Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Strange Headlight/Tailight On/Off Issue

Okay, here's a strange one.

We just realized that when we turn the headlights ON, the right, rear tail light and brake light go OFF.

Alternatively, when you turn OFF the headlines, the right, rear tail light and brake light turn back on.

Any ideas?

Could this be related to the installation of our InvisiBrake?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

Two quick thoughts.

First, your posting suggests that your right rear tall light and brake light are normally lit when the headlights are off? That's not good. I say that since you say that when you turn your headlights on, they go off. I am assuming the LEFT tail light and brake light are working properly.

Second, if this condition developed right after the installation of the InvisiBrake, I would be 99% sure that the installer made an error in the process, and he or she needs to correct your problem.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
re: K7JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Two quick thoughts.

First, your posting suggests that your right rear tall light and brake light are normally lit when the headlights are off? That's not good. I say that since you say that when you turn your headlights on, they go off. I am assuming the LEFT tail light and brake light are working properly.

Second, if this condition developed right after the installation of the InvisiBrake, I would be 99% sure that the installer made an error in the process, and he or she needs to correct your problem.
Thanks for the input! Yes, when the lights are ON, the right one goes OFF. The left one stays on normally at all times.

As for the InvisiBrake, we just don't know...because this is the first time my partner has followed me in our car in more than a year. She was behind me and noticed all this the night before last.

So, unfortunately, we can't say for certain if it is related to the InvisiBrake install. Certainly, no one said anything to us at the time...including the installer.

Honestly, it never occurred to us at the time to double-check the installers work. He said all was fine and it just never struck us as something someone would lie about.

These days? We check *everything*.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Wow, "ereadingRV", that is a strange issue. I have no doubt but that the wiring Monaco used in the '99 Diplomat and the '06 Dynasty would only be similar in concept, as they've gone to pretty great lengths to make it complicated on our coach. I have a lot of documentation on our coach, but it really is very model and year specific.

If our documentation is to be believed, on our coach it shows what may have previously been used to be the brake lights input to all four rear light assemblies to be now unused and no longer connected. It appears that the turn signal lamps do double duty as the brake lights, as well. The tail lights (shown as "Marker" lights on the Monaco schematic) are fed from a single point, so there is no way the left side could work independently from the right, in the tail light function. And, on ours, the left turn, the right turn and the tail light power is fed to the pigtail for the "toad" receptacle, as well.

I am a little confused about what I think you are saying about when the headlights are OFF and the right tail light always being ON, because both tail lights should be dark when the headlights are dark with the key ON, as well as when the key is OFF and the coach is parked. It sounds like maybe your right tail light comes ON as soon as the ignition key is turned ON, as long as the headlights are switched OFF. That is a puzzle.

The tail lights should be "ON" whenever the headlight switch is in either the "PARK lights" or the "HEADLIGHTS" position, and should not be switched by brake or turn signal operations. I would expect them to be fed from a common point at the rear of the coach. (Does your coach have a rear run box full of relays, fuses, breakers and connection points?) I would expect the bulb filaments that illuminate with your brake application to be the same bulb filaments that illuminate with your respective turn signals. In that case, I would expect the left and the right brake/turn bulbs to be fed from their two respective single points, also at the rear of the coach. And I would expect those three points to also be present on your tow vehicle plug.

Before we launch each day, after hooking up the car, I turn the headlights to the "PARK" position and activate the four-way flashers. Then I go to the back of the car and I want to see both sides, simultaneously, going "bright", "dim", "bright", "dim", "bright", "dim", etc., and to see the same thing on the back lights of the coach. Since the brake lights on our coach are actually sourced from the turn signal circuits, that procedure tests both left and right turns, the brake and the tail lights all at one time. Makes it an easy one-person operation.

I would think that in the time since your auxiliary brake system was installed, you would have checked your tail, turn and brake lights at least a few times prior to towing. But if not, I really would suspect that an error was made in the installation. Also, just as a thought. Do the lights on the back of the car, when connected, have the same mis-operation as the lights on the coach? And if the car is disconnected, does the coach still have the problem? I'm thinking now of the connections and the diodes in the car. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how those are schematically configured. But if the problem is only when the car is connected, I would be looking for the problem to be in the car, or in the pin connections in the tow plug that may possibly have been configured incorrectly from the beginning.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light