RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Stuck in neutral

HI I'm new to the forum and need some help. I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Neptune 37PDQ. I parked it in storage about 3 months ago after winterizing.
I parked with the jacks down.

4 days ago I started it up, raised the jacks and tried to back it up. The shifter ( I think its an Allison 2500MH) will not shift out of neutral. The Tach reads about 750 -800 RPM and the jacks down light went out as usual, I checked the transmission oil level, its normal.

I can't find any reason why it should not shift out of neutral. I cycled the jacks a few more times, ran the motor til it was warm and transmission temp gauge started to rise, still no luck.

I get the feeling there is some switch or range inhibit condition that I am overlooking. I tired to read error codes, but when I press the up and down arrows at the same time, it just shows one 'N" in the shift indicator - no error codes. Any suggestions?
mgmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #2

Try cycling the shifter through Drive (D), Neutral (N), and Reverse (R) several times and then back to R. Happened to me once and cycling the shifter worked for me. If it will not release from Neutral, you need more help then I can provide. Good luck!

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe 750-800rpm is too high.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
hmmm, good luck. mine's an 08, and as far as I can tell there is not any interlocks that will prevent the trans from engaging a gear. It will move just fine with the slides out, and has no problem trying to move with the jacks down, if I ignore the alarm from the power gear system.

Are you sure the emergency brake is off?
Is your air pressure up?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

The only interlock is the rpm being too high. The other thing is going into drive but the brakes are rusted on so it will not move? Does the transmission indicator show that it is going into D but it is just not movine or does the indicator always show N?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

It does sound like your rpm might be somewhat high. Do you have a smart wheel with the cruise contro function on the wheel? If you do try the following procedure:

1. Engine running and the cruise control off.
2. Press either the set function or the resume function (one raises rpm & one lowers rpm by about 25 but I can't remember which is which).
3. Shoot for an idle rpm of about 700.
4. This adjustment will be permanent until changed by this procedure.

It could be your current rpm is just a little too high to allow transmission engagement.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some vehicles.. You gotta stand on the brakes to get 'em out of neutral.

Do not know if your MH is one of them.. but it is the one thing many forget.

True story... Went to breakfast with the assistant manager of the place I worked, I was getting something out of his car as he went in.. So when done I handed him the ignition key... He did not know how to get the key out of the lock.. I did, automatically and without thinking (my car worked the same way)
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the help, still working on it.

The problem is that it will not try to shift out of Neutral - always shows "NN". The air pressure is good 115 psi, tried cycle from N - D - R a lots & tried it with and without parking brake and service brakes on.

I met a local mobile RV repairman at the storage where I have it parked and mentioned the RPMs might be too high, but he said it was under 800 and should be OK. He tried all the electrical connections and verified electric power at the shift motor mounted on the transmission, but couldn't find anything wrong. He suggested I call Allison or Holiday Rambler customer support Monday.

I think I may try to get out tomorrow to see if I can reduce the RPM a little, just to make sure. I don't have a smart steering wheel - just a dumb one with cruise control on the side console. I think I will have to pop the engine cover and try to reset the idle at the air intake. I'll let you all know what happens next.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #10

If you turn the ignition switch on or have the motor running is your ECON MODE led red light on?

One thing to try is a total Allison ECU reset. Disconnect your ground cable from your chassis battery for at least 15 minutes then connect it back up and try again.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Please keep us informed on your progress. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If you turn the ignition switch on or have the motor running is your ECON MODE led red light on?

One thing to try is a total Allison ECU reset. Disconnect your ground cable from your chassis battery for at least 15 minutes then connect it back up and try again.
I agree with Mike, do a reset as he describes and let all of us know how you make out. If it doesn't work we'll have to think of another fix.... Jim
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I could't find a way to reduce the idle, I think it's ok anyway, the tach is reading about half way between 500 & 1000 and sounds normal. Since its a turbo diesel I guess it's electronic control.

I just disconnected the battery - pos & neg and will try the reset as Mike suggested. The mode indicator only came on if I pushed the mode button.

If the battery disconnect does not work I am going to try disconnecting the TCM for about 30 min.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mgmyers,
You don't mention where you are. Could the problem be it is just too cold combined with lack of use? I know it sounds dumb, especially with all the technical experts helping you, but I've found cold weather does unusual and strange things to our coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote