Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Stuck in Walmart...No Air

Hi All: I am in the Fort Pierce Walmart on Sunday morning. I started my coach but it will not build up air. Any ideas?

2000 Monaco Dynasty
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
After starting, did you even hear the air dryer blow off?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ref air dryer, it will not "blow off" until full pressure is reached. Were the temps below freezing overnight while you were parked. If so it could be a case that you have excess moisture in your system and the air governor froze in the closed (not build air) position. How long did you let the motor run? If it is the governor froze it should thaw out after the engine reaches temp, then shut off and sets for about 1/2 hr for the heat from the motor to thaw the governor.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Ref air dryer, it will not "blow off" until full pressure is reached. Were the temps below freezing overnight while you were parked. If so it could be a case that you have excess moisture in your system and the air governor froze in the closed (not build air) position. How long did you let the motor run? If it is the governor froze it should thaw out after the engine reaches temp, then shut off and sets for about 1/2 hr for the heat from the motor to thaw the governor.
OP is in Florida, his location called for a low of 48 last night..........
If the dryer does not blow off.......OP is going to have to unhook the air line from the compressor and see if it is making air, then if it is, by-pass the dryer till repaired.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

Suddenly not making air on start up is usually the air regulator on the compressor. In 30 years of trucking this has happened to me several times. When it goes bad it shuts off the output of the compressor and results in no air. The regulator sometimes will start to work by hitting it lightly with a small hammer but usually needs to be replaced. Any truck stop or NAPA should have the regulator and they are not very expensive. You will need a 7/16 wrench and 1/2 wrench to R&R.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

The air regulator ( governer ) stops the compressor from pumping by lifting the valves, thru air pressure. Without air pressure, it`t won`t stop the compressor.

Look at the bottom of your air dryer, and feel if air is escaping, while running. If yes plug the hole or disconect the large lines from the dryer and hook them together, to by pass it.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are any of the jacks down just a little bit? On ours if any jack is down the air is dumped.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #8

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I had to put in some air into to front air chuck, by the generator. After getting about 20 pounds into the system the compressor took off. I changed the governor a few days later and it's been good so far. My air had blead to zero and wouldn't start up.

Good luck.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for replying. I cycled the HWH leveling system a number of times....dump air, hit off, hit on....

It finally built up pressure enough for us to drive down to the Keys....we are here now and ready for a cocktail....

I'll read your advice and let you know if I find anything out.

Again.....THANK YOU....
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #10

So you got back full pressure on both your tanks?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Pat not knowing how much you know about your Haladex air dryer I will post as if you know nothing, Your dryer needs service at least every 2 yrs with kit DQ6026 and it pretty expensive probably north $125, this dryer has a inner filter (Coalescing ) that is prone to rupture if not serviced and a outer Desiccant. If the inner filter burst it contaminates the dryer and usually causes the unloaded to hang wide open or it sounds like in your case part way open. the dryer is located over the Allison trans up on the main frame, if you are hearing air escape in that area then a new dryer is the only answer but you can bypass the dryer until you get home or home base without any problems just get a 1/2 T and a 1/2 to 1/4 bushing remove the inlet and outlet lines from the dryer then the fittings also the 1/4 inch plastic line (from the air governor) use a small open wrench that just fits over the 1/4 inch line and strike it lightly to unlock the lock on the 1/4 inch fitting while holding pressure on the lock pull the line free then remove the 1/4 fitting and install all fittings into the T hook back up then you should be able to travel without the possibility of stuck on the side of the road.
Pat I cant tell by your post where the air leak is but from prior experience with the type air dryer that came on the 2000 Dyn I suspect it as the problem. I removed it from our coach and installed a Meritor Wabco R955205 at about 1/2 the price of the Haladex ( I have two good Haladex air dryers in my shop that is free to anyone ) the filter for this dryer can be bought for under $50 part #R950011 and generally can get the dryer and filter on Ebay for around $200.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I made it to my destination for last night but had to move the rig to our final destination this morning (2 miles away). Had the same problem but was lucky to get it parked and set up. I will admit that I don't know too much about this rig's compressor/dryer situation but I am willing to try and do it myself before I give someone a call.

First, where is the compressor/dryer located? Is it in the engine compartment? I know the air tanks are under the rig.

We are here for a month in Cudjoe Key just between Marathon and Key West so I am not in a panic situation.....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

Pat, you are lucky. Not sure you know this but if your air pressure gets down to around 30 psi while driving down the road it will lock up the back brakes. Just like applying the parking brake. It is a safety feature but if you are at highway speeds it is going to be scary for you and everyone on the road around you. Glad you made it ok. With the motor running have you walked around the motorhome to see if you can hear the air leak?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As Walt mentioned there is an upper service kit. There is also a lower service kit. DQ6020 is the one with the purge valve.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote