Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #1

Stop engine light. Stuck in NC

Greetings. Had to go to Wilmington nc today. Cathy’s mom is passing. On the way up had a “stop engine light” came on intermittently. Mainly with a high load. Became worse throughout the day. 11hours. Stopped at a loves. They attempted to change fuel filter. Removed mine and poured half a filter of water out. Had to replace it because they did not have a replacement. Now the stop engine light comes on at hardly any throttle. I could barely run 55. Became a hazard. We made it though. Any thoughts on troubleshooting? Thanks Dale
dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
you have to read those codes. Without that you are shooting in the dark. But it may be that now that you've solved the problem (if you have) a few ignition cycles will clear the codes and get you back to normal. But thats just a guess at this point. If this is the 2001 HR, at least you know its not emissions....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would go to a Napa and buy 2 or 3 sets of both filters and replace. Buy a small fuel container and buy a couple gallons of diesel. Pull the old filter. Fill a new filter with fuel, make sure to plug the center hole. Install filter and start engine and let it run for a little while. Then change the second filter. Drive the motor home and monitor how it is running, any signs of stumbling change the primary again and check the secondary for water, there should be a drain on the bottom.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Now that you have made it, locate new fuel filters and replace all your fuel filters. Water will swell the paper filter media making it hard to get the fuel through. Hopefully you have not had water get into the fuel rail, water destroys injectors. After you get all the filters changed, drain your water separator very frequently for the first few hours. If you continue to get a lot of water out of the separator, you may have to have the tank drained and refilled with fresh fuel. I got a half a tank of water at a Shell one time, thank goodness it was my Toyota PU, only 12 gallons and it had a tank drain.

Best of luck to you.
Dave
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
YC1

Do you have a second fuel filter somewhere? I have two on mine. I have heard that finding the second one on some can be a pain.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you had that much water? You most likely have algae?

Change the filters, pull the codes. Because of the water, I would run some Power Service "Diesel Fuel and Tank Cleaner" for a few tanks.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just some friendly advice.
If you do not know how to change the filters yourself you are at the mercy of repair shops and or mobile mechanics let alone possibly being stranded on the side of the road.
I would suggest doing some research and watching videos on how to this. Next time you have to have this done I would watch, take notes, video it being done. It is not too difficult and should be a skill that any DP owner has.

Buy the correct size filter wrench, usually the fuel filters are pretty accessible but it may take a special type filter wrench to fit in the locations.

Buy extra filters. Also, one of my filters has a plastic bowl on the bottom, this is my primary filter, and sometimes this can be hard to get off. Might be worth getting an extra plastic bowl if you have a filter like this.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Just some friendly advice.
If you do not know how to change the filters yourself you are at the mercy of repair shops and or mobile mechanics let alone possibly being stranded on the side of the road.
I would suggest doing some research and watching videos on how to this. Next time you have to have this done I would watch, take notes, video it being done. It is not too difficult and should be a skill that any DP owner has.

Buy the correct size filter wrench, usually the fuel filters are pretty accessible but it may take a special type filter wrench to fit in the locations.

Buy extra filters. Also, one of my filters has a plastic bowl on the bottom, this is my primary filter, and sometimes this can be hard to get off. Might be worth getting an extra plastic bowl if you have a filter like this.
Good reminder - I just ordered spares to keep in the coach. I should be able to make my intervals occur when Im home but things happen on the road and this thread is a good reminder avoid being stranded, or at the mercy of whatever mechanic is available, and to be prepared.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. It took all morning but I found four filters. Two of each. As soon as the rain eases up I will change them both. I could not find the primary filter. It’s on the left side of the coach behind the oil cooler. Could not see it from the bottom. It has not been changed in a while. And it is the wrong type. No bowl on the bottom. I purchased the right one with the water bowl. I had to go to a big truck shop to get them. I asked them about troubleshooting or checking the codes. They said they were booked out until October :-) coronavirus. Hum? Thanks again for all your help. After I change the filters. I’ll let you know. The fuel Can fill up is a great idea. The repair shop told me that yes I’ll let the system lose prime it could be very costly.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
The repair shop told me that yes I’ll let the system lose prime it could be very costly.

You need to tell us what year model and engine you have.

On some, priming is as easy as cycling the ignition key a couple of times!
Old 09-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a plastic plug that is a tight fit into the center hole, I put it and then fill the filter with CLEAN diesel.

Also, change the primary filter first, cycle the ~5 times without starting then try to start. The change the secondary doing the same thing.

When you pull the primary filter dump out the contents into a clean container and see if there is any evidence of "stuff". If you have black pieces or stuff that is slimy you have an algae problem.

I found this right after we bought our coach, luckily it didn't affect performance. That is when I started to use Biobor, it kills the algae. And I also use Startron which is an enzyme treatment. I'll use this about every ~3 o4 tank fulls when I'm using the coach but if I park it for a length of time I always use it.

Good Luck
Old 09-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
You need to tell us what year model and engine you have.

On some, priming is as easy as cycling the ignition key a couple of times!

Trying to help the OP here so I found this 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter in his Public Profile and checked online and found this info on his MH: Chassis/Engine/Suspension
Standard Features
Raised Rail Roadmaster Chassis
Cummins 330 HP ISC Engine w/Fuel Injection
& Charged Air Allison MH 3000 Transmission
Torque (950 Lbs.-Ft. Max. Net at 1,400 RPM)
Cubic Inch Displacement (504.5/8.3L)
100 gal. Fuel Tank w/Single Fill
Though the OP will need to verify I couldn't find any other different information...
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input. I will attempt the filter changes tomorrow. Had it scanned today at the campground as well. The tech could only do the scan. Don’t know what it means yet. Mrs Fay has not passed away yet. We have to return home Friday. I hope the filters help. Could not find a oil pressure sender except Amazon. No time for that now. Thanks again. Dale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE206B73-C41D-4A88-89C7-43E24BB12256.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	343912   Click image for larger version

Name:	A553FFF9-30DB-4FF3-A0D7-1529159430CA.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	343913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F0F4119A-1220-47A9-9E89-8AD932EF055C.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	343914  
Old 09-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #14

Dale1, with the amount of water you found in that filter the use of a good water remover cannot be overly emphasized. After finding water and algae in my tank, it was recommended that I treat the tank with a combination of the following:
Power Service, "Fuel and Tank Clean" and Power Service, " Bio Kleen". The combination of the two will clean your tank now and if you follow the instructions for routine maintenance, you should prevent this problem in the future.

And of course, as already stated - you will need to change your filters more often until your tank is clean.

Good Luck,
Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light