with any of the troubleshooting documents.

This is a great resource.

I use Firefox but have two different ad blockers running which may be my problem.
I use a different browser if I have trouble

I just tried 2 different browsers with the same result, not sure what options there are to get to the site to create a new account. I guess a new subscriber may have to contact them and see what options there are.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #67

Quote:
Glad to hear, take the time to go through the different tabs to learn how to navigate the site. You can down load the manuals for reference.
When I look up parts I'll print the sheet to PDF and store it along with any of the troubleshooting documents.

This is a great resource.

I use Firefox but have two different ad blockers running which may be my problem.
I use a different browser if I have trouble

I just tried 2 different browsers with the same result, not sure what options there are to get to the site to create a new account. I guess a new subscriber may have to contact them and see what options there are.
Trust me, it wasn't easy. But I was fortunate enough to get a good guy from Cummins on the phone to walk me through the process. Even as I was trying one browser after another he stayed with me, so I knew before it was all said and done, I would get what I was looking for. All I can suggest to others is to keep trying because eventually the right page will come up. No question, there is a terrible flaw with the site, itself. But you are absolutely correct Jim, everybody who has an interest in their engine should join this site, especially if you are your own mechanic!

Bill
03 American Tradition
Old 10-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #68

[QUOTE=jacwjames;5958805]My fuel supply line runs from the tank to the primary filter and then to the lift pump, your should be the same.

Jim, what you just stated makes sense and I only wish this was true with my coach. Unfortunately, on mine, the fuel went through the lift pump BEFORE the primary filter! It took me awhile to find this out but after a series of "check engine" light warnings, followed by a lift pump failure I found what appeared to be wood shavings collecting at the inlet side of the pump. All this took place before I had 1000 miles on the engine! I ended up having to install a 5 micron filter between the tank and the lift pump to protect it. That was over 120,000 miles ago and "knock on wood" ( no pun intended) I haven't had a problem since!

Bill
03 American Tradition ISC 350
Old 10-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #69

Much appreciated information.

This weekend took the old girl down I-75 and back. same symptoms. i was able run the fuel level down to 1/4 tank. filled up a loves and installed a new treatment for algae and cleaner.

i did notice that the light is more sensitive to low RPM. At 2k using manual shifting it's difficult to get the light on. At 1200 RPM. the light will come on with very little throttle.

I have removed the lift pump, and 2 more sensors. I believe one is the fuel pressure sensor. ordered those parts today and expect them sometime this week.

I feel like dummy on the fuel line test last week. Jim, your right the fuel line comes from the tank and goes to the primary filter on the passenger side of the coach first. that filter had black sludge 2 weeks ago. I thought it was algae until i showed it to a diesel mechanic. he was adamite that it appeared to be sludge.

with that though, I do need to verify flow from the tank. he stated that it is very risky to try to pressure the system, Instead, i should put it back together and remove the return line to the tank and inspect that flow with the lift pump running. I will try that next when the new pump arrives.

thanks again. dale
Old 10-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Did the transfer pump have any signs of leaking.

Mine was fine last year, I was keeping an eye on it because of all the reports of it leaking which ultimately resulted in CAPS injection pump failure. Took my rig for a run to fill up with fuel and decided to clean the jack stems and there it was, the pump was leaking. I tightened the 3 bolts with stopped the leak. But was reading more and more threads of failed lift pumps and/or CAPS failures I decided to bit the bullet and install a FASS transfer pump and gauge and completely bypass the lift pump and pressure gauge on the secondary filter.

Now when I turn the key on I can see the fuel pressure gauge calibrate and go to ~16psi and it doesn't vary much while driving. The other benefit is that the FASS pumps ~100gph, meaning most of it goes back to tank and is filtered many times. No more worry about plugged filters.

Tags
engine, light