Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Stripped slide gear - any ideas?

Hi all:

We have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with 4 slides. Other than a few minor issues over the years, we've had no difficulties with the slides. This past week, in prepping for a trip, I pushed out the driver's side rear slide (bedroom) and as it reached the end of its travel, the slide motor made a high pitch sound and the slide stopped. In trying to pull the slide in, the same motor sound and the slide did not move. Putting a 5/8" wrench on the slide mechanism, the slide would move in and out with no seeming binding in the mechanism.

In taking off the cover of the transfer gear case, there are four gears, one of which is a stacked plastic transfer gear between the metal electric motor gear and the large metal gear on the slide screw mechanism (see first picture). Operating the slide motor, it was just turning without turning the gear. Further investigation showed that the plastic gear had stripped on both the larger and smaller plastic gears (i.e. both interfacing with the motor and the slide gear - see 2nd picture).

In searching the forums, I haven't seen this issue talked about. I probably haven't searched adequately b/c I'm surprised this plastic gear hasn't failed for anyone else...Has anyone experienced this and if so, any hints as to where I can get this gear (it'd be great if I could find it in metal!)?

Thanks in advance!

Tim L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_gear_box.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	27364   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	27365  

Doctor Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We had an issue with our slide motor. resulted from a remote control getting caught between the wall and the slide and caused the motor gear to strip out. Hubby had to get a new motor assembly, (they didn't sell the stripped out gear on it's own) It was a fairly easy replacement but cost about $400.00 for the mistake of letting remote fall into the wrong spot.....
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Log into the monacoers web site great parts list and old master mechanics that can help with most problems
tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue with the road side BR slide gear box. Mine's little different than yours in that the drive gear is a worm drive. All the other gears are metal and the gear with the most torque applied is a nylon or plastic gear. I tried to get parts but no one, including the mfg. would sell just the gear. I had to replace the entire motor/gearbox mechanism that was mucho $$$ . I checked the gearbox I have left but it's different than yours or it would have been yours.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tim; That is a step gear which is a variation of the spur gear. Boston gear has some listed. If not see if you have a manufacturer stamped on the gear, if so goggle it.

Hope this helps
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar issue a several years ago. I was able to purchase a similar plastic gear (bought a couple) for my slide motor. Everyone wanted to sell me an entire motor assembly and gear box, crazy!!

I was given this company from a tech at LCI, he said this is where they were getting their parts, that was quite a few years ago, I'm sure a lot has changed since then with LCI.

I can't remember who I spoke with there but give them a call. They were great to deal with.

Linear Actuators, Military Linear Actuators for Motion Control, Military Applications Manufactured by Venture Mfg. Co.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes. I really don't want to buy an all new gear box....

BTW: CraigA thanks for the Venture Mfg. Co. reference - while there are no markings on the gear itself, on the back of the drive box, engraved in an incredibly hard to read script are the words "Venture Mfg. Co."....I'm thinking that CraigA is onto something there...

Tim
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found this at one of our sponsor sites.
Lippert Venture Motor 18:1 Replacement Gear Set

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thump View Post
Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes. I really don't want to buy an all new gear box....

BTW: CraigA thanks for the Venture Mfg. Co. reference - while there are no markings on the gear itself, on the back of the drive box, engraved in an incredibly hard to read script are the words "Venture Mfg. Co."....I'm thinking that CraigA is onto something there...

Tim
Tim,

I do remember that the replacement plastic gears were somewhere around $11.00, I ordered a couple of them. I also purchased a replacement motor while I was on the phone with them , it was very reasonable. It's amazing that most places will tell you that you have to purchase an entire gear box

I'm sure Venture will have what you need.

Craig
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

Score! Called Venture Manufacturing (from weblink posted by CraigA) and the gears are on their way. I had to buy 5 to meet their $50. minimum purchase requirement - I intend to keep a couple (just in case) since that gear appears to be designed as the weak link in the gearbox. If anyone wants/needs a couple let me know.

My options were to buy the whole gearbox for $165; or
A complete set of gears for $65; or
5 of the plastic gears for $10 each (for a total of $50).

BTW: Sue in Parts at Venture was great (and helpful)...

Thanks all - another example of why these forums are the best!

Tim

Tags
slide